Sport Bikes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ill be taking the safety course in a few weeks. a friend has lent me his bike to practice with until then. what are some drills i could practice in the mean time? is there a website that can explain some basic maneuvers that i can practice on my own before taking the class? like i said, i have access to a bike and i ride every night. besides the usual putting around my neighborhood, i want to practice some drills. any ideas?

· Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
taziscool said:
Not to bust your chops(well maybe, cause it pisses me off)...do you have a license to be riding on the street? if ya don't, please stay off of them until your get one.
no, i dont have a motorcycle license. not yet. why does that piss you off? put your soapbox away for a minute. im not an 18 year old irresponsible child. are you going to tell me the you never ever rode before you had one? im not saying its okay to ride without one, i have every intention of getting one, and im taking the class at the end of this month. i have a regular old class c drivers license. i just want to practice. is that really such a bad thing? i ride in the middle of the night, through my neighborhood, in full gear, to an empty grocery store parking lot to practice low speed turns and turns of varying radii and slalom type stuff. i have my buds bike in my garage, so im taking advantage of it. while i may be new to sportbikes, i have ridden cruisers and dirtbikes since i was a child. i just want practice. i didnt realize i had to be a pro already for it to be okay to practice. if you have a suggestion pertaining to my question, im all ears. if you just want to bitch because i dont yet have my license, but am doing everything in my power to practice safely for myself and others, then save it for a different newbie.

· Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i apologize if i came off as arrogant. that was not my intention, and i tried to word my reply to taz as calm and politely as possible without sounding like the typical dumbass newbie squid. i just thought that since i have access to a bike, an empty parking lot literally in the middle of the night, and gear, why not take advantage of it? i dont know if im doing my drills correctly, but i havet dropped the bike or fallen down, so something somewhere must be going right. i am taking the safety course soon. i live in houston, and am planning on having our own beloved "racer x" train me. im serious about this. im trying my best to do everything in my power to be as safe as i can be. im a father and a husband, and im really not trying to kill myself. i appreciate all of your comments and help. im intelligent and a fast learner at everything i do, and was just looking for some tips on things to practice in the meantime.

· Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Squid Killer said:
If your class isnt for a few weeks then I would suggest getting Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It is the best street riding book out there. It will have details of good riding skills to learn and practice.

Read it all so you can argue with Racer X during the class :lol New instructors need to get broken in. :twofinger
HAHA. thank you for the suggestion.

i know i guy with an R1. maybe ill show up for class on that with no shirt and flip-flops. :lol :lol

· Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
taziscool said:
So you actually admit you're an irresponsible adult....and HAVE been an irresponsible child.....doing something illegal, all the while KNOWING it's illegal, throws you into the group that you prefer NOT to be associated with.

Let me ask you this: does perpetuating part of what is wrong w/ this sport, just cause you're 31, make you different/better than the 18 yr old that does the same???

Me....I rode exactly 1(ONE) time on the street before getting a license.
maybe you should re-read the part of my post you quoted. i said its not okay to ride without a license, but i didnt realize my wanting to practice was perpetuating everything thats wrong in the sportbike community. give me a fuckin break. :twofinger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.