Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge in October of 2012. Here is what she looked like:

The person I bought it from was the second owner. Here is this list of what was added to it when I got it:

Aftermarket black plastics (supposedly German)
Aftermarket graphics kit (also supposedly German)
Touratech neoprene fork covers
Touratech large skid plate
Fastway over sized pegs
Touratech adjustable gear shift lever
Touratech brake lever with pivoting head
ProTaper ATV High bend aluminum handlebar
Cycra aluminum hand guards
Touratech large luggage rack
Touratech 15mm handlebar risers
Leo Vince X3 carbon fiber & titanium exhaust can
Leo Vince connector pipe
Leo Vince carbon fiber exhaust guards
Acerbis KTM auxiliary fuel tank
BMW style accessory plug

Here is what I have done to her and added since I got it:

Touratech steel headlight protector
Touratech sport gas cap [not in pictures] ($156 for a gas cap? I'm sure it'll be the best gas cap I ever own.... )
Touratech carbon fiber brake cylinder cover
Touratech aluminum radiator guard
Touratech low profile oil drain plug
Touratech rear brake disc guard
Touratech front brake line clamp cover
Touratech off road chain guide
Shad SH29 top box
SW-Motech crash bars
SW-Motech centerstand
Oxford heated grips
BMW rectifier/rear brake fluid guard
Twisted Throttle license plate stash box for registration & insurance cards
Reinstalled factory tail piece
Original seat (had a tear) recovered in black with original "character lines" done in blue stitching
Coolant flushed and filled
Front & rear brake fluid flushed and filled
New brake pads front & rear
New Continental TKC80 rear tire (goes on Saturday)
Original levers cut down and polished to make "shorties"
New NGK Iridium plugs
Battery Tender hook up installed

Already on my wish list:

Touratech carbon fiber case covers (both sides)
Touratech kick stand support extension (oversized foot for kick stand)
Touratech carbon fiber exhaust heat shield (to replace the only metal one left from header to exhaust can)
New fork springs & fluid and probably seals
New rear shock someday

Here are a few crappy cell phone pics so you can see how she sits as of today:

Reactions: PhilB

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was more attractive before :p
Less protected and no carrying capacity before. It looks like I could toss it down a hill now. Opinions vary. Thanks for sharing yours.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Yeah, maybe so, but he's functionally using it to replace the KLR he was riding when he had his accident, so clearly aesthetics isn't his first priority in a dirt-capable bike in the first place. :D

Nice bike, dude.

PhilB

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
How dare you use a non-BMW top case!?

I've actually gave up on hard luggage for off roading. If I'm going off road, the hard luggage comes off.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
well done sir!

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How dare you use a non-BMW top case!?

I've actually gave up on hard luggage for off roading. If I'm going off road, the hard luggage comes off.
It comes right off and it's more durable then panniers. Depends on how off road I take it. :D

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Sweet! That's a helluva replacement!

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
jesus Dan, you must get paid pretty good for an LEO.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only things that changed aestheticly are the color of the seat and the trunk which comes off. The crash bars and headlight cage have an actual purpose. Making it pretty for trolls is fairly far down my list.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
especially low on the list to do things for are spambot, "i'm just reposting what some one else said" accidental trolls. especially since they can't hear or appreciate your stunning rebuke.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do you like the Beemer compared to your KLR?
It's over 100 pounds lighter with 12-15 more horsepower. Better suspension and fuel injected as well. Only negative is if you thought it was impossible to find a bike with a higher seat then a KLR650 you'd be wrong. :D I have a 34-35" inseam and I'm on my toes.

Reactions: Kazairl

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
poor little thumper trying to wear GS' britches.
The F800GS would be better on the street, but would get smoked in the heavy stuff. The G650GS Sertao & F650GS Dakar weigh more then the KLR650. Only KTM makes more hardcore dualsports. These didn't fit BMW's normal clientele and didn't last long at all. All the G650X models were built by aprilia with Rotax motors.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It's over 100 pounds lighter with 12-15 more horsepower. Better suspension and fuel injected as well. Only negative is if you thought it was impossible to find a bike with a higher seat then a KLR650 you'd be wrong. :D I have a 34-35" inseam and I'm on my toes.
I have to say, the KLr is a bit to piggish for me and outdated, but that BMw is much more modern, looks fine to me either way.

The last time I looked, as I normally sit way back on the edge of the seat, the bmw had the gas cap back there,(as I recall), thats what kind of turned me off on the ergo side, before I even looked at the price. But Im really thinking of dual sporting a crfx or wr 450. Although I have zero experience with BMw's, they've just not gained my attention. Anything you' really like or dislike on the BMW?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
The F800GS would be better on the street, but would get smoked in the heavy stuff. The G650GS Sertao & F650GS Dakar weigh more then the KLR650. Only KTM makes more hardcore dualsports. These didn't fit BMW's normal clientele and didn't last long at all. All the G650X models were built by aprilia with Rotax motors.
I really don't understand BMW nowadays, the G650X series did not fit BMW image and flopped, that's what they got Husqvarna for. The Terra 650 is basically a G650X with 10 more hp, that's KTM 690 territory, and easily serviceable! It was built to a price point and suffers from cheap suspension compared to the KTM...

Then, few months after releasing the TE 650, BMW goes and sells Husqvarna to KTM?

I guess BMW gave up on that market segment, but... What does KTM want Husqvarna for?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts