Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
What are you looking at?
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about picking up a rear stand for the SV, but I'm worried about how to put it on the stand by myself without dropping the bike. Can anyone help me out with some pointers?

Oh yeah, I will be using spools, not pads.

·
Registered
60 Posts
put stand under one spool. lift bike upright off sidestand. align rear stand with spools and push down.

on second thought, it's nearly impossible and you'll explode if you do it alone.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I do it by myself all the time. Granted, my bike doesn't weigh much, but I just hold it up while kneeling down behind the bike, slide in the rear stand, and pop it up. Not hard at all.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
slingblade said:
Get help the first few times, then you'll have a good idea as to how it works. Its pretty easy once you've done it.
+1 Once you've done it a couple of times, it's easy on an sv. If you still have the rear grab bar, use that to hold the bike upright with one hand while you position the stand with the other. Then push down on the stand while still holding the grab bar until the stand is engaged on the spools. Using your weight, you can get the bike up with one hand. Letting it down is essentially the reverse. Do get spools though.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Stand on the side of the left side of the bike, the side with the kickstand... facing the rear of the bike. Make sure the stand is firmly "attached" to the swingarm, as in you've got a good bite on it. Wrap your left hand around the tail and push the stand down. Once you get some weight on the stand you'll find that it's actually quite stable. Make sure you keep the kickstand down and if you feel the need to abort at any point simply pull the bike towards you with your left hand.

It isn't too terribly difficult, but do have somebody there to catch the bike if you goof up the first time or two that you try.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
This is my strategy on the SV (and everyone has their own) w/ Redline Stand:

I stand on the exhaust side (facing the bike) so the bike is either falling into me or onto the kickstand. I put my right foot down on the rear brake and lift the bike upright with my right hand on the other side of the gas tank and my left hand holding the rear grab bar. Then, the bike is resting on my right knee. With the bike resting on my knee, I move my right hand off the tank and onto the rear grab bar, and reach down for the stand and position it with my left hand. When the spools are lined up, I let go of the rear brake, press down on the stand with my left hand and pull back on the grab bar with my right hand.

For me the whole point of the stand was to do it by myself, I've never had help (well the first time I did have someone sit on the bike just to adjust the spool feet). Now lifting the swingarm onto a pair of automotive jack stands like I used to, then you need a friend.

Different stands call for different strategies too. I used my friend's LP stand and it was much longer (Pitbulls have extended handles too), so I could hold the bike up with the right part of the handlebar/front brake and "kick" the stand down from there. I do train Karate so maybe that last one isn't for everyone, you have to figure out what works for you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I do it all the time.

The suggestions above will definately work. Just be careful and take your time. I like the idea of standing on the pipe side so the bike will either land on the side stand or you cansave it form falling on the otherside.

Also use a 'spotter' the first few times you do it yourself until you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I do it all the time too, and I'm lifting the big-fat-cow sized Hayabusa.....

It requires a little balancing act to level it off (single can on right side is in the way)... hit the spools and WHAMMO.... its up in the air....

(better eat your Wheaties)...

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have a peice of wood i put under the kick stand that brings the bike almost perfectly vertical...

i dont use spools, i use the L brackets that grab the swingarm..

its bringing the bike down thats harder to do alone since im always working on a incline....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Try putting the stand at the same angle as the bike so that the spools line up with the little grips on the stand. at this point your stand should have only one wheel on the ground, and both spools in the grips. While making sure that the spools stay in contact with the grips, slowly stand your bike upright. Once the bike is upright, push down on the stand to get your rear wheel off the ground.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Wow, lots of variations on technique. Find one that seems to work for you and try it a few times with someone else there just in case.

I would advise against letting the bike down while standing on the exhaust (non-side stand) side. It would be too easy for the side stand to NOT be locked down as you let the bike down and you wouldn't be able to see it. :cry

·
Registered
304 Posts
It just takes practice. I was nervous about it the first few times, after a while, it's no problem.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I place my rear stand "non-spool" on my F4i by myself without any issues.

I have a small 2x4 block about 5 inches wide, 5 inches long that I place underneath the kickstand. This makes the bike almost completely vertical but still leaning enough to not tip over. I still keep one hand pretty tightly gripped around the passenger strap in case I have to hold it up and ballance it. With the wooden block, this allows me to slide the rubber "L" platforms under both sides of my swingarm and position the rear stand. Just apply some pressure and the bike straightens out the final inch or so and up it goes.

Piece of cake.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
I can get my ZX12R up on my Lockhart spool stand by myself. I start by standing the bike straight up letting it lean against my hip just abit. Then I slide the stand under and get the spools locked in the stands cradles. When thats done I put pressure on the handle to hold the bike upright and move around behind the stand and lift it up. It's kind of a bitch but I've pretty much got it down now..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Piccolo said:
I was thinking about picking up a rear stand for the SV, but I'm worried about how to put it on the stand by myself without dropping the bike. Can anyone help me out with some pointers?

Oh yeah, I will be using spools, not pads.
Like others previously explained, I use kick stand blocks to bring my Hayabusa nearly vertical, then position the race stand under the spools and raise it up. No problems. Just make sure your stand fits the spools center-to-center before you go for it. Have someone there with the front wheel between their knees for the first time, just to be safe.

Stockerjo

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It's pretty easy if you give it a shot. Just hold the tail section with your left arm in a place that you will be able to balance the bike (top center) with the bike on a flat surface preferrably.

First, slide your race stand under the back of your bike while the kickstand is still down. Slightly press down on the back like you are going to lift the bike, but just make contact on one side. While you start to push the bike upright and balance it with your left hand push down harder on the rear of the race stand to stabilize it. Once the bike gets near upright just raise it fully by pressing down on the stand, locking it in. Voila!

:)

I'm pretty confident that if you really wanted to you could put your bike on the stand without even thouching it, by just pressing down hard on the back of your race stand while the bike is on its kickstand. Using your other hand to stabilize is no doubt a smarter route though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a small fry and I do it all the time by myself -- and my bike ain't exactly light (~500lbs. wet).

here's what I do with my PITBULL swingarm stand (not the spool type):

First thing, put bike IN GEAR so it doesn't roll away; then put it on sidestand.:leghump
Roll the rear stand behind rear tire and line up the left side support nubbin on the stand under the left side swingarm.
Position self on left side of bike (facing it), lean left thigh/hip into the bike tail section to straighten it up, keep left hand on grab handle/tail to pull back onto sidestand in case you lean it over too far. Peak around the other side to make sure the right side nubbin is lined up good (you may have to shift/angle the stand a bit), then push down a little on the stand handle to seat it firmly under BOTH SIDES of the swingarm.
Then, keeping downward pressure on stand handle with right hand (to keep the stand seated) and keeping left hand on bike handle for stability, I pivot on my left foot to reposition myself behind the rear tire (so you're looking straight at the tail light). Then, simultaneously push right hand down on stand handle and push up with left hand on grab handle or tail. Easy, though it might take a couple tries to get it smooth and automatic.

Taking bike off stand, I stand behind rear tire, left hand on left handle, pull up on rear stand handle with right hand and ease her to the ground. Gently lean it on the kickstand.

Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts