Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a hole in my tire (this is gonna be my 3rd time in less than 2 years) and am going to get it changed today. I decided to pull it off myself instead of paying the extra, plus I wanted to see how hard it was... Five minutes later I had the wheel off.

I THOUGHT the sprocket was mounted solidly to the wheel, but then it just kinda fell off... Needless to say I said "Oh crap". Anyways, theres a spacer looking thing that was in the center of the sprocket that seemed to be covering the bearings in the wheel.

What is it and which way does this thing go back on? The inside has a lip where the diameter gets smaller. Does that go inwards or out? I have pictures. I'm thinking the part where it is cleaner (and also wider) goes IN, but I want to make sure.

Also, I cleaned it up to get better pictures... Should I grease this thing? And should I just go ahead and throw some grease on the bearings while I'm at it?

Attachments

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but looking at the service manual, it seems there is a similar peice inside the sprocker carrier. Looks like there is a bearing installed on the wheel itself, and one in the sprocket carrier itself...and this thing goes between them. Looks like the lip goes on the inside (toward the wheel).

Check the online service manual PDF or maybe a microfiche on ronayers.com for exploded views

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
The ZZR has a cush drive setup for the final drive, which of course you found out the hard way. No worries really, just put everything back together before remount. Also, if you are taking the wheel to get a tire replaced, I'd make doubly sure they don't drop out any of the bearings and spacers when the wheel is on the changer. It isn't as uncommon an occurence as you think.

Not sure if all Kawi's use the cush drive setup, but my 06 KLR650 has the same deal on it.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
It should go underneath the large washer and the axle nut.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It should go underneath the large washer and the axle nut.
Ok so where it goes is settled. I found the part on the fiches but its not detailed enough to show which way it goes in.

Does the thicker end (end with smaller diameter) go inwards or outwards?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ok so where it goes is settled. I found the part on the fiches but its not detailed enough to show which way it goes in.

I think it is a uniform thickness all the way through.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it is a uniform thickness all the way through.
Its not, if you take a look at the picture you can see on the inside where there is a lip that goes all the way around. Maybe 1/8 of an inch difference. Sorry for the crappy cell pics lol.

I need to know which way this thing goes in before the weekend... The GF wants to do some riding. Plus my dad and uncle just got back into bikes and wanna cruise.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts

outwards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts