Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have an extra subframe lying around (don't ask) and am seriously thinking about having something done to it, whether that be a new paint job or powder coating. If I go powder coating, I am going black, as I can't get over how good the black framed bikes overseas look. I know that the frame and sub frame are just painted silver so all of the paint and primer (corrosion inhibitor, and whatever else they have under there) would need to be stripped, more than likely in a chemical dip. So once stripped... does powder coating protect the metal from corrosion or do they use a base? Also - if I just had it repainted black (which might be more cost effective) - anyone have any ideas on the type of paint they use, as it seems really durable, well... until you put a 1200 grit sand paper to it, then it melts off like butter (again, don't ask).

Any input, or even design/paint scheme comments, would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If I was going to change the look of the sub-frame I think I would chop off the passanger foot pegs and just have the bar that goes straight back.
That would clean up the back a little but you couldn't have a passanger .... but since I never do it wouldn't bother me as much.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
As for painting, if you're on a budget, you can use Krylon right off the shelf. I've seen some paint jobs last a long time, provided you don't down the bike or do something else to it. And even if you do scratch it, it's easy to touch up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
greatzippy said:
If I was going to change the look of the sub-frame I think I would chop off the passanger foot pegs and just have the bar that goes straight back.
That would clean up the back a little but you couldn't have a passanger .... but since I never do it wouldn't bother me as much.

Something like this would be nice......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
:drool :drool :drool

Does it look to anyone else that the chain was removed from that bike and a belt drive put in it's place???

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great pics, but gawd these get off topic fast. I don't want to actually change the frame, however I had not really considered that.... so.... other than Krylon and if I were not on a budget... any ides about powder coating or repainting a "factory quality" or better paint job? or shall I assume the huge detour is due to no useful insight? *grin

·
Registered
858 Posts
Powder coating would be the most durable but I think if cost is a issue go with a automotive 2 part paint (Base coat and a clear coat and baking it on with heat) and can be just as durable if the frame is prepared right prior to paint. Guess the cheapest cost would be just spray paint in a can (Krylon or similar). I bet if you talk to one of the autobody shops they could sneak your frame in at the same time they do a car with a color close to what your looking for :lol worth a try anyhows

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm... WTVa - that sounds like a great idea... kinda funny, b/c I am having my car repainted (Classic Black with some pearl) and didn't even think of going that route, slipping it in... maybe I could hang it off the bumper and tell em it's part of the car. *zinger!

But on to something kinda bumpy, something that came to me earlier... how well does Krylon hold up to heat... b/c that would be a really really easy way to paint the main frame as well as the subframe, while just taping off the rest of the bike... but again, the main frame gets really hot in the right conditions. I know autopaint should hold and powdercoat likewise... any input on Krylon or similar?

By the way - the new Coldplay album X&Y is AMAZING!!!!!!!! .... my mom even bought a copy. I called her to tell her about it and she said - yeah I already have it - sheesh.

·
Registered
419 Posts
greatzippy said:
:drool :drool :drool

Does it look to anyone else that the chain was removed from that bike and a belt drive put in it's place???
Oh no!!! Somebody beat me to it!!!! AAAaaarrrrggg. Nice bike though! :lol

About the paint, try the High heat spraypaint that Westernauto sells.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called Krylon taoday and they said all of their paints only hold to 100 degrees F. So that is out... for the subframe, it would b fine, but not for the frame. Sooooo... I really do think I may go and get soem of the cermic hightemp spray and hit the frame and subframe. I'm going black guys - and probably won't be coming back. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
superman89 said:
I called Krylon taoday and they said all of their paints only hold to 100 degrees F.
100ºF ? They must be kidding. That means their paint would peel/run/fall off/disappear on a hot summer day? Sounds like crap to me. Sure, I can understand it not taking the temps in areas around the exhaust but 100º? I'd call them back and check on details on that one.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heavy FZ6 said:
100ºF ? They must be kidding. That means their paint would peel/run/fall off/disappear on a hot summer day? Sounds like crap to me. Sure, I can understand it not taking the temps in areas around the exhaust but 100º? I'd call them back and check on details on that one.
That's what I said to the sales rep - and she said that is all they are "guaranteed" for. Who knows!??!?!?

But on the bright side, the guy at my local powder coating place said he would do the subframe for less than $40 and rims for $50. He started talking about colors and tossing in some blue sparkle with the black powder! - so many choices. sheesh.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I decided that before I go changin the bike colors ALOT... photoshop would be a nice preview. I didn't really care about doing a "good" job on the photos, but these give an idea as to what the bike would look like with only the frame black.... and I threw in one with yellow rims, as I think I am going to get some color (prolly some shade of yellow - I love yellow and blue) put on the rims when my next tire change change comes about. Well - what do you think? Should I do it?

also - I plan on doing the R6 fork mod in a few months, so that would bring the colors togethers

Attachments

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I'd say-- stick with black and blue combination and paint that swingarm too... any more colors might as well paint it "rainbow"! :lao

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
actually I kinda like the wheels, but I have two recommendations. Paint the rear sets and forks(or get R6 Forks) black, and loose the reflectors.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts