Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dont plan to do any wheelies anytime soon, but why do people say that powering them up is bad, and that clutching them up is better? i always powered my wheelies up on dirt bikes and i never had any trouble, i always thought that clutching was alot harder on the bike?

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
More control. By the time the bike is in its BP while using power, its already at its redline, or quickly getting there.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, but i usually just shift while im up, to avoid the redline

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
no, clutching is bad on the clutch...wet clutch is easily replaced and cheap so why protect it. powering them up is more fun, but snapping the throttle is not good on the drivetrain overall.

anyways, it's all wear and tear on the bike to varying degrees. just go out there and do them both and have fun, you'll be more worried about not looping your brand new bike and breaking it and yourself into little pieces than about a measley clutch or chain.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not gonna be doing any on my r6 till i got a whole lot more miles under my belt, i was just curious as to why most prefered the clutch

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Clutching is more predictable, smoother, and just plain easier once you figure out how to do it properly.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
i do it both ways and i prefer to bounce 'em up when i'm doing standups and clutch it on sitdowns...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:
im not gonna be doing any on my r6 till i got a whole lot more miles under my belt, i was just curious as to why most prefered the clutch
Dont lie you're practicing now right? :fiddy That shit is addicting. :cheers

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
GixxerJRG said:
:eek:nfloor :urowned

·
Registered
336 Posts
clutching brings it up at much slower speeds and keeps you from chasing the front wheel up. i'll do a power wheelie every now and then, but clutching is far more predictable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
100% of stuntriders use the clutch for wheelies.

the roll on, roll off, roll on is easy for learning but bad for the bike because your slamming the natural play in the chain/trans around

its good form to bounce a bike to bring it up, even necessary for real fast stuff

dont do em unless you wanna dedicate yourself to doin em right and doin em safe

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
funny chit, 1 week............i'm safe , i'm cautious.........all ya'll are wrong.........blah blah blah

whatever.........

·
Registered
214 Posts
Depends on the bike. I always clutched my 6, but my 10R comes up in 2nd gear no problem by smoothly twisting the throttle. No bouncing, no clutch.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GixxerJRG said:
honestly im not trying them, but i am practicing on my dirt bike, im still in the break in period on my r6.......gotta take good care of her

i dont plan to do them for a while yet

·
Registered
415 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:
honestly im not trying them, but i am practicing on my dirt bike, im still in the break in period on my r6.......gotta take good care of her

601 miles, ok let's do this shiieettt.... :lao

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
Clutching is more predictable hands down.

·
Registered
548 Posts
funny chit, 1 week............i'm safe , i'm cautious.........all ya'll are wrong.........blah blah blah

whatever.........

Dude you don't have to explain yourself to these guys. They have no idea what you are doing or what you will do. If you want to do wheelies at 600miles then do them, if you say you are going to wait till you get more ride time then do that. Just do what you want. To many people here tell you what you should and shouldn't do......it's your life, it's your bike just ride the way you want to.

I believe someone who posted here said I would be dead in a month :eek:nfloor So don't let people here tell you what is going to happen or what you should do.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:

Its cool if you are....I know when I got my new bike I couldnt break it in fast enough....it seems like no matter how much i get on the throttle the front tire just wants to come up :phatyo Do it when u feel comfortable only u will know when that is. but u're right to wait until you're through your break in period.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
even after 600 mi, im not gonna be ready for wheelies on my r6, and i am gonna keep them on my dirtbike for a loonnnggg time. it was just a question that i was wondering b/c on a dirt bike i perfer powering them up and also i heard that clutching is bad for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you guys that clutch em up, what kind of rpms are you letting it rip at? that just seems a lot less predictable to me. i think i'm from the same situation as the original poster. my rmz will power wheelie with no sweat but your not flying like on the street.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts