Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i need some help. I have a 2002 zx6r with 5600 mi. I recently put a bolt on D&D (which sounds beautiful). And had it lowered 2 inches a couple weeks ago. Have never had any other work done on it but that and scheduled oil changes. My question is that I have experienced a power loss for some reason. I can pin the throttle in frst gear at 9,000rpm and it just goes. It used to bring the front end up. Another thing is that I can be cruising on the highway n 6th at 7,000rpm, drop two gears and it feels like it's going nowhere fast(it will slowly pass a car). Any suggestions to what could be causing this? thanks...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Exactly, the only reason people lower their bikes for performance are to drag them. The whole point of it is so you can keep your front end on the ground.

#2- I agree with Ershank, you are probably just thinking it is slower. Only other thing that might be possible, but not very probable with less than 6000mi, is your clutch. Has it been stunted or drag raced a lot? I can't see a clutch going out at 5600 but stranger things have happened. My bike has a hydraulic clutch and I had to bleed it recently. The 1st time I took it out for a test ride, it was not bled completely and a ninja 250 could have beaten me. It wasn't revving like it was in neutral or anything, it was just like it was soaking up the power it made or it wasn't even there. Bled the clutch again and had no problems after that.

Besides, if it was your clutch, you would probably notice it in 1st gear like I did.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I haven't stunted it much at all. Just a small power wheelie here and there. No drag racing at all. I was mainly concerned that if it was running lean that it would harm the engine. I lowered it originally because i felt more confident on a friends bike that was, but now i'm beggining to not like it much at all. So from the info I've provided you don't think a jet kit etc. is necassary? What I really noticed was that pinning it in the powerband wouldn't bring the front end up (even before lowering but after the exhaust install). Thanks guys...any more opinions keep em commin. :cheers

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Well funny you mentioned. The other night me and my friend were riding and I too noticed my bike running weak, but powerful enough on top end.
So I just out of no where was looking at the pipes (Muzzy titanium) I noticed No. 4 was not even hot, I was able to actually hold my hand on the pipe while it idled. Hell I started freaking dead cylinder.
Well I did the whole check wires, plugs and so forth, they were all good. Still noticed a cool pipe.
Well I then removed the carbs and checked bowl no. 4 and voila...stinking dirty. Well I also checked my air adjustment screws under the carbs and noticed they were 5 turns out.
I cleaned out the bowls, cleaned the jets and closed all 4 screws to 0 and turned to 2.5 out.
Next day, I got a 16 oz can of Berrymans carb cleaner (not the spray but the additive), dropped half of it in the tank, rode around, then filled up super unleaded and put the other half of the berrymans carb cleaner.
Rode all the way to Abilene (270miles) and it cleared up. Smooth throttle response and a hot ass pipe now.
I should have known because im running a Muzzy airbox setup which has a micro- reusable filter (fine wire mesh)
Check your carbs and clean them out, that could be the problem.
Also a jet kit really isnt required when you change the pipe out, but is more so required when you JET then leave a stock pipe. So in a way, you are ass backwards, but still alright. the back pressure is reduced but probably not significantly. Also do you still have your emissions? Check all your plumbing as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
beowulf2k said:
Well funny you mentioned. The other night me and my friend were riding and I too noticed my bike running weak, but powerful enough on top end.
So I just out of no where was looking at the pipes (Muzzy titanium) I noticed No. 4 was not even hot, I was able to actually hold my hand on the pipe while it idled. Hell I started freaking dead cylinder.
Well I did the whole check wires, plugs and so forth, they were all good. Still noticed a cool pipe.
Well I then removed the carbs and checked bowl no. 4 and voila...stinking dirty. Well I also checked my air adjustment screws under the carbs and noticed they were 5 turns out.
I cleaned out the bowls, cleaned the jets and closed all 4 screws to 0 and turned to 2.5 out.
Next day, I got a 16 oz can of Berrymans carb cleaner (not the spray but the additive), dropped half of it in the tank, rode around, then filled up super unleaded and put the other half of the berrymans carb cleaner.
Rode all the way to Abilene (270miles) and it cleared up. Smooth throttle response and a hot ass pipe now.
I should have known because im running a Muzzy airbox setup which has a micro- reusable filter (fine wire mesh)
Check your carbs and clean them out, that could be the problem.
Also a jet kit really isnt required when you change the pipe out, but is more so required when you JET then leave a stock pipe. So in a way, you are ass backwards, but still alright. the back pressure is reduced but probably not significantly. Also do you still have your emissions? Check all your plumbing as well.

Thanks man! That does make sense, the bike did sit for about a month and a half after an injury i had, so perhaps I should start with the checking out the carbs. Would some pour in carb cleaner be a good idea? Any certain brands?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
What is the sequence and time line for all this? Pipe, lowering, sat for a month, noticed loss of power, etc. If your bike was running lean before the pipe (most do), it will be even leaner with a slip-on but not a lot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RayOSV said:
What is the sequence and time line for all this? Pipe, lowering, sat for a month, noticed loss of power, etc. If your bike was running lean before the pipe (most do), it will be even leaner with a slip-on but not a lot.
Well alright here ya go. Guess I should have included that in the original post. It all began after The bike was dropped lightly in a parking lot due to oil on the ground(foot slipped when backing it out). A few days after that I noticed my back tire was worn badly and the battery cells were dying. Bike sat for a little over a month waiting to get money for battery, tire, and for my ankle to heal. After new battery and tire the d&d was put on (noticed low end power was affected). A week or so after that it was lowered.(now noticing power all around feels sluggish) What i'm worried about is that i am harming the engine by letting it run lean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts