Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It was my understanding that it first became prevalent after the invention of high-speed and/or long-range aircraft... So a soldier could be on the front lines of Vietnam and then two days later (or less) could be back in suburbia... Which would really mess with a person. As for treatment, iono.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep in mind that other types exist, such as rape victims, ect.

I've googled but without being able to use good keywords, my results are pretty generic.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Yes and not well.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Yes and not well.
This.

Probably been around as long as there's been warfare. I'd say definitely from the nineteenth century on at least.

Guy I know has a German wife. She's from Berlin. Was born sometime just prior to 1939. Doctor's have diagnosed her with it due to being in the air raid shelters during the bombing raids. Don't know if she was there when the Russians got there.

·
It wasn't me
3,508 Posts
Post traumatic stress. Stress after trauma, brought on by flashbacks and/or memories of experiences and behaviors...do you really think that there hasn't been post-traumatic stress since the first war, the first rape,the first sudden loss of a loved one in awful circumstances? It's as old as humans.

The difference however...is that instead of success in war and killing being celebrated and glorified as one of the pinnacles of human achievement, or even just an example of being a badass...harming another person in any way is now seen as inhuman and evil. With globalization, we recognize the similarities between ourselves and our enemy. The true killers in war, the ones born for it, are the ones that come back and never are able to fully integrate back into society. The others deal with the trauma of seeing their friends die and seeing the enemy die in horror movie ways, never quite forget it.

We're a lot more in touch with our emotions now as well. Mostly a by-product of living our lives in a world where we actually have time to dwell on them and still survive/thrive, and the encouragement to do so.

·
Registered
601 Posts
PTSD can be caused by many events with war being one of them. Surburbia has nothing to do with current combat victims suffering from a mind that remembers everything.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
i think some of it is very much related to being able to be in war one day and in NYC main street the next day. 300 years ago after a war you might have to travel a month to get back to "home" and war becomes a far off thing you have distanced yourself from. Or in old times you and your group may be the last people left standing on the battle field and you have a full sense of closure.

There is no sense of closure and distancing yourself from what you have been through. My understanding is that Nam Vets seem fine after the war but when they get into their 50s start to have terrible anxiety.

I minored in psychology so I dont know all there is to know.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Shell shock was very prevalent during trench warfare. It has only within the last decade that any real advances have been made. I suffer from PTSD, and through the VA I have made great advances in beating PTSD. I only hope that anyone else that suffers can get the help I have received, and make advances such as I have.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PTSD can be caused by many events with war being one of them. Surburbia has nothing to do with current combat victims suffering from a mind that remembers everything.
Understood but is being around people, specifically, a higher concentration of strangers, a factor in moving on?

People who have this. Like depression, are very conscious of it. The problem is recovery, not cause.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Like jetblack and a couple others have said, PTSD has been around as long as our species has been alive, and is not confined to the trauma of war. An isolated incident from infancy can tr***** PTSD. The difference is that psychiatry is still a pretty young field, so methods for identifying and treating the disorder have not been around for very long.

On that note, recent research suggests MDMA could be very effective in treating PTSD (couldn't get the full text unfortunately):

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

The safety and efficacy of ±3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine-assisted psychotherapy in subjects with chronic, treatment-resistant posttraumatic stress disorder: the first randomized controlled pilot study

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v16n3/v16n3_14-15.pdf

·
Registered
825 Posts
PTSD/Shell Shock/Soldier's Heart/ ect, Has been around for ever. In ancient times soldiers were ether career or canon fodder. So less returned to normal life.

War sucks you can not come out with out it changing you some how

·
Registered
249 Posts
Besides MDMA they are working on a marijuana therapy. I would love to get weed from the VA. As it stands it has been quite some time since I have smoked any weed.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Shell shock was very prevalent during trench warfare. It has only within the last decade that any real advances have been made. I suffer from PTSD, and through the VA I have made great advances in beating PTSD. I only hope that anyone else that suffers can get the help I have received, and make advances such as I have.
If it isn't too personal, could you share what your experience has been like?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts