Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,so i unscrew my oil plug, i drained all my old transmission oil out, so i go screw the plug back in, i over tightened it and it busted the lil threads in the inside case from underneath.. my dumbass stripped all of the threads out from my oil drain plug.. not the screw itself, but the inside of the case..to where u screw the plug back on.. so i need a new oil drain pan for a 03 GSXR 600.... if thats what it is called? where can i get it??

thanks...

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
may i ask , what do u mean by Heli coil it ?

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my dad wants to take a tap and die tool and try make new threads up there... will that work, or do u think it would be better to go heli-coil it..

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
You better heli-coil it.. Doesnt cost much at all. I dont trust home Tap jobs, they just never seem to hold up... Unless your dad is a professional, have the shop do it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A Heli Coil is a steel thread insert that you need to have done by a shop if you are not a machinist. It's not difficult to do but it does take a bit of talent and a special tap to accept the helicoil.
No, just retapping it will not work. When you stripped the threads you removed the material. Tapping will have no material to cut.
It's cheap to helicoil and it works
Jim

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i need to heli-coil it.. do yall know what the size of the oil drain plug is? not the 17mm but the thread size? 14 or 15 ???

Can i use heli-coil as the same size as my threads on my drain plug or should i go to a smaller size?

thanks guys for ur help!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
you should use the same size helicoil for your existing bolt thread. That way you do not have to go searching for the right size bolt through your coffe can of bolts :) Actually take it to a machine shop that can do that type of stuff. Its cheaper and easier to have them do it for you. Might only cost 25 to 40 bucks or in some cases a six pack of beer if they are a buddy. But still beats the cost of purchasing the correct tap for the helicoil insert and the correct drill size and the tool to install the helicoil. Remember to pop off the tang on the end of the helicoil or it will thread itself out. Quick note if you cant see anything going halfway across your newly installed helicoil, the tang was already popped off so quit looking for it:)
BTW helicoils are usually made out of stainless steel, they will be way stronger than your aluminum threads but still get a torque wrench and tighten your drain plug to the correct torque and do not neanderthal it
Hope that helps
Sean
Hope that helps

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
The kit is available for about $30. Search with Google or on Ebay. Your dad's idea will also work but won't give any additional strength.

Helicoil kits are available in many different versions ranging from a best price of $30 for a single size repair kit with a drill tap and 5 coils to $500 for a master kit.

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got it fixed... thanks everybody!! i hope my dumbass dont strip it again..

i use a heli-coil up there and it works... no leaks and i am happy!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts