Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to sound like a nub, but does it matter what gas to use? I use the most premium for my bike since it would seem to be the best could that cause any damange to my bike? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can use any gas you want without it doing damage to your bike. Some people swear by premium, but it's really no big deal.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
my r6 has a sticker directly on the tank that says only 91 octane or up, so i am stuck usung premium

·
Registered
130 Posts
When you can only put 4 gallons in at a time, what difference does it make? If you own an $8k motorcycle, but you can't put premium gas in it once in a while, maybe you shoulda bought something else.

For info, I always use premium just because. Except for warranty issues, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Your wasting money buying gas that's not recommended for your bike. If the owners manual says to use 85 octane, 91 octane will not give it more power, will not give it better gas mileage or do anything besides waste money. If it says to use 91 octane and you use a lower octane, that can cause pinging and damage to your engine. So use just what the manual calls for. This is for stock engines though, if you have a modified engine with new compression or something, then your on your own.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i use 89 in my gixxer. The manual says anything from 87-90 is best. The most power you are gonna have is from the lowest octane you can use without pinging. The higher the number, the harder it is to burn.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Iced is correct. I work in the gasoline certification lab for a major oil company. Running higher octane than your engine calls for gains you nothing. It only costs you more. I have seen studies that say that running higher octane actually makes LESS power if you engine doesn't need it.
The one exception to this is when you are parking your bike for the winter, or for an extended time (longer than 1 month). Premium fuel will last longer without oxidizing, which is what gums up your carbs.
I have 1 bike that requires premium and 2 that require regular...that's what I run in them except for when I park them for the winter. Then I fill them up with premium and add some Sta-bil.

·
Registered
139 Posts
zx11_12 said:
Iced is correct. I work in the gasoline certification lab for a major oil company. Running higher octane than your engine calls for gains you nothing. It only costs you more. I have seen studies that say that running higher octane actually makes LESS power if you engine doesn't need it.
The one exception to this is when you are parking your bike for the winter, or for an extended time (longer than 1 month). Premium fuel will last longer without oxidizing, which is what gums up your carbs.
I have 1 bike that requires premium and 2 that require regular...that's what I run in them except for when I park them for the winter. Then I fill them up with premium and add some Sta-bil.
beat me to it. :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
What's the best way to clean my chain....

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
yeah wtf

·
Politically incorrect
508 Posts
Octane rating, is anything more misunderstood?

Gasoline is composed of hydrogen and carbon atoms. Octane is gasoline composed of 8 carbon atoms per molecule. The octane rating, traditionally, was a measure of what percentage of gasoline is composed of octane molecules. 90 octane gas is composed of 90% octane gasoline molecules and 10% heptane gasoline molecules and other additives. There are several ways to measure octane which is why you can have gas with an octane rating of over 100.

Octane, amongst the gasoline molecules (heptane, octane, nenane, decane) has the desirable characteristic that it can be compressed quite a lot before it spontaneously combusts. It also burns slower. A 4 cycle car engine doesn't count on spontaneous combustion. Instead it assumes that combustion will occur when the spark plug fires. If the gasoline combusts before the spark plug fires (beginning of power stroke), the engine will not make maximum power and can be damaged

The compression ratio of the engine determines the amount of octane you need in gasoline. The higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane percentage.

Here is the key thing. Your car's performance is a function of how many BTU's of energy it can process in a given period of time. Does higher octane gasoline possess more BTU's per gallon than lower octane gasoline - emphatically NO (octane and heptane have the SAME BTU rating)!! Thus using gasoline with more octane than required to control pre detonation, gives no added value, and may cause unburned gasses to pass directly to the catalytic converter unburned, shortening its life. As far as I know neither of the two molecules of gasoline used in the gasoline you buy has superior cleaning ability.

If you want really high energy fuel, try nitroglycerine.

My father was a petroleum engineer who worked for Standard Oil of Ohio until he retired, and clued me in, about the reality of octane. Another fact that you might not be aware of. It is not at all uncommon for some gas stations to use refined products from any petroleum refiner when they get into a bind. When you see those generic bulk tankers pulling into your favorite Sunoco, what are you getting?

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
My bike recommends 92 octane and up. Who the hell stocks anything above 91?? Only Sinclair does around here, but they are few and far in between. So, I use 91. I should stock up on some octane boosters.

I'm going to continue using 91 and up and see how the spark plugs look after a few thousand miles. ( just changed them lately ). If they come out fairly clean, I'm going to stick with the premium stuff. If they are more foul than my armpits on a warm summers eve, forgeddaboutid!!! I'll be dropping octanes!

edit: good post SMFCPACFP! I'm enlightened.

·
Registered
130 Posts
One or two points is not going to make that much difference. I know that certain engineers claim certain things, but the difference between the three is very small. You could run my Aurora (which claimed to require premium) on regular for several fill-ups and then toss in a tank of premo and it'd run awesome.

I agree that a small amount of money could be wasted by using gas that is higher than you need, but people, we're talking about fractions of dollars especially in regards to bike tanks and motors. The average rider shouldn't worry too much as long as the bike doesn't ping.

·
Registered
229 Posts
ASharpMind said:
Go with premium... Why risk a 10k+ Machine?
Because you're not risking anything by putting in lower octane gas if the bike is designed to use it. You're just wasting money (and power). As long as you're not buying cheapass gas at the local Quicky-Mart in the first place, using 87 octane in a motor designed to use 87 octane isn't going to hurt it at all.

If you'd rather pay 2.65 a gallon for gas when the stuff for 2.25 will probably work better, then by all means go right ahead.

·
Registered
528 Posts
ASharpMind said:
Go with premium... Why risk a 10k+ Machine?
Maybe because I don't want to ruin my bike by using fuel my bike wasn't designed to run on. And, BTW, for those of you who didn't get Eyespy's comment as sarcasm, why do we keep having the same damn subject every single week? Gas, along with what you use to clean your damn chain, along with what oil you use, along with what would be a good first bike, along with what helmet should I buy.............does the search function not work anymore?? :rolleyes

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
I got the sticker....91 or better... I bow to Suzuki and put in the 8 bucks of high octane...

But the mustang gets the reqd 87 :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Just use what the people who designed the damn bike say use. They designated a specific octane level for a reason. They have nothing to gain by telling you to put premium only in your tank its not like they are getting kickbacks from the oil industry.

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
Use what the manufacturer tells you to. Thats what the engine is designed for. My bike says use 87, so thats what i use. Premium could HURT my power figures by delaying detonation too far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts