Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am new around here, in fact I'm new to everything I'm about to dive into. Aside from riding dirt bikes as a kid and screwing around on my little brother's mini bike as a young adult I am as green as they come.

That being said, today I become the owner of a 2007 Hyosung GT250R. I was between this bike and a friends Suzuki GS500e, but he was asking WAY too much, especially considering this is going to be a project.

That brings me to my next point. Unlike many other sport bikes out there, there really doesn't seem to be a big market for customizing these bikes. Not sure if that's because it's a young company or because it's considered a learning bike but in any event I will be transforming this bike over the next months/years and I would like to share it with you all.

I have done some custom work on cars and trucks in the past but am somewhat of a noob in that regard as well. So if it's ok with you all I will likely be asking a lot of stupid questions and also gathering a lot of opinions. My goal is to take a stock sport bike and strip it naked and give it somewhat of a cafe/fighter look but maybe doing some things that haven't been done yet.

The pictures below are of my bike as is, and ideally the direction I'd like to take it. I will post pictures as regularly as I can, talk to you guys soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I'm back with my first set of questions. Unfortunately I have had the flu since buying th bike and haven't had a chance to take it apart yet, so no pictures thus far.

How difficult do you think it will be to mount the gauges on the bike once I remove the front plastics?

Has anyone shortened their forks? I plan on putting taller tire on the front and shortening the fork to compensate for the added height. The goal is to eliminate the "chopper" look of the front end that you get without the fairings on.

Headlights & signals.. I'm going to be replacing them w cafe style ones, any good sites to look at? I'd like not to limit myself to local shops, and after some casual browsing online I can't seem to find anything worth while.

Thanks!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
You really need to work on your google skills...

But I'll help you a bit.

There is a naked version of the GT250R.

Raise the forks in the triple trees. If that isn't enough, forks can be shortened, but it's FAR from easy, you'll have an easier time with a fork swap.

The "chopper" look will never go away, that's because you're working with a bike that has a very small engine.

Think about it again, you're throwing good money after bad. You'd be MUCH closer, and almost done, to the looks you want just removing the fairings of an air cooled GSX-R 750.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You really need to work on your google skills...

But I'll help you a bit.

There is a naked version of the GT250R.

Raise the forks in the triple trees. If that isn't enough, forks can be shortened, but it's FAR from easy, you'll have an easier time with a fork swap.

The "chopper" look will never go away, that's because you're working with a bike that has a very small engine.

Think about it again, you're throwing good money after bad. You'd be MUCH closer, and almost done, to the looks you want just removing the fairings of an air cooled GSX-R 750.
thank you for taking the time to reply, i actually do appreciate some one taking the time to reply, even if half of what was said is basically calling what i'm doing a waste of time ;)

yes, i know there is a naked version. i couldnt find one available in my area so it was between this, an over priced gs500 and a handful of crappy, dropped, "b*****" bikes. believe me if i found a decent gsxr within my price range, i would have looked into it. an issue im facing - as i mentioned - is that im new to riding. idk many who would have recommended learning on a 750 gsxr.. i digress.

i didnt know it would be such a task to shorten the forks so i will reconsider maybe, it's not the biggest concern of mine just something i wanted to look into.

and as far as your google skills comment - thanks, i just figured that asking people in a forum dedicated to the brand of bike i bought might be a better use of my time than googling aimlessly for hours (even though i do that anyways) but thanks for the advice.
:bolt

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
You tried to read between the lines and failed miserably at it.

Air cooled GSX-R 750, it's a 20 year old bike by now, you can easily get one in your price range, specially if you look for one without the fairings. It has the big aircooled engine look you'll never get on the 250, already has USD forks, etc. It's just missing the big front tire and dropping the forks in the triple trees.

The comment about the naked GT250... The upper triple tree already has mounting points for the speedo/tacho, although different from those on the GT250R, you're just a custom bracket away from getting them to fit, you can also use all the brackets from the naked GT250 to mount a headlight, which might even be the GT250 headlight. If you had understood that, you would already know how cheap OEM Hyosung parts are.

And yes, I do thing you're wasting your time, you will never be able to get the kind of looks you want from the GT250. It's a full sized bike, frame based off the Suzuki GS500, with a very small engine. The GS500, being an inline twin, more or less fills the frame, the V-Twin leaves a single cylinder to fill the void left in the front.

You'll end up with a custom bike that will never be able to look like you wanted it to look and it will be pretty much un-sellable. For a custom bike project you must start with a solid foundation, take your time to build it and be patient. Don't rush into a project trying to build what you want from something you don't like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You tried to read between the lines and failed miserably at it.

Air cooled GSX-R 750, it's a 20 year old bike by now, you can easily get one in your price range, specially if you look for one without the fairings. It has the big aircooled engine look you'll never get on the 250, already has USD forks, etc. It's just missing the big front tire and dropping the forks in the triple trees.

The comment about the naked GT250... The upper triple tree already has mounting points for the speedo/tacho, although different from those on the GT250R, you're just a custom bracket away from getting them to fit, you can also use all the brackets from the naked GT250 to mount a headlight, which might even be the GT250 headlight. If you had understood that, you would already know how cheap OEM Hyosung parts are.

And yes, I do thing you're wasting your time, you will never be able to get the kind of looks you want from the GT250. It's a full sized bike, frame based off the Suzuki GS500, with a very small engine. The GS500, being an inline twin, more or less fills the frame, the V-Twin leaves a single cylinder to fill the void left in the front.

You'll end up with a custom bike that will never be able to look like you wanted it to look and it will be pretty much un-sellable. For a custom bike project you must start with a solid foundation, take your time to build it and be patient. Don't rush into a project trying to build what you want from something you don't like.
I have changed my mind about the equally rude tone I was going to take with you. Ill just leave it at thanks for the input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the proper analysis is that the Internet is a great place for douche bags w big egos to be condescending and rude to strangers without any threat of having teeth knocked out ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll admit the "read between the lines" comment was probably unnecessary but, there was nothing rude about the advice given. You got a lot of good information in the previous posts. Sounds like they were trying to help you not make what they felt was a waste of money and time when there are easier if not better options available. You may feel what you are doing is worthwhile but, when you ask for help and opinions you will get both those for and opposed to yours. Look back at what was given and think about it. If you wish to proceed with your project, good luck and I hope it turns out the way you want.
As for your comment about Hyosung being a new company, they've been in business since around 1971 IIRC and they'be been building engines for Suzuki for at least a couple of decades. They ARE new to the American market as a standalone bike but, they have been around the block a time or two.
Again, good luck with your project and keep the pics of the progress coming!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm back to share some progress

I spent the last few months working on transforming the bike into a "cafe" build. I'll admit, the project took me in some weird directions and today, being able to say I'm finished, the bike is a bit of a hybrid. I had a lot of fun working on the bike and it being my first bike/build I'd be interested in hearing what some more experienced folks think about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you're happy with it, that's all that matters! It looks like a Suzuki but, considering Hyosung has been building engines for them for years, it's not much of a surprise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're happy with it, that's all that matters! It looks like a Suzuki but, considering Hyosung has been building engines for them for years, it's not much of a surprise.
just for fun, these are the bikes i modeled my build after

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
needles to say, the frame and suspension of the bike severely limited how close I could get it to the look I was going for. I did actually lower the front end an inch and a quarter, which helped close some of that gap between the front tire and the frame.

Depending on how long I stick with this bilke (I plan on doing the same sort of build on a b***** bike next summer) I might put taller/wider tire on the front.

I have TONS of pictures of the bike throughout the process if anyone is interested in seeing how I did anything specific.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would say this project of yours came out surprisingly well.

Upon initial reading of your first couple posts, I had my doubts. The posts appeared, at worst, to be trolling. At best, a dream/fantasy. But, to see the end result, very cool!

And, to accomplish it all in two months? Great job!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts