I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 check chain wear
#2 check the wear on the sprokets
#3 check the tires
#4 check all the fluids
#5 check the spark plugs if possable
#6 check matnance records (every thing should be on time)
#7 check the vin# if possable
#8 check for missing bolts fastners ect.
#9 check the condition of the brakes
#10 look at the inside of the fairings for ckacks or fixed spots
#11 check to see if the throtle sticks
#12 check the electrical conectors,wires ect
#13 always insist on a test ride
#14 start the bike to see how it runs,idles,ect
#15 if the millage dont match up to the way the bike looks its probably been turned back
feel free to add from your own knowledge

·
Registered
569 Posts
Broken shit.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I may have to disagree on the test ride. I personally got to test ride my bike before I bought it used from a dealership because I know the owner, but this is not always the case.

To be honest, if I were selling a bike, the buyer would need to prove to me in some way or fashion that he had experience, but even then I can't gaurantee I would let him/her ride the bike. If I did, it would be down the street and back, always within my sight, too much to risk.

If you can test ride it definately do it, but if they won't let you it doesn't mean there is a problem, they may just be wary for financial reasons.

I'd also check inside the fender for rubber from burnouts. I'm sure we've all done it, but for some people this may cause them to not buy a certain bike.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Make sure everything is there! I bought my first bike without mirrors. How the hell did i do that? N e ways, never get too excited when looking at bikes...u miss the simple stuff.
Check the inside of the fairings for cracks that might not be on the outside because the bike was repainted or something.
Obviously check for leaks and check fluid levels.
Like he said, check for broken shit.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Check forks for leaks. Look at top of front fender for signs of bottoming out as a result of hard wheelies. Look at bar ends and mirrors for scrapes resulting in the bike being dropped.... be wary of aftermarket parts such as generator covers.

Look at the way the tires are worn, chicken strips? etc... This will give you an indication of how it was riddin.

·
Banned
30 Posts
no one has mentioned the most important thing.

THE OWNER. Get to know the owner. What kind of rider is he? mature? stunter? How well do they know the bike? and how well have they taken care of it?

I always spend some time looking at the bike and then interview the owner.

·
Registered
308 Posts
put the bike on some front and rear stands and roll the tires. Check to see if the rims are straight. If you feel that the tire is "catching" on certain areas when you're turning it, it could be a bearing or possible bent rim. Also the brakes, and rotors may need to checked to see if they're straight.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
You'll also want to avoid purchasing any bike being sold by someone wearing a clown costume. Always a bad practice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This may seem pretty basic, but check the title, especially if buying from a dealer. In states with non-disclosure laws, they don't have to mention if the bike is wrecked/rebuilt or if there was an odometer tampering. I learned that out the hard way

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
The owner +1. Talk to them about how fast is it, how's it wheelie and stoppie. You can learn alot like that.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Check the gas tank for rust or other foreign materials. There were sugarcubes in my tank when I bought it. Previous owner must have pissed someone off (thinking g/f or wife).

·
Politically incorrect
508 Posts
954 said:
Fat chance. You'd have better luck riding my woman than my bike. :twofinger
I would only let someone test ride mine if I knew him well. I took someone for a test ride before.

Truth be told, I would never buy a used sportbike from someone I didn't know. I wouldn't want a bike that someone thrashed. That is why I only buy new motorcycles, unless they are classics.

·
Registered
173 Posts
check the welds on the frame to see if they look like they have been redone...most things on a bike can be easily replaced but if it has been in a major reck the frame could have been damaged and rebuilt of repaired...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts