Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, as usual I am having vehicle issues. Whether its my car or my bike... Anyways, for some reason at times my bike won't go from Neutral to first, other times I can't get the bike into Neutral and then other times my bike slides from second gear into neutral in the middle of riding. So far to be able to keep riding my solutions have been to: move the bike forward while holding in clutch to take in or out of neutral, and to just make sure I shift really quickly to get into 3rd.... Any ideas?

·
Registered
968 Posts
When was the last time the oil was changed?

·
Registered
981 Posts
mine be a problem with that "positive neutral finder" switch that kawi has. mine is messed up and says im in neutral all the time, and if i kcik the shifter wrong in any gear, itll put me into neutral (even if i was in 6th)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
My RR does the same thing, from N-1 trouble into first if I use to much rear brake before I shut it off, puts a weird tension on the chain wont allow it to go into first unless I roll foward. 1-N, I never try this cause it pisses me off, it's easier to go from 2-N. Now popping out of second, this should be the easy fix, I found when shift that I'm not using the full travel of the shift lever, pull it all the way up with your foot. Or shift from 1-2 without using the clutch. I call it power shifting others call it something else. I can travel 1-6 then 6-1 without using the clutch or ever hearing any grinding noise. It's smooth as silk "especially if you can do it in a car, it's easier on a bike"

So quick run down. When stopping leave it in 1st until you complete the stop and use mostly front brakes towards the end of the stop "this fixed my problem"

Shift from 2-N, it's easier and you wont swear at your bike as much :twofinger

Use full travel of the shift lever from 1-2, remeber it's almost a double click cause really your going three stages 1-N-2.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
Most likely damaged/worn shift forks and drum/cam

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Mine sticks going from neutral into first sometime...but all I have to do is kick it harder to get it back in. If you kick it too soft, when you start letting the clutch out it will slip out..so if it does, just kick down harder and it'll usually stick in.

And sometimes the shifters require a lot firmer kick to upshift....depends on the bike. My 500 doesn't take TOO much of a kick, but it used to until the transmission wore itself in. Used to have to kick the hell out of it and if I didn't, I would find false neutrals in really strange places, like 2-3 and 5-6...

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
Not to crack, but I think Kawasaki is famous for tranny issues!

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
um no but yamaha is..........especially the yzf motors. Kaws usually have very smooth shifting trannies. on My old zx-6r I think i only had like two mis shifts in three years. Hell i've more than that on my gsxr in the two months I have owned it. The only kaw i've heard with trannie probs was the zx-10 in testing and that was taken care of before it was released.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hopefully it is a simple adjustment like the clutch or shifter location with respect to your foot. Otherwise it may require going into the tranny for worn forks or the "dogs" on the gears.

If it is alright with you, could I take a spin on it to experience it myself next time we meet?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
If the dogs on the gears were worn out, you'd know it. That transmission would be skipping out of gear everytime there was a load on the motor. The dogs don't usually wear for street applications, they are usually fine, or broken. There is rarely anything in between.

First and foremost Ali, check your shift level position. You need to make sure you are pulling up the entire range of motion on that lever. There is a shift detent cam inside your engine case which is mounted on the end of your shift drum which basically hold the gear into place, you might actually be engaging the gear, but the shift detent might not be engaging fully because the shift drum hasn't completed it's full degree of rotation for the shift.

Simply put, make sure you are lifting all the way up on your shift lever when you are shifting. Be firm with your shifts. If this does not help your problem, PM me, im sure we can figure it out.

Lastly, make sure your clutch is in proper adjustment.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
The bike doesn't like WI......... move to fl! :D

I had that problem on my SV when I got it. All I did was change the oil and used Motul 3000. Fixed it up and havn't had a problem 3,000 miles later.

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
Well I said not to crack for a reason; the old board(b4 crash) had quite a few Kaw trans issues in "help me fix" very similar to hers...and it isn't the YZF, it's the FZR, and then only if abused; after 123,000 miles still no problem with mine. Same gears rebuilt engine...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, well I read all this and I just got home from being out. I have been shifting all the way up, that's not the problem. I am gonna get the oil changed tomorrow, hopefully my friend who sold me the bike will help me out with that like he said. The clutch is adjusted to perfection right now, I'm not touching that at all.
As for the Florida idea... it's something to think about, hehe. But we'll have to see what happens and whether or not the new guy in my life is coming with me down for biketoberfest naughty. ;-)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay it is my oil, but another question, Anyone know how to change oil on here that won't say it in incredibly confusing terms. ALSO what kinda oil do i use for my bike???

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
simple.....find the drain plug on the bottom of the engine...... take it out and drain the oil. Remove the oil filter. drain oil from there. Put the drain plug back in. Put the new oil filter on. Fill back up with proper amount of oil. I use Motul 3000 10w-40 oil. It's not synthetic but its not the skyhigh price of that either. That seems to be the only oil I've used that fixed my shifting problem on my bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts