Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased a new set of tires and will probbaly be putting them on next week. just wondering if there is proper break in procedures i should follow. i know new tires are really slippery so if there are any suggestions you could give me (besides take it slow) please let me know.

thanks
 

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
Joined
·
20,852 Posts
For the first 100 miles don't nail the throttle a lot and watch how hard you lean until you scuff them up a little bit. After that you should be ok depending on what type of riding you do.
 

·
Eurofag
Joined
·
1,792 Posts
If it's raining, stay indoors.

If it isn't raining, just use as normal, maybe a bit gentler until they're scrubbed in properly, which will only take about 5 - 10 miles. :)
 

·
I own license2ill
Joined
·
5,679 Posts
You can scuff your tires in in a few hours on the street. I think the general rule to thumb is 7 good turns on each side. I usually go to a parking lot and do circles to each side for about 5 min a side. After that they are scuffed in.
 

·
King of Oilernation
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
If you have a safe area, do like the race car drivers do and perform some slow weaves. But in reality it is simply a time issue. Ride a lot and ride safe and slow for a hundred miles or so. Avoid a full llean and you should be ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
How do you fully scuff the sides, the part which you hit in a full lean, without going into a full lean, before they are scuffed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Desp said:
How do you fully scuff the sides, the part which you hit in a full lean, without going into a full lean, before they are scuffed?
you just lean it ove a little more each turn.
this way you are never one a WHOLE patch of virgin tire at once. just a little strip is worn off at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,204 Posts
Be very careful....No release compound...i dont believe that one. Whats the slick as ice stuff on a tire then? Just take it easy first 100 miles is a good rule of thumb. Maybe a bit excessive but still a good rule of thumb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
My tires are scuffed in and ready for maximum grip performance within 3-5 miles, tops. Any arguments to the contrary are nonsense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
966 Posts
greekpimpslap said:
just purchased a new set of tires and will probbaly be putting them on next week. just wondering if there is proper break in procedures i should follow. i know new tires are really slippery so if there are any suggestions you could give me (besides take it slow) please let me know.

thanks
Scrub alot of oil into the tire, and then go find the fastest corner you can find. If you take the corner as fast as you can, the molecular structure of the tire and oil you scubbed into it will bond together and make it super sticky!! If that doesnt work ive heard of some people useing armorall. You know the sorry thing is that some person would read this and try it. :eek:nfloor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,622 Posts
jiffy said:
Be very careful....No release compound...i dont believe that one. Whats the slick as ice stuff on a tire then? Just take it easy first 100 miles is a good rule of thumb. Maybe a bit excessive but still a good rule of thumb.
If you don't believe it, I have a question for you. How are off the shelf DOT Race tires ready after 1 or 2 laps?
 

·
F-You and Yourspace!
Joined
·
799 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
If you don't believe it, I have a question for you. How are off the shelf DOT Race tires ready after 1 or 2 laps?
You're comparing apples to oranges.
 

·
voted for an American
Joined
·
4,580 Posts
jiffy said:
Be very careful....No release compound...i dont believe that one. Whats the slick as ice stuff on a tire then? Just take it easy first 100 miles is a good rule of thumb. Maybe a bit excessive but still a good rule of thumb.
The slick stuff is just a mold release tire manufacturers use to get the tires out of the molds. Don't need to be overly careful, just bring them up to temp by accelerating and braking and then start to scuff them in by leaning further and further. Your tires can be scuff in in less than 10 miles.
 

·
Smiley Gladhands
Joined
·
3,050 Posts
Desp said:
How do you fully scuff the sides, the part which you hit in a full lean, without going into a full lean, before they are scuffed?
60 grit sandpaper...just kidding! Just take it a little easy at first and gradually lean further and further. It took me a trip to Deal's Gap before I got rid of my chicken strips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,622 Posts
TTsixxer said:
The slick stuff is just a mold release tire manufacturers use to get the tires out of the molds. Don't need to be overly careful, just bring them up to temp by accelerating and braking and then start to scuff them in by leaning further and further. Your tires can be scuff in in less than 10 miles.
+1 :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Guys this is really easy here. I just do a llight burn out and while walking my bike and leaning it over on both sides. Not a hard and long burn out but my tired is scuffed and ready to go in seconds.
 

·
voted for an American
Joined
·
4,580 Posts
aapt607 said:
Guys this is really easy here. I just do a llight burn out and while walking my bike and leaning it over on both sides. Not a hard and long burn out but my tired is scuffed and ready to go in seconds.
That could hold true if you just installed a new rear tire. If you get both new tres, how do you burn out the front? :lao That would be very dangerous because you might think by burning out the rear you have taken care of the scuffing but what about the front? That's asking for a lowside on the very first corner hehehe.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top