Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that has these, what do you think of it? I'm worried that it will turn the world 'bluish' and I won't like it, or it will make things stand out less (as compared to say a smoked shield or sunglasses).

Any opinions or experiences?

This would be a blue iridium HJC shield, BTW.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
After a short time your eyes/brain will adjust and you won't notice it. The Iridium shields generally will require an bit more care to avoid scratching than the ordinaly tinted ones though and are more expensive to replace.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
bajjer9 said:
my biggest complaint is you can see your reflection in the shield and on a bright day thats annoying
thats also about my only complaint about the Iridium shields, that and as already mentioned they are real delicate when it comes to scratches

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reflection thing could get annoying. I notice it slightly with my clear shield.

I think I'll just stick with a smoked shield then.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
iridium shields are nice for about a month.

then they start to suck as the scratches accumulate, which is unavoidable with all the bugs, rain, dirt, zippers there are in the world. Alright if you dedicate one to track days only.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I had a iridium shield on my suomy helmet and it was great for the first two months and then it went to shit. It scratches easy and needs to be replaced.

·
pick your poison
2,972 Posts
Ive own 1 mirror shield & that was 1 too many. Like stated above after a month or so they suck.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
I've had my blue mirror shield on my Scorpion for a few months. NO scratches at all. You guys must be rough on shields! To give you perspective... I ride to work EVERYDAY... probably took the cage 3 times in the last 3 months. I've gotten plenty of bug splatter on it. I'm just careful what I clean it with.

No, things don't look blue through 'em. Mine looks the same as wearing a pair of sunglasses.

They will reflect back at you though. Sometimes I can see my eyes staring back at me.

Overall, I love the shield. If something happened to it, I'd definitely go get another one. Just take care of it and you will be fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use Gold Iridium shield on my Suomy.. Love it, best looking light out there, and the Suomy lenses are Iridium coated on inside. Mine is almost a year old with no scratches, but it is starting to flake on corners wear shield meets helmet

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
I wear sunglasses. I tend to ride with my visor flipped up in slow traffic to get air and the shades help a bit of shit flying into the helmet and with the sun glasses when it starts getting dark I take them off and slip them into my riding jacket. Not a lot of lighted roads where I live so I have to do somethings bassackwards.

·
Registered
424 Posts
How dark are the iridium shields? Are they too dark to wear at night? I'm trying to find a shield that I can wear in the morning on the way to work so I don't have to carry an extra shield with me(clear in the am and tinted in the afternoon). I keep thinking about getting the mirror iridium for my silver Shoei RF-1000, but I don't want to get it if I'm going to have to continue to switch it with the clear one everyday.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Camride said:
How dark are the iridium shields? Are they too dark to wear at night? I'm trying to find a shield that I can wear in the morning on the way to work so I don't have to carry an extra shield with me(clear in the am and tinted in the afternoon). I keep thinking about getting the mirror iridium for my silver Shoei RF-1000, but I don't want to get it if I'm going to have to continue to switch it with the clear one everyday.

On my Scorpion, the blue shield is tinted enough that I wouldn't use it if you are riding country roads in pitch dark. It's *acceptable* if you are in an urban atmosphere with a decent amount of street lights, building lights, etc. Still, there's some visibility lost. It's not ideal, but I get away with riding home at night with mine (I work 3:30 to Midnight, so my ride is split day/night). I've considered getting some clear goggles or glasses to wear at night and just leave the visor up. Also, there is a possiblility of getting pulled over if you use it at night, so that's something else to consider.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
just got my new Shoei RF-1000 in today, I got a mirror shield and it is atleast 10x better than the HJC mirror shield I was using, the clarity is just crazy compared to the HJC, and there is also VERY VERY little to NO glare with the Shoie shield.

·
Registered
17 Posts
regarding Camride ? How dark are the iridium shields? (too dark)Are they too dark to wear at night?(Yes) I'm trying to find a shield that I can wear in the morning on the way to work so I don't have to carry an extra shield with me(your best bet it just to stick with a clear one). I keep thinking about getting the mirror iridium for my silver Shoei RF-1000, but I don't want to get it if I'm going to have to continue to switch it with the clear one everyday.(if you get an irduim one yes you will need to switch it for nite rides i have seem some were these at night not me and i have seen some people go down for that reason, also if you want something with tint compare to your clear shoei has a lite tint , it the same price as the dark but i went with the irduim cause it makes a big differnce look factor on myhelmet (BAD ASS) ..hope that helps

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
I have a blue iridium on my Suomy, and can tell virtually no difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GreenZED said:
iridium shields are nice for about a month.

then they start to suck as the scratches accumulate, which is unavoidable with all the bugs, rain, dirt, zippers there are in the world. Alright if you dedicate one to track days only.

why don't you just use tear offs?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts