Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 zx6r 636 and i want more power. It was my first bike, everyone talked me out of a liter bike, now i wish i would have just bought one anyway. The ninja will go over 160, but the take off is not the best. I am used to driving 9 second drag cars. Will a slip on and power commander give this bike alot more power, or should i get a zx10?

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
If it's just launching you're concerned about, go one tooth smaller on the front sprocket first.

A slip-on and mapping will decrease weight and increase power, but it's the same as doing it to a liter bike. The 636 is a good bike, and just going to a liter+ bike for power really only makes sense if you are in an area where you can use it, and I don't think Hawaii is the place (I could be wrong).

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
A slip-on and power commander wont be noticeable. For more acceleration do a sprocket swap. Or you could be old fashion and give yourself time to learn how to launch faster.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
down 1 in the front & up two in the rear will do wounders, you will lose some top end and crusing at 60-70 mph the bike will be reving a good +-1500 more then now, a pc III will give you better throttle responce and adding a slip-on (with pc III) will give you a little on top, sounds like you need a zx14 or busa better place to start for a drag bike

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
power increase is more but minimal. still not the same as 1000 vs 600.

example: my 06 600 - mods: sprockett, power comander, slip on
my friends 07 600 - mods: slip on.

from 40 mph roll. - he got jump i wasnt sure when he was taking off. he had 3 bike lead i gradually pull him in by like 90 i was about to pass him. then slowed down.

same case senerio with my friend on his 1000 with slip on and power commander. 40 mph roll i was with him for a split second maybe till 55 or so then he was gone. gradually pulling away pretty damn fast.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have the commander and the Akropovic can, on the fazer, and I noticed a couple things: the can gives the bike a quiet sound at low rpm, and a mega deep throaty sound at high rpm. No feedback on power increases.

The commander pretty much makes the engine into a freakin rocket past 5k, and this can be modified, I understand, with various commander power maps. I left it the way it is as it reduces shifting in city stuff.

I have no idea about top speed, because after 160 mph, I usually run into traffic. But it has PLENTY more left, without a doubt.

You trying to go in a circle faster? Just kidding, do what you want, but do it with safety, caution, and respect for local traffic.:banana:cheers

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a 05 zx6r 636 and i want more power. It was my first bike, everyone talked me out of a liter bike
I am glad they did. Learn how to handle the 600 1st. the liter bike is just a lot more to deal with power wise, My 600 handles it own with liter bikes on the track.

The ninja will go over 160, but the take off is not the best. I am used to driving 9 second drag cars.
I hope you are on the track doing this 160MPH, street :bitchslap
and even on the track your 636 isn't trapping that in the 1/4 mile.

Will a slip on and power commander give this bike alot more power, or should i get a zx10?
the PCIII will give you more power than a slip on. If you really want more power get a full system and a PCIII, You don't need a PCIII with just a slip-on they are mostly good for 1-2 more HP really. your best bet is some gearing to bring the low end alive and do a full system with PCIII

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
why does everyone care so much about speed. I could never go above 60 on the bike and have a blast. If the acceleration of a 600SS isnt enough Adrenaline for you, its only a matter of time before you wind up hugging a telephone pole @ 100 MPH

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I obtained a pretty good performance gain on my prior 06 FZ1 with a pc III with a professional made map for a micron slip on (or any slip-on) & a K&N air filter with a air box mod.

The sprockets are the best way to get more performance & wheelies for the buck $$

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
You should stop worrying about power increase and start thinking of what else it could do that is far more important than overall power output, and that's changing your power curve and torque curve.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
why does everyone care so much about speed. I could never go above 60 on the bike and have a blast. If the acceleration of a 600SS isnt enough Adrenaline for you, its only a matter of time before you wind up hugging a telephone pole @ 100 MPH
Go ride a liter bike and then come back and let us know your opinion :twofinger

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
yeah, you're obviously ready for a liter bike. you've mastered straight-line acceleration...

s3aturnr

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
I have a 05 zx6r 636 and i want more power. It was my first bike, everyone talked me out of a liter bike, now i wish i would have just bought one anyway. The ninja will go over 160, but the take off is not the best. I am used to driving 9 second drag cars. Will a slip on and power commander give this bike alot more power, or should i get a zx10?
Everyone gets wrapped up on Power Commanders, how about Tune Boy...sorry just noticed he does not yet support Kawasaki.

TuneBoy V3.0 Models Supported

·
Helping you go faster
355 Posts
Ditto on the Bazzaz. We just got hooked up with them, and if your bike is supported by them... they bring alot of cool features to the table... multiple maps & map selection switches, traction control, self-mapping via data-logging & a wideband O2, quickshifters, etc. Really, really cool.

You can look for Dynojet to be upping the ante in 2009, but the new units, with features like those above and a few other goodies, will likely only be for '08 or '09 and up motorcycles.

I also agree with what a few people are saying about power delivery rather than overall power. But from that standpoint alone - a well-tuned FI system is worth the $$, IMO. And if you can get a few extra ponies along the way... all the better :)

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
you are a master of straight line speed, get the turbo busa with nos

·
Registered
382 Posts
To: OP

Unless you stretch the swingarm on the 1000cc bike you wont get a better launch from a stop with it. Really 600cc bike can launch very well. When ever I raced my friends 1000cc GSXR against my 636cc ZX6R, I am always ahead of him about 200Feet or more untill I get to about 120mph thats when the litre bike pulls ahead of me. Its harder to launch a litre bike than a 600cc bike. If done right your 636 can beat the gsxr 750....I know this cuz I have beaten my friends 750 from a red light.

I Ride: 2006 ZX6R Ninja 636cc (Same bike as yours)
My mods were PowercomanderIII with Dyno tuned map from a local Dyno shop
Two Brothers Titanium V.A.L.E Dual Exhaust
-1 Tooth in front +2 in the back
Racing Camshaft, Lighter Titanium Vavles
I also did this mod: I-Hacked.com Taking Advantage Of Technology - Hacking a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
This mod really works helps with your top end and give you 3 more horsepower at 14000 rpms
Speedo Healer
All these mods except the dyno was done by me.

My bike was Dyno'ed at 131HP at the wheel 49HP Torque much better than stock

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
^^ What is 49HP torque? I want some.

Seriously, if you're into 9-second cars and could care less about the finer aspects of power through a corner (as I'm sure you've been grilled about above), get at least a liter or a Hayabusa or ZX-14.

Trying to 'squeeze' drag-bike power out of a 600 will just be a waste of time and money, unless what you already wanted was a 600cc power package and wanted to accent it with a slip on and ignition computer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts