Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a specific Powerlet kit that works best for our bike? I'm upgrading my GPS to a Garmin quest with a Ram mount (sold together at GPSCity) and the Garmin Quest Motorcycle Kit...I'll be hardwiring it. I'm not electrically inclined except in the very basics (bare wires cause shorts type of stuff), but my plan is to just use the Powerlet plug to power my GPS while riding and then disconnect it and use the port to plug in the battery tender when needed. I've seen many posts about getting power from various spots (if I'm going to use a battery tender, that means a straight line to the battery right?), so I still have to think about that one, but for the time being, powering the GPS is the big thing.

I'm just missing WAY too many roads down here in Florida that I know must be cool, but don't show up on my Explorist, lol. A paper map is somewhat troublesome for "spur of the moment, oh let's see where this goes" trips.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I just get lost, half the fun is trying to figure out how to get back. I know that doesn't help but when have I ever been much of that. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Binary Jay said:
I just get lost, half the fun is trying to figure out how to get back. I know that doesn't help but when have I ever been much of that. :)
Yea, I did a fair bit of getting lost this past weekend, but I still like knowing where I'll escape. :D

In all reality, I'm working up for some multi-state trips later this summer and having a good GPS will be helpful for finding all the "must see items" whilst I lazily go from A to B. :lol

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
I looked into a Powerlet for the FZ6 but there doesnt seem to be a specific kit for it. They have a universal kit that should work. That is what I planned on getting. Here is a ebay auction for the universal kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4506688295&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Yes you would wire it direct to the battery. I don't know where you plan on mounting the outlet but I am going to drill a hole in the inner fairing. I'll mount it there and run the wires under the tank to the battery. Or you can mount it on the handlebar.

One thing you have to remember is that the Powerlet is a totally different plug than your usual auto powerpoint. You have two options there. You can get a Powerlet plug and replace the plug that comes with your GPS. Or you can get an adaptor that plugs into the Powerlet and then you plug the GPS cord into the adaptor.

Heres the Plug and the Adaptor

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Oh yeah, the universal kit comes in both a 24" and 48" length. I think the 24" should work but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I built a mount onto the handlebar using a clamp/mount purchased from a bicycle store (see my cheap mods thread).

Yup, I use my GPS alot. Great for exploring back country roads without fear of running out of gas before making my way out of the woods.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
skeleton said:
I built a mount onto the handlebar using a clamp/mount purchased from a bicycle store (see my cheap mods thread).

Yup, I use my GPS alot. Great for exploring back country roads without fear of running out of gas before making my way out of the woods.
I agree with you there. I have a Magellan Meridian with the mapping software. I'm running off batteries at the moment. Burns through em too fast though. I need to get a Powerlet soon. It's nice to just go get lost somewhere and know that you can find the shortest route back if you need to.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Garmin Quest Motorcycle kit is a "bare wire" kit (just bare leads for direct wiring or putting it in a plug), so putting it in a Powerlet plug shouldn't present any major issues. Just read about a guy doing that over in STN.

Thanks for the tips!

ejworthen said:
One thing you have to remember is that the Powerlet is a totally different plug than your usual auto powerpoint. You have two options there. You can get a Powerlet plug and replace the plug that comes with your GPS. Or you can get an adaptor that plugs into the Powerlet and then you plug the GPS cord into the adaptor.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Burnspot said:
The Garmin Quest Motorcycle kit is a "bare wire" kit (just bare leads for direct wiring or putting it in a plug), so putting it in a Powerlet plug shouldn't present any major issues. Just read about a guy doing that over in STN.

Thanks for the tips!
The cord for my Magelan has the typical plug for your auto. I use it in the car also so I guess I'll have to get another cord. Maybe I can find some kind of electrical quick change connector. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my Quest and stuff from GPSCity today. Dunno what experience people have had with GPSCity before, but when I received my stuff, I found that the GPS was "used", the registration code had already been used (I couldn't register), and there were fingerprints all over the Mapsource CD's (the seal was broken on the packet). I don't know how long it was used for, but it does still "look" new. Trying to figure out what to do with it now...it works a-ok.

Really pissed me off after having to saw off my right arm to have them delivery it to my office instead of my "billing address" (they're rather militant about fraud prevention). Buyer beware!

·
Registered
676 Posts

Powerlet port with custom made coiled cord.

Powerlet port PKT-042-24. 24" is more than enough to get from your front panel to the battery. I ordered the PKT-042-48 and have about twice as much wire as I needed.

This is probably the one you mentioned seeing over at ST.net. This is the motorcycle bare wire mount kit for the Quest on my FJR.

Quest mounted via RAM mount on FJR.

I had the fine people at Powerlet Products adapt this coiled power cord to the finished end you have on your Quest mount.

It's a very slick setup. I've got a lot of time and messing around in the whole thing, but it's been worth it. When I had them make the adapter cord I just had them snip off the audio line. I don't need it on the bike.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Thats exactly where I wanted to install mine. Just have to get around to ordering it. How well can you see the color screen in direct sunlight? My magellan is monochrome and I can see it real well. I like the color screen since it makes the details stand out so much better but am worried about being able to see it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, I'm thinking about just direct wiring my GPS instead of using a Powerlet...the Quest just pops out anyway and there'd be no power usage when there's no GPS in the cradle. I don't really use any other farkle's at this point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts