Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just received a pair of Motopak GT-60 luggage (very nice and affordable BTW). I have seen all the pics of installation over the seat and lateral hand rails. Has anybody considered installing them under the seat and hand rails (so the passenger may be more confy and still grab on for her dear life!)

Do you think there will be a problem getting too close to the exhaust or buffing the plastic too much?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If your worried about the plastic put some plastic wrap in it before you put ur tail bags on ..... or get some of those tank slappers, that might help protect the plastic as well. When I went to FL I used the plastic wrap on the grab rails and side panels myself, just bring extra if it's a long trip.
Installing under the seat may work but I'm not sure. I have the 90s and I think the straps just didn't line up with the grab rails & seat lock to work just right, It's worth a shot though. If your worried about getting to close to the exhaust just take a bunge cord (or something) and hook it to the bottom of the bags, there should be a plastic loop somewhere on them, then run it to the grab rails. That should help pull the bottom of the bags away from the bike & exhaust. I had on the GT-Tail as well and when you hook the saddle bag straps up to the tail bag it pulled the bottom of the saddles up and away from the bike. There should also be loops near the back front of the saddles, you could string a really small bungee accross from on saddle to the other which would help pull them away as well. That cord would string more across the very back of the riders seat but not in a place where you'd really feel it much.

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
I was wondering the same thing.

I was a new set of GT-90. Though I'm sure it can be done (strapping under the seat), I just haven't gotten around to actualy doing it, much less testing it for heat.

Perhaps I'll just take an old piece of similar fabric (with velcro on it i.e. plastic) and leave it in while I'm riding.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Any of you guys have FAZR6's FE kit on yours?

I'd be interested in seeing pics of the bags installed with the FE kit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shadow_Can said:

Thanks for the information, I might take short rides with different set ups in order not to get stranded a few hundred miles away from home with burned side bags.

As for the FAZR6 FE Kit, I don't know what it is but I guess the answer is I don't have one because my FZ6 is stock to the bone.

·
Registered
245 Posts
wOULD you guys please post some pictures of that luggage we are talking about. I just bought my nelson rigs, magnetic tank back, pretty cool. It held u a lot of stuff-all cloth needed for a day up in the mountains for me and my wife.(we are tiny-140lb-120lb) and I am looking for more saddle bags lugagge options, I really like some hard lugage but do not have the money to afford the givis(I think that's the name-no sure) but this last one look pretty good, is there something more afordable in hard lugage?.
Thanks

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
fz6yamaha said:
wOULD you guys please post some pictures of that luggage we are talking about...., I really like some hard lugage but do not have the money to afford the givis(I think that's the name-no sure) but this last one look pretty good, is there something more afordable in hard lugage?.
Thanks
Though I have bought the Motopak (used but brand new!) I also have ordered a 46L Top case from Kappa (kappamoto.com)

Kappa is kind of a sister company to Givi. It was founded by the daughter of the owner of Givi. They are interchangeable and fit to one another (the luggage!! Not the father and the daughter... :eek:nfloor ).
Even the numbers are almost the same. For example, the Givi monorack code for the FZ6 is FZ351. The same product from Kappa is KZ351.

While the cases look slightly different, the price differential is material. C$360 (plus taxes) for the Givi and C$230 (taxes included) for the Kappa.

Go here for GIVI products (frames...):

http://www.givi.it/home/frame.asp
Products - Cases and Boxes - Monokey - V46

and here for the KAPPA:

http://www.kappamoto.com/eng/cat_01.asp?model=K46

I will post as soon as I get it (should be this week)

Finally, the Motopak can be seen here:

http://www.motopakluggage.com/luggage.html

-David

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Shadow_Can said:
These pics are from when I first got the bags and all packed for my FL trip.
The only problem with these bags and the FE kit is that you block the turn signals from a back&side view, but for the person following you they can see them just fine.
I solved the side view singal issue with these 2way signals (forward&back) from Hyperlites , I put them on my mirrors and you can see them from the sides, back & front.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Really helpful David. I appreciatte it.
I was looking b4 for some Nelson rigs MSB-100 Mini Saddle bag, they are soft toand good looking in the catalog, but last week I went to one dealer and check out the standar Saddlebags from NRiggs, and boy that thing looked ugly. I mean the bags would not hold up the shape when empty , so it would look like a garbage bag, so I did not like it, instead the Mini saddle bag looks pretty cool, I let you guys now what I'll decide.
Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
I installed large tourmaster under the seat and rails- they have the zippers that allow you to take them off when you want to. had to mod some stuff though, I moved the signals to the fender and built a support bar for the bottom of the bags. The part that goes between the bags do get warm where they cross the exhaust, but I have been keeping an eye on them and no ill effects so far.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts