Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on the sunny, tropical island of Okinawa, Japan. During the summer the temperatures stay in the upper 80s to lower 90s and with the humidity at 70 - 80% it is damn hot. I see many bike riders do not wear the appropriate safety gear due to the heat. The other day I was in my van with my wife at a stop light and there were about 5 cars in front of me. There were cars parked on the side of the road. A Japanese guy on a CB400 passed between the cars parked on the side of the road and the cars waiting for the light. You guessed it. A lady parked on the side of the road about 2 cars ahead of me opened her door just as the CB400 was passing by. The CB400 swerved to the right and missed a major head-on collision with the door. However, his left foot caught the bottom corner of the car door. I saw him stop, let his bike drop to the ground, and he crawled over to the sidewalk. My wife and I jumped out of my van and went to help him. When we got to him he was laying on his stomache writhing in pain. We took a look at his foot and the skin on the entire top part of his foot was tore back. We could see the bones, tendons, and ligaments inside his foot. Apparently he cut a large vein and his foot was pouring blood out (not a drip or an ooze, pouring out). My wife used to be a nurse and immediately treated his wound while I applied a tourniquet to his leg. After a few minutes the bleeding slowed down considerably. The ambulance arrived about 10 minutes later just as the guy was going into shock. The ambulance took him away and I don't know what happened to him. He was wearing shorts, a tanktop shirt, sandals, and a helmet. Ever since that day I have worn steel-toed boots while riding. Please, please, please wear the appropriate safety gear everytime you get on your bike. Can you imagine bleeding to death out of your foot, what a way to go (I don't know if the rider in question died, but it is possible). Don't let the hot weather stop you from using your safety gear. It is better to be a little uncomfortable than to chance getting seriously hurt or killed because you weren't wearing your safety gear.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Good post

We have another member that lives over near you and wecome to SBN and enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was standing there crying and watching us treat this guy. She was very upset about the whole situation. Obviously she didn't see him coming.

·
Registered
323 Posts
wow thats nuts i always wear my boots because of that same reason i have a friend who lost a toe because of that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i was wearing tennisshoes when i looped my CBR954 and the bike mustve landed on my foot/leg......i ended up with a broken leg, but the worst part is i had a large chunk of skin ground out on my ankle..........im still in the healing process now, im basically just waiting for the skin to heal up, i have fracture blisters on my foot as well as the open wound, but hopefully within about 2 wks ill be walking/riding again.........

·
Registered
910 Posts
We usually can successfully skin graft these "dorsal degloving wounds" as they are called. They do look very impressive, and are not particularly uncommon.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Makes you think ..... Not to hijack your thread but what do you guys think aboout like alpine shoes not the boots but the shoes you think it's just bs and stay with riding boots?

·
Registered
73 Posts
BLKBRD,

Howdy - I'm here in Oki also. Yeah - it kills me the huge amount of local riders (99.9%) in the standard uniform of t shirt, shorts, flip flops and those tiny little plastic helmets - ususally not even fastened. It's nuts!

Have fun! Stay safe!

Dan

·
Registered
528 Posts
BLKBRD said:
Ever since that day I have worn steel-toed boots while riding. Please, please, please wear the appropriate safety gear everytime you get on your bike.
STOP wearing steel-toes!! You know what will happen if you wreck and that steel toe gets bent back so far? It will take your toes off and man that is going to be a nasty site. Please go buy you the "appropriate" saftey gear like you said and get you something like some Sidi or AlpineStar riding boots or you might not be any better off then that guy with the riped open foot.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
LittleTex said:
STOP wearing steel-toes!! You know what will happen if you wreck and that steel toe gets bent back so far? It will take your toes off and man that is going to be a nasty site. Please go buy you the "appropriate" saftey gear like you said and get you something like some Sidi or AlpineStar riding boots or you might not be any better off then that guy with the riped open foot.
It depends on the situation - I had my foot cought between the engine case and road in a lowside, and the steel toe took the grind, not my toes!

I wear Sidi's now, but the point is, the best protection you can afford is the wat to go!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can someone please tell me how in the world people shift with
flip-flops/sandals on????? Since I rode to work the first time with my steel toes on, I've rarely rode with anything else simply because the shifting is so much easier. On the subject of steel toes, LittleTex, I'm not sure how familiar you are with steel toed footwear. The toe section of the shoe/boot can still bend down like a normal shoe. If you hit something bad enough that the steel toe would slice your toes off, what the heck do you think is going to happen with a normal shoe????

·
Registered
528 Posts
Edawg636 said:
If you hit something bad enough that the steel toe would slice your toes off, what the heck do you think is going to happen with a normal shoe????
It'll bend, most likely break your toes or some bones. So I'll just take my chances and say you would be a lot safer wearing some boots made for riding a motorcycle. Just try to save some money up and buy some, just the thought of the steel toe starting to cut into my toes is nasty, but do what you wish.

·
Registered
155 Posts
4real said:
Makes you think ..... Not to hijack your thread but what do you guys think aboout like alpine shoes not the boots but the shoes you think it's just bs and stay with riding boots?
Boots, definitely. I have a pair of the A*'s stunt shoes, just cause I needed a new pair of shoes and I can get them at cost where I work. They will not protect your feet like a good pair of riding boots will, however they're better than sandals.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice. I thought that steel toes would be the best thing for riding (I'm a new rider < 6 months). I was just looking on the internet at some nice Alpinestar boots. They are expensive, but safety first so I think I'll get a pair.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Take a look at the Oxtar TCS Sport. I just picked up a pair and they are very nice boots. THe thing that made me buy them is they have an integrated system that keeps your foot from overextending in a crash. It will basically keep your foot from being broken in a crash, which is really nice. They're also just really well made boots and are extremely comfortable. Just some food for thought.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts