Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting..

So I have a predicament. I would like to get a sport bike, I'm thinking either a 500r or gs500. I would like to purchase this bike later this year, around winter, for two reasons: one, I'll have enough saved up then, and two, I'm under the impression that the colder months might be a better time to find a bike.

Here's where my problem comes in. I'm 20, and have only rode dirtbikes before, I would like to take the MSF course, but all the public classes, which only cost $25 are full for this year, meaning I would have to wait until next April/May/June to take it. But there is hope. I recently found a private practice that is offering a weekend class this August, the kicker, it's $185.

What should I do? Should I fork out $185 and take the class in August, then try and purchase a bike over the winter, or should I still buy a bike this winter, and wait to take the MSF class in the spring, OR hold off on the bike and get one AFTER I take the class in the next spring.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
you can ask the school if you can get on a "stand-by" if a student doesn't make it too class you get in. can't hurt to ask.

how much dirtbiking are we talking about? how recently?

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Yeah see if you can sneak in on a cancled spot. The MSF course is really good.(and a lot of fun too)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple of places that I have talked to about showing up and taking an empty spot have told me they already have quite a few people that plan on doing that, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Dirtbike experience, not much, but enough, every summer for the past 5 years, usually about 3 to 4 times a month. Most recently last Sunday (though it was the first time this year I had been on a bike).

I would most likely buy the bike from an individual, not a dealer.

·
Registered
452 Posts
hatekill said:
First time posting..

So I have a predicament. I would like to get a sport bike, I'm thinking either a 500r or gs500. I would like to purchase this bike later this year, around winter, for two reasons: one, I'll have enough saved up then, and two, I'm under the impression that the colder months might be a better time to find a bike.

Here's where my problem comes in. I'm 20, and have only rode dirtbikes before, I would like to take the MSF course, but all the public classes, which only cost $25 are full for this year, meaning I would have to wait until next April/May/June to take it. But there is hope. I recently found a private practice that is offering a weekend class this August, the kicker, it's $185.

What should I do? Should I fork out $185 and take the class in August, then try and purchase a bike over the winter, or should I still buy a bike this winter, and wait to take the MSF class in the spring, OR hold off on the bike and get one AFTER I take the class in the next spring.
I say go to the MSF class on the first day. There will usually be a couple of no-shows, so you'll be able to take their place (you aren't allowed to miss any classes). When I took it, there were at least five no-shows, and just about all the people who showed up that day that weren't signed up got into the class.

Good luck.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Samurai Jack said:
As far as getting a good deal in the winter, that may or may not be true. If you are talking about getting it from an individual then yes. If maybe from a dealer that does alot of used bike volume, then no.

M.
Agreed. You'll have more selection to choose from when buying a bike during the riding season... whether it be from a dealer or from private parties. Not many people sell bikes during the winter. In addition, you'll have to consider how you're going to get the bike home in the middle of winter if you buy one then (unless they are willing to store it for you for no charge - not likely).

The best time (I've found) to buy a bike is late fall, when dealerships are trying to scale down their inventory. Otherwise, early spring is probably the next best time.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
hatekill said:
First time posting..

Can't comment on buying a used bike in your area winter vs. spring. CA is way different.

Does the private class offer the same DMV license certificate as MSF? If so, I'd sign up for it AND try to get into an MSF class "stand-by" before the private class. If you make it into an MSF class, cancel the private one. If you don't make it into MSF and the private one gives you an equivalent certificate, go for it. It's really a "small" price to pay and will help you decide if street riding is really for you before you run out and buy a bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone.

The private class does offer me the certif, with the help of everyones input, I'm thinking I might just drop the $185 to guarentee my place, and then look for a bike around October/November.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.