Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new front tire on my 01 R6 and next day we went out for a ride and when I hit about 120I get a wobble in the front end. I was just wondering if any one might know why this is I put a Pirelli Diablo on the front and I have a Michelin pilot sport on the back. I was trying to figure if it wobbles because the bike just doesn’t like the Pirelli or the combination of the two tire treads or maybe the guy who put it on just didn’t balance the front tire all that well. If any one has had this happen to them please let me know

·
Registered
3 Posts
having a combination of different tires shouldn't matter

what can cause wobble is the improper balancing of the wheel
double check and have the wheel balanced
also check to see that the wheel was installed correctly

head shakes are common and known to happen on the R6 but any abnormal stuff should be checked

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I had the same problem on a tlr awhile back and it was because the front wheel needed balancing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the tire in to another dealer and ask them to check the balance on it and they said it was perfect. So now I am back to square one. Now I am wondering if it’s my bearings or my mechanic said I just might have gotten a bad tire and he could replace it free

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sometimes tires can come with heavy spots. Normally they're marked with a paint dot on the sidewall when that's the case. There should be some weighting on the wheel opposite that. If it's balanced though, that should have corrected it. Double check your tire pressure. Sometimes when installing tires, some places forget to set the pressure properly and that could cause it. I'm running Pirelli Diablos front and rear and my bike is smooth as hell. I do have a steering damper though, but I doubt that would mask a wobble caused by an improperly balanced tire.

Another thing you may want to check is your tire alignment with your front and rear. Make sure your rear tire is aligned correctly, and in relation to your front tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think i know the problem. with an older rear tyre, the rear of the bike will be quite a bit lower due to there not being as much rubber on the rear tyre. this is ok when the front is the same, but when you put a new front tyre on, this raises the front end too. the combined effect means that you have alot more weight on the rear, and not as much on the front, which reduces grip, and can make the front go light without you noticing, which can make the wobbling sensation you are experiencing.

i recommend changing the rear tyre too, making sure they are the correct psi for your weight, and it will also help if you make sure the suspension is set up for your riding style and weight.

if all that doesnt help, get a sterring damper.

hope all that makes sense.

·
Palm City Nice Guy
2,503 Posts
Make a three or four pound air pressure adjustment one way or another, that happened to me as well, fixed it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts