Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you been following the story muslim angry over cartoons

PARIS, France (Reuters) -- Denmark said on Friday it could not apologize for cartoons in a Danish newspaper depicting the Prophet Mohammad as outrage spread across the Muslim world from the Middle East to countries in Asia.

"Neither the Danish government nor the Danish nation as such can be held responsible for drawings published in a Danish newspaper," Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen said after meeting with Muslim envoys in Copenhagen.

"A Danish government can never apologize on behalf of a free and independent newspaper," he said. "This is basically a dispute between some Muslims and a newspaper."

Up to 300 hardline Islamic activists in Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim country, went on a rampage in the lobby of a building housing the Danish embassy in Jakarta.

Shouting "Allahu Akbar" (God is Greatest), they smashed lamps with bamboo sticks, threw chairs, lobbed rotten eggs and tomatoes and tore up a Danish flag. No one was hurt.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/02/03/cartoon.wrap.reut/index.html

This is my favorite qoute from this article: "This means the whole story will continue and that we are back to square one again. The government of Denmark has to do something to appease the Muslim world," Attia said.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Here is an idea...........

Make them all martyrs and kill the stupid fuckers.

I hate organized religion but the Muslims extremists are very much akin to the old Christian crusaders.

Dumb fuckers..........

·
Writer of Wrongs
3,633 Posts
British newspapers have so far refused to publish the cartoons, earning them praise from Foreign Minister Jack Straw.

"I believe the republication of these cartoons has been unnecessary, it has been insensitive, it has been disrespectful and it has been wrong," he said.

"I place on record my regard for the British media, which has shown considerable responsibility and sensitivity."
Jack Straw translated: Please don't bomb us again.

·
Registered
516 Posts
hybrid said:
I hate organized religion but the Muslims extremists are very much akin to the old Christian crusaders.
Or some of the newer sects. After reading Dan Brown's stuff, I read a few posts from folks who had gotten out of Opus Dei (fundamentalist Catholic)...Just about as brainwashed, only instead of blowing themselves up, they practice self-inflicted pain on a daily basis (e.g. scourging, the whole "cilice" concept). This world has some screwed up folks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ha! When Sinade O'Connor ripped up a picture of the Pope on her Saturday Night Live performance in 1994, the next week, Danny DiVito had reassembled the picture and displayed it.

Sure, there are a few Christian nut cases but the religious leaders are not calling for fatwahs. Therein is the difference.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
robertsons is one person and he appoligized for his crack pot comment... that is not comparable to what muslims are doing around the world over some cartoons....

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
DCMETRO1 said:
robertsons is one person and he appoligized for his crack pot comment... that is not comparable to what muslims are doing around the world over some cartoons....
Are you saying you think he is sorry he said it? And let's not forget his Wrath of God swipe at Sharon.

We haven't seen a comparable cartoon about Jesus, now have we?

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Just wait til the Jesus getting in the butt by a black man cartoon comes out in Hustler. Didn't Larry Flynt get shot over some shit like that a few years ago?

This again goes to show that it's ok to dehumanize lower class minorities, but they are further labeled as immoral animals when such tact is used within their communication. And the self-fulfilling prophecy conitinues when they react.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
license2ill said:
Just wait til the Jesus getting in the butt by a black man cartoon comes out in Hustler. Didn't Larry Flynt get shot over some shit like that a few years ago?
The minute I see it, I wont be out in the street burning a flag, losing my mind with my angry buddies to get a better shot of the effiegie of BUSH burning. Its CALLED FREEDOM OF SPEECH. More so, freedom of the press.

See the difference? Got a dollar that says you dont.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
In my opinion--It's kind of dumb to exercise "Freedom of Speech" when you clearly know that all it will do is incite hatred and add fire to an already very complicated situation (and possibly get people hurt).

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
5niner0 said:
In my opinion--It's kind of dumb to exercise "Freedom of Speech" when you clearly know that all it will do is incite hatred and add fire to an already very complicated situation (and possibly get people hurt).
Do you own an AK-47? Do you fire rounds into the air sharing your hatred of the "flavor of the month"? Do you wear a mask to hide who you are?

Maybe we as a nation are more tolerant of freedom of speech. But I as one person am sick of people chanting "death to ********" because somehow they were offended.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
timd99 said:
Do you own an AK-47? Do you fire rounds into the air sharing your hatred of the "flavor of the month"? Do you wear a mask to hide who you are?

Maybe we as a nation are more tolerant of freedom of speech. But I as one person am sick of people chanting "death to ********" because somehow they were offended.

There's more than just some smiley digs behind the symbolic communication here. The masters always expect the defeated peons to take it all with glee. As I said above, the reactions always fulfill the prophecy. The frustration is not with a simple cartoon caricature, its' with a culture of domination that is reinforcing itself at every turn. The reason we can take something like this and slough it off is because we don't share that status. Freedom of speech matters not when you are a slave.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts