Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into what classes of amateur racing I want to do and where I will be doing it so I will find out the specifics of the rules for where I compete but I am curious:

In general is ABS not allowed at all in most amateur racing?

Side question: How about AMA or WSBK?

I haven't really watched either of those, only MotoGP so I'm curious if any of the professional stuff uses ABS or is this simply something that is put on a bike for street riders at this point in time?

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Generally it's legal if it's stock but you can't add aftermarket. Most pro racers don't find ABS helpful under most circumstances and end up disabling it. Where they would find it most useful is during trail braking and that's where ABS works least well (leaned way over).

KeS

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man.

I love the wealth of experience and knowledge on this message board.

I'm sure I'll be asking many more questions to learn various things over time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not going to be in Florida for long, my job takes me all over the place.

Going to get some more track time in at Jennings before I move on but I am finding myself in Jackson, MS soon and then after I set that place up I will be in Toronto more than likely.

Hence the reason I am asking about "racing in general" so I know what I can expect.

It is a moot point now though because I won't do ABS since everyone I've spoken with has told me the same thing, as well as everyone online. ABS has no place on the track so I don't care if the rules allow it or not. =)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Abs is Great in the wet ONLy, useless most other places, most people dont ride the track in the rain or it would be great there too.

The quality of ABS varies alot, some systems really suck and others are very usable.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Abs is Great in the wet ONLy, useless most other places, most people dont ride the track in the rain or it would be great there too.

The quality of ABS varies alot, some systems really suck and others are very usable.
1st point. ABS is Great for conditions with abnormal grip, a wet road being a prime example. Other examples include gravel, manhole covers, road paint, and any number of road hazard out there.

It's also useful in panic stops when you're brain is preoccupied with the car you're about to hit and not the road surface or a smooth even brake application. Which are entirely different from the quick stops you did in the MSF during practice.

2nd point. ABS systems do vary a lot. Some are horrible, some are sublime. Keep in mind that a motorcycle with weak brakes or bad tires is going to take longer to stop regardless of how good it's ABS is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts