Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my new Laser quads today. Han are they sweet. Their kinda tricky to put together but a little time and some patience and they look friggin AWESOME!!!. I got the cat eliminator with it. man does it sound like a beast. Of couse I'm using the sport baffles, which are nothing more that hollow spacers :) Throaty, beefy... sexy.

So I finally got it all put back together and I took it out for a spin. Weird thing is that at low RPM's it sound really sweet, but I was wondering if I was gonna go deaf at cruising speeds. At 45-50 mph I could barely hear the exhaust over the wind noise. Kinda cool.

So I bring it on back home and bakc it into my spot. A neighbor come over to check out my new cans and I'm showing him the new hotness when I notice the bike just start moving forward and CRASH! evidently I didn't have the stand engaged all the way.

I scratched up the mirror, broke the clutch lever, scratched the cowel, t-signal, side fairing and worst of all the crank case. Man that sucks. I got new signals for it and can eventually replace the scratched parts but the crank case has permanent scars :(

I did get my garmin GPS handle bar mount installed too. I'll take pics of the new cans and the injuries tomorrow when it's not dark and raining.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
That sucks dude. At least our bike is cheap to fix! Check out Mr.Cycles for replacement parts, I think even engine covers and those kind of things can be found there.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Aww so sorry to hear that :(

On the bright side, a minor tip over is supposed to be good luck for riding.

PS: Time to change your siggy ;)

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point. Siggy changed :)

I've never heard that it was good luck. I sure don't feel good about it, but I'll take your word for it and hope that it's true.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Yes, dropping your helmet or having a tip over means good luck....kinda like the old saying, "There are two types of riders: Ones that have fallen, and ones that will". Having a tip over means you have broken the ice, and that you will likely not go down again (like a high speed fall).

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
well, then i guess i have really good luck. i've never officially went down, my knee, or foot saved it both times. heres the stories, in my county there are these damn curbs on every neighborhood road, they rise about 6-8 inches and have about a 50 degree slope. well, i went to go up one and the front tire wanted to go up, the bike wanted to stay where it was, needless to say it started to go over. i kicked my knee in, and pushed the bike back up. second time i was in a parking lot backing up, i hit a bump and it started to go down. my foot was in between the engine block and the ground. having 450 pounds on one foot is not fun, let me tell you.

but with both of those, there are no scratches and no part of the bike hit the ground that isn't supposed to.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I wish I could come up with the $$ for the quads. Those are some tight pipes.

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no frame sliders. I didn't get those yet. They will be the next purchase. I didn't really tip it over though. I had been off the bike for like 5 minutes. we were just standing behind it looking at the exhaust when it finally went. weird.

The cost to fix is surprizingly cheap though. 60 for the left engine case side, 100 for the whole top front fairing (which I don't really need) 19 for the left side rear plastic and 28 fo rthe clutch lever.

I'll get the case side when I do my next oil change.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
:bitchslap DAMN_YANKee sliders should have been your first aftermarket

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
damn yankee, id recommed motivation sliders, cant find the link, but i like them. they are about $60. i havent tested them yet(knock on wood)

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I'm glad you dig the Quads...they're awesome!!! And a few battle scars builds character. No biggie.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
the spring seems to be pointless

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
It will absorb the initial impact when the bike hits the pavement away from the frame reducing the possibility of frame damage even more.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Frankly, if I get in an accident that I'm hitting down that hard... provided that I'm safe, chances of so much stuff on the bike will need repair that you're better off getting granted a write-off, than to have it attempted to be fixed and a chance of it never being quite the same again.

·
Registered
360 Posts
brings up an interesting question?

What about this "new design frame" of ours? How well, better/worse, does it hold up against non ear shattering low sides/spills?

I'm tempted to venture a guess of not as well as a welded frame.

More specifically against frame slider impacts? I remember at least one post showing a damaged frame at slider impact point.

yeah, I know thread hijack, sorry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts