Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2008 Hyosung gt250 naked. I want to commute to school that's 32 miles away (64 miles round trip) which takes me about 45 minutes each way. The speed limit posted is 75 mph. I went on an empty stretch of road and got the bike up to 80 mph. I was in 5th gear reving about 8k rpm, tucked. The stock Hyo's red line is 11k. Will cruising at this rpm for 45 minutes hurt the motor? I think I'll definately burn some oil but will it mess the motor up over the long run?

thanks!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Asking a disposable Chinese bike to hold top speed for 1.5 hours every day? I think you'll eventually be on the side of the road hoping your cell phone was properly charged. Just hope it doesn't lock up the rear tire on you when it does it.
I personally wouldn't do that to my Japanese 250 either. It would probably survive, but still.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
As long as your matiance is up to date you should be fine. Keep an eye on your oil level every day or so.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Asking a disposable Chinese bike to hold top speed for 1.5 hours every day? I think you'll eventually be on the side of the road hoping your cell phone was properly charged. Just hope it doesn't lock up the rear tire on you when it does it.
I personally wouldn't do that to my Japanese 250 either. It would probably survive, but still.

thanks for the input :)

But just fyi, Hyosung is Korean and 80 is not my top speed ;)

still, I understand that pushing a 250 this way would prolly not be ideal. I can see how this can cause issues....maybe ill take the side roads and cruise @ 50

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
bad idea.

Isn't there a thread on here where a guy talks about his hyosung's blown engine... didn't even last him a year, BRAND NEW!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/455972-new-bike-opinions.html

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/hyosung/452110-thinking-about-buying-hyosung-gt250r.html

Dude joined the forum in February 2012 and didn't own a bike yet. By August 2012 he had shopped for, purchased, and blew out a 2012 hyosung GT250r... just over 7000 miles on it.
Well, yeeeeaaahhh....24hrs non stop would put a lot of strain on any motor, especially an oil cooled one... idk maybe ill just take the side roads instead of the highway

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well, yeeeeaaahhh....24hrs non stop would put a lot of strain on any motor, especially an oil cooled one... idk maybe ill just take the side roads instead of the highway
I don't know about how your bike does on mileage vs speed, but on mine it would be worth it for mpg alone. Your bike is different and might not be like that though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Actually those small displacement motorcycle engines are very tough. The main thing is to use a fully synthetic MOTORCYCLE oil that will not break down if the engine gets very hot. It will rev all day at 8000 rpm (cruising revs on my Triumph 675) no problem. Be sure to stay with the flow of traffic for safety. Make sure the spark plugs are good and keep the chain lubed and in adjustment.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem at all. You're at 3/4 of maximum sustained revs - well within operating spec.

My 1987 K100RS is happiest in fifth gear at 5K and 80mph on a 8,500 redline. That's roughly comparable revs, and those bikes are known for doing hundreds of thousands of miles. I would think nothing of running it at 7K all day.

KeS

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually those small displacement motorcycle engines are very tough. The main thing is to use a fully synthetic MOTORCYCLE oil that will not break down if the engine gets very hot. It will rev all day at 8000 rpm (cruising revs on my Triumph 675) no problem. Be sure to stay with the flow of traffic for safety. Make sure the spark plugs are good and keep the chain lubed and in adjustment.
what about t6 rotella? Motorcycle specific synthetic is almost 50 bucks for the amount needed!:tremble

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lots of good advise on here :) Ill prolly try it a few times and see how it goes. this isnt my last bike so if i feel it's a strain on it, ill stay off the 75 mph highway till the next bike

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
what about t6 rotella? Motorcycle specific synthetic is almost 50 bucks for the amount needed!:tremble
I as well as plenty of other riders use T6 exclusively. It's the only non-moto synthetic oil that meets the requirements for motorcycles. Can't beat the the price either.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
A properly maintained piston engine should be able to maintain 75% power all day with no issues. Sounds like about what the OP is asking about (75% power). I only wish I could maintain 75% power on my bike. Thing'd go faster than my aircraft.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts