Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My used FZ6 arrives in a crate tomorrow in Colombia:South America. I had it flown in from Florida. It will be sent to me with the front tire off and the handlebars lowered, so it would fit in the crate. I recieve it at the airport which is 1 hr. from the closet bike shop. I have the tools. Is it easy to put the wheel one and tightnen the handlebars for a novice? Any tips?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
You'll need a 19mm allen for the front axle. That much i know.

Adjusting the handlebars is a piece of cake.

I've never takent he front wheel off, but I honestly don't see is as a problem as long as you get the axle bolt on tight enough. Those that have done the R6 fork mod should be able to answer that question a bit better.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Have you downloaded the service manual? It's on here somewhere, and will tell you how to put the wheel back on. It's pretty easy as long as you have some way to hold up the front of the bike.

If they took the brake calipers off the forks, save those until after you put the wheel on. Make sure the wheel spacers are in each side, put the wheel in the fork, slide the axle in until you can start threading it into the other side. Snug it down and torque it to spec (I forget what the torque is). Once it's torqued, tighten the axle clamp bolt down to spec. Then put your brake calipers back on and torque them to spec. That's about it.

Oh yeah, if your brake calipers are off, make sure not to squeeze the lever until you've got them back onto the forks with the wheel mounted. Nothing worse than blowing a piston out of your caliper because you forgot they weren't mounted.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
fraggle1 said:
Have you downloaded the service manual? It's on here somewhere, and will tell you how to put the wheel back on. It's pretty easy as long as you have some way to hold up the front of the bike.
Put it up on the center stand, and either have someone sit on the passenger seat, or set a couple sand bags or something on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts