Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry yall I been whoring around here lately with the posts..

Anyway Currently I am just using calf high leather boots nothing special but they work good just not really made for the bike thing. Well I was wondering from those that wear these kinds of boots a couple of questions:

1. are they very comfortable on and off the bike?

2. are these kind of boots overdoing it for street use? (should these kind be kept on the track?)

3. do they last long or are they something you end up replacing pretty quick?

4. are they worth the money most boots of this type cost??

Here is a pic of what I am talking about but I am sure most of the boots of this style say alpinestars or whatever are roughly the same.

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
1) i wear my boots everytime i ride. suprisingly they are more comfortable than they look. i wear them all night and my feet dont ache when i get home.

2) there really is no overdoing it when it comes to gear. i usually wear full suit, helmet, gloves, and boots when i ride. here lately ive been ditching teh suit cuz of the heat but you cant be too safe. unless i have a passenger, i wear the suit everytime i come up to kc for sure...

3) my boots have held up just fine thus far. almost 2yrs old

4) definately worth the money. have you seen the vid of that guy that went down only wearing shoes? shaved his ankle bone flat with teh rest of his foot. :2eek not to mention how many peeps' shoes simply fly off when they wreck...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good points. I gear up as well but not quite that much with the full race suit. But always leather pants helmet & gloves & boots and at minimum mesh summer jacket My boots have held up well but I will be replacing them soon and I'm trying to decide if something along these lines is the direction I want to go..

·
Registered
617 Posts
I concur.

I wear mine all the time and they are super comfy. I have a 3 yr. old set of a-stars and they have held up just fine. I always go with as much protection as possible-you never know when you will need it...

-Nick

·
Registered
8 Posts
1.) I wear the Alpinstar SMX boot. They were a bitch to break in, but now they aren't so bad.
2.) I don't think anything is really 'overdoing' it. I wear my boots everywhere. I read somewhere that the ankle is extremely vulnerable to permanent damage. Nuff said for me.
3.) Got about 3 years on my boots, but they could use replacing soon.
4.) Check www.newenough.com for boots on blow out. They regularly sell boots pretty cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One more thing. If track days aren't your thing. Sidi sells the Strada that I've heard peeps rave about. 'posed to be very comfortable on and off the bike.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Or MAW, joe rocket hard drives 172.00 free shipping.

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
chicw/speed said:
Or MAW, joe rocket hard drives 172.00 free shipping.

:hshot

didnt we have this discussion about MAW earlier?

MAW

·
Registered
38 Posts
1BAD9 said:
One more thing. If track days aren't your thing. Sidi sells the Strada that I've heard peeps rave about. 'posed to be very comfortable on and off the bike.
yep yep..... these are mine. The fit was a little off. I wear a 11... the ones i got were supposed to be 11's but they are a snug 11. They are waterproof, mud proof.... and water hose proof. Pretty damn comfortable. Being waterproof they are really hot in this heat though. I haven't been wearing them when it gets above 85.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The real motorcucle boots are very comfortable it makes shiting easer and quicker. They hold up much better than a regular sho to riding. I had to replace my street shoes on a regular basis because the shifter was hard on the top of the boot and this was no deal. The motorcycle boots are far more comfortable than a regular shoe for riding. I have had mine for four years and they work fine they could use some more velcrow but after several crahes on the track they have held up fine. One of these crashes the bike landed on to of my food and drug it for a wile. If this was a street boot I would have ben looking at a brused and rashed up foot at the least and very likly a broken anchle. Tennis shoes would have ben very very painful. With the boot it was not even sore. I got a scrape on my shin when I was a kid from a bycycle and it took forever to heal up and I have a scar even now. some of the boots like the SMX regular can be worn inside your jeans so no one can see. I never ride without my booths gloves and helmits if I can avoid it and I try to wear a full suit or jacket with it if I can.

Riding well is 90% a mental game the more protected you feel the more comfortable you are going to be on the bike.

·
Registered
617 Posts
smokenjoe said:
The real motorcucle boots are very comfortable it makes shiting easer and quicker.
Really? I didn't know it helps bowel movements by wearing motorcycle boots :lol :twofinger

-Spooner

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Ouch.

I need to start dumping more money in gear. If this weekends events aren't enough that fact that I have already been through that once in my life. Course I don't really know where to begin.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Spooner said:
Really? I didn't know it helps bowel movements by wearing motorcycle boots :lol :twofinger

-Spooner
omg, rotflmaoooooffff

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
yeah joe, you are wayyyyyy overdue for new boots man. im not sure just some velcro will save those poor boots...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wear Sidi Race Verts about 90% of the time. They are surprisingly comfortable to walk in - as long as the temperature isn't terribly high. I've gone all day in them on quite a few occasions with no ill effects. Jeans will cover them just fine - you don't have to wear them over your pants.

Sometimes I'll wear short pants under my Aerostitch if I'll be lounging around for a while when I get where I'm going. In these cases I'll wear leather work boots. Look like a dork wearing race boots and short pants - uber squid! If I plan to be riding aggressively I'll wear the Sidi's anyway and risk the dork/squid points at hang out spots.

Race boots are definitely NOT overkill on the street. Try a few brands/models and pick what's most comfortable for you. Expensive, yes. But not as expensive as ankle surgery, skin grafts, physical therapy, etc.....

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
EricKC said:
Ouch.

I need to start dumping more money in gear. If this weekends events aren't enough that fact that I have already been through that once in my life. Course I don't really know where to begin.
you have already started. you have a helmet. I haven't really noticed though, do you have gloves? Seriously, I would recommend, a good pair of gauntlet style gloves (if you don't have them already), a good leather jacket (or at the bare minimum a textile/leather jacket) and a good pair of boots.

I also have the A-stars SMX boots and am very very happy with them. I was actually debating between the SMX, the SIDI vert II's and Oxtar. I went w/the SMX b/c the other two pairs were backordered in my size (I wear a 40) for like 3 months and I didn't want to wait. They're very comfy (unless you are in them for like 18 hours like i was saturday/sunday) and my feet don't get hot/sweaty.

As for the race boots on the street, ya, you really cannot go overboard with them. They are designed for one purpose and that is to protect your feet. It doesn't matter if that is on the track or the street, the end result is the same: your foot is protected. And to second what greg said, cheaper than skin grafts and a lot less painful.

I seem to recall Spooner having boots in the shop (in addition to gloves, jackets and helmets...for any and all that are interested).

I have got to get me a new helmet though...maybe next month unless anyone wants to donate to the buy brandy a new helmet fund :D

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I used to wear gloves, just leather ones.. I dont' know why I stopped i just did. But no I don't have any gloves that would do me any good in a fall.

Well I will start with a leather jacket, Joe Rocket or something that has some body armor pockets. Look into gloves too. I should head on out to Spoons at some point.

Yeah get off that Icon, ya squid. Next it will be the bling bling gloves for you.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
silent_R1 said:
. They're very comfy (unless you are in them for like 18 hours like i was saturday/sunday) and my feet don't get hot/sweaty.
I recall TWICE the statement of.. "Brandy, you want to change?" come up.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
yeah, i know, but you know i didn't want to leave...oh well, my feet healed already. not a big deal.

you know, i love my helmet, but i had the visor pop up at speed the other night on the highway and i'm not going to chance that happening at a critical situation. maybe i can find one in an Arai that is just a distincitve...

yeah, you need to get over to see spoon, just stay away from the Icon Bling gloves...hey lee, still got that pic?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts