Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone has used the prgressive insureance that you buy online. I did a quote on the car that I have (02 ford focus zx3) and I also did a quote for a Ninja 500. The rate for my car with the same coverage that I am getting from state farm right now will save me enough money to afford the insureance on a bike and still come out ahead. I just can't believe how low their rates are, makes me think that it is too good to be true. I am currently paying around $300 a month for full coverage on my car, and their quote was around $100 a month for full coverage. I hear everyone talking about how high insureance rates are for motorcycles, but the quote that I was given seemed very reasonable for a 21 year old on a sport bike (ninja 500). So, anyone have any first hand experience with them? Oh, if it matters I live in Texas.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
1,308 Posts
i am looking for insurance quotes as well if anyone could give me some sites that would be cool. thanx

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
My progressive quote was much higher than state farm on just about every bike I was interested in. Just be careful, often it's cheaper because progressive doesn't have the same coverage. Anyone can get very cheap motorcycle insurance if you don't get a few of the critical ones like uninsured driver etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I don't exactly know what all I need on my insurance, would someone mind telling me what kind of coverage that they have, and maybe explain why these things are important? Insurance could be one of the most expensive parts of this bike thing, so I want to get it correct.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I pay $101/year on Progressive (Liability).

·
Registered
346 Posts
It sounds weird but ask other insurance companies where they get the insurance. My company, Nationwide, gets motorcycle insurance through progressive. So i just went to progressive online and got an even cheaper quote than I got through Nationwide.

·
Registered
170 Posts
try www.BIKE-LINE.com

sent a couple of friends that way and they all got better rates. Except the guy with the R1. They wouldn't insure that bike for some reason. They give you a quote pretty fast and then fax the policy to you to start right then. they also have road side asst. for around 16 dollars a year

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had terrible luck with Progressive. I just bought a 1994 YaMAMA FZR1000 and with Progressive I was quoted about $850/ year for full coverage. With State Farm I got the EXACT same coverage for $322.40/ year. HUGE swing so please be sure to check them out.

Silver Cat... Your insurance sounds pretty high.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I bought my insurance online through progressive.com. I got a great rate, $400/liability a year. I don't have anything bad to say about them and would probably recommend them if you like the quote they gave you.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts

·
old member
13,079 Posts
coyotelance said:
Well, I don't exactly know what all I need on my insurance, would someone mind telling me what kind of coverage that they have, and maybe explain why these things are important? Insurance could be one of the most expensive parts of this bike thing, so I want to get it correct.
Insurance coverage depends somewhat on whether or not your state is no-fault. In CA (NOT no-fault), you need at least minimum liability to register a vehicle. But, if that's true why do they sell uninsured motorist insurance?

liability: pays for damage you cause to property of others (required), available in different amounts
medical payments: pays medical bills for you and passenger (may not be available for bikes)
comprehensive: pays for other damage/loss to your vehicle like theft or vandalism
collision: pays for repairs to your vehicle if you are at fault
uninsured motor vehicle: covers you if the other, at-fault party doesn't have insurance

comprehensive and collision are usually the most expensive
HTH

·
Registered
38 Posts
Progressive says they specialize on "bikes" but I think they mean "cruisers", hence all the pics of Harleys in their commercials. 2003 GSX-R 750 = I was quoted close to $7000/year!!! F**c them, I am paying less than $600 per year at State Farm - thats after one theft claim. Not cheap, but they are the cheapest with my driving record. No cars insured with them either.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
One (speeding or accident) ticket and being under 25 will really hurt you when it comes to insurance. That's why track riding is now the place I go fast and the street is used for relaxed scenery rides to the twisties. No more horse playing on the streets for me, I cannot afford too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am really happy with Progressive. I only had one gripe. If you try to get a quote online, it may be different when you actually get the policy. I ride a 96 F3, and they didn't have that exact bike listed under their options so the quote I got was a little off. All in all though I still eneded up with a better rate than was quoted by other companies.

·
Registered
905 Posts
i havent bought my first bike yet, but ive been looking around, and so far, progressive is the most "biker friendly" insurance company ive found. for what i want to get, my rate is less than 200 a year. pretty kick ass.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Progressive wanted an Ungodly amount of money to insure my Sprint ST. Geico wanted even more. I ended up using State Farm and have no complaints.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Pisses me off, I pay $100/year for insurance on my bike which is a track only bike. Stupid military says if I want to get the bike shipped back to the states with me it has to be registered/insured while I own it, what a bunch of crap. This doesn't help your situation, but I went with the cheapest Italian company I could find that spoke English, 70 euro ($100) a year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts