Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, since this thread is lost to the archives...I'm starting it back up.

Received and installed my PCIIIUSB this weekend on a stock bike using the stock map. Needless to say, I was more than anxious to get this thing in! I have not yet done the Accelerator Pump option, as I wanted a comparison point.

Just FYI (and for those of us that may be less than mechanically inclined), you will need to undo the side panels of the fairing (a couple silver allen bolts on the side, a small plastic bolt near the mirror and another silver allen bolt near the instrument cluster - this is per side). Once you do this, CAREFULLY pull the BLACK piece out and away. Once you've done this for both sides, you can undo the two allen bolts that hold the front of the tank and easily lift it. This step is not mentioned in Dynojet's instructions, so I thought I'd help some of you out. BTW, also use extreme care getting the pieces out and in, as it is very easy to gouge or score the plastic and I'm sure you want your baby pristine!!

I (very, very unfortunately) only had time for a jaunt in town. I definitely noticed that throttle input is much smoother. One thing I hated (pre-PC) was when I hit a hard bump that caused me to abruptly close the throttle. Fuel flow seemed to stop completely (part of the snatch-and-jerk effect I'm sure). This seems to be entirely alleviated. Overall power feels better, but I really need to get this thing out to tell for sure.

Anyhoo, just some preliminary info for those interested. I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, I know this was covered before but can you tell me where you bought them from and how much you paid. Thanks :)

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
You have to learn how to get them to price match...LOL

Skippy :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Its next on my purchase list. I think my pipes are blue'ing a little because the devils wide open are making it run so lean. It also gives that small popping back fire when letting off of the throttle. Kind of like it though... so I am seeing this PC as a neccessity. At least thats what I am telling myself...... :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mine still "pops" a little when I close the throttle, I don't think this is a sign of lean but more a sign of richening at the lower throttle openings, i.e still getting fuel, just not enough air.

Could be wrong, been wrong before.

Skippy

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"You have to learn how to get them to price match...LOL"

Hell, I was excited not to be paying $330 :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be interesting to see the A/F readings after installing. Too bad most of the tuners listed on Dynojet's sheet are Harley shops. Rather take my bike to a tuner who knows race bikes than hogs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally installed the Devil Slip-ons and Power Commander. The bike was put in the Dyno today. The outcome was not as I expected. A new map was created for this setup (Devil Slip-ons Only). If anyone is intreseted I have the fuel table with all the values. It deffinitely runs smoother and a notoceable decrease in vibration. The low end SUCKS! the curve goes up and down until you reach about 8K RPM beyond that point it's nothing but super power!!! there is too much restriction between the manifold and the catalytic converter. It was suggested to me that those items should be replaced to get the most of your set up. It still runs much better than it did. I hope Devil comes out with a complete setup soon!!!!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
low end?

when you say the low end sucks, does it suck more than stock? Or less? That is my main complaint on the FZ6, I really don't do much riding over 8000 and as you know most of the power is above the 8000 lever.

·
Registered
193 Posts
slipons

I was checking out the exausts listed on the mods list, and some of them do sell the conector pipe without the catalytic converter. I figure that will help the power, I imagine it is ilegal in California, but will anyone really find out? Will I have to do any mods to run it or just have the powercommander retuned?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For those that get their bike tuned after the PC:
Be sure to upload your revised map to Dynojet for the benefit of the community. Make notes in the map as to the conditions under which it was done. It would be interesting to see comparisons between the 49/Cali models, as well as geographic differences. However, the more variables added into the equation (exhaust, air filter, etc.) the harder it is to compare.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
bartolo420 said:
Finally installed the Devil Slip-ons and Power Commander. The bike was put in the Dyno today. The outcome was not as I expected. A new map was created for this setup (Devil Slip-ons Only). If anyone is intreseted I have the fuel table with all the values. It deffinitely runs smoother and a notoceable decrease in vibration. The low end SUCKS! the curve goes up and down until you reach about 8K RPM beyond that point it's nothing but super power!!! there is too much restriction between the manifold and the catalytic converter. It was suggested to me that those items should be replaced to get the most of your set up. It still runs much better than it did. I hope Devil comes out with a complete setup soon!!!!!!
Anyway you can post the results? I've seen from previous bikes that the PC won't give you more low end power, it will just even the curve out to give you an equal increase instead of those flatspots in the powerband. I've also seen a 3-4hp increase on the top end....did you experience that?

·
Registered
205 Posts
bartolo420 said:
I don't know about sucks, I have had an FJ1200 and a 2001 R1, and I can tell you, this little bike works as well, if not better than both of those bikes in on the road situations.

It builds power nicely from about 5000 and then really kicks booty from about 7000 until it signs off around 12800-13000.

Now, this is real world, on the road experience, not a dyno, as my local dyno is currently inoperative.

And in the mountains, it stays with all the crotch rockets and v twins, as it is the rider, not so much the bike that keeps it fluid through the corners.

I love the low end power of this bike and the way I can build revs quick with either the clutch or a down shift or 2.

Skippy

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I installed mine last night on my stock FZ6. Installation was really simple. I couldn't really wring it out on the wet streets last night (or on the way to work this morning), but I can tell some differences.

The bike seems to idle rougher when cold, and takes longer to warm up. I didn't have time to see if it runs cooler once it gets to operating temperature.

Like other folks have mentioned, the power delivery is smoother now. I don't know that I can describe it well, but it just builds power nice and smoothly now. Personally, I wouldn't call it a radical difference, but it sure is nice. The power still comes on abruptly from a closed throttle, but it seems to be a little bit smoother than it was.

Hopefully I'll have time to get out tonight to work it over more thoroughly.

Anthony

·
Registered
88 Posts
Guys,

Some power commander related questions:

1. Where do you guys get the different maps to load into the power commander.
2. Can somebody make pics of the power commander? (never saw one).
3. Does this affect your guaranty?
4. Is there a possibility when the power commander craps out the bike can wreck it's cylinder due to a lean mixture?

Just some considerations before getting info on the power commander.
Can somebody also tell me the good types / brands + according pricing?

Thanks for this info!

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts