Sport Bikes banner

Possible ZX-10 recall?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  beaulauber 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I work for a Kawasaki dealer. Apparently this is a world-wide recall. It is a casting problem. The wheels are on backorder as are the "repair" kits. It may take some time to get all this fixed, but you shouldn't be riding you zx10 in the meantime as the notice stated.

#8 ·
I read about this a few weeks ago. I'm glad to see that Kawasaki is going about it the way they are.

#9 ·
Here's a German recall translated....

To all Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R owners, please understand this is preliminary, to get this information to Ninja ZX-10R riders as soon as possible. Furthermore, I ask you to give US dealers and Kawasaki time to clarify the situation. GIVE US ONE WEEK'S TIME BEFORE YOU COME TO US WITH QUESTIONS PLEASE!

Recall Action.

Kawasaki stated that on some ZX-10R front wheels an error arose with the casting procedure at the supplier. Only a small number of ZX-10R wheels are affected by it . However, to ensure the absolute safety of our customers, we decided to replace all front wheels free of charge - regardless of their condition.

Rear wheels are not affected by this recall.

Although we have observed this casting defect with only three front wheels world-wide so far, we instruct customers to not use their motorcycle until the front wheel is replaced.

We believe the majority of the motorcycles that were delivered to Europe will be repaired by the start of September. The replacement action begins in the middle of August. Customers are asked to contact immediately their dealer (implies the one they bought from) in order to start the replacement action. This recall action only concerns the Ninja ZX-10R, other Kawasaki models are unaffected.

FAQ - Frequent Questions and Answers

Question: Do all ZX-10Rs exhibit this casting defect?
Answer: Not all units are affected by this casting defect. However, all units before a certain date will be recalled for safetey reasons. A visual inspection of the front wheel will not suffice to indicate whether an defect is present.

Question: Why does this concern only the front wheel of the Ninja ZX-10 R?
Answer: The rear wheel is poured in another mold than the front wheel.

Question: Should I stop riding the motorcycle?
Answer: Yes. Do not ride the motorcycle until the front wheel is replaced.

Question: If I cannot ride my motorcycle any longer, how I am to bring it to the dealer for repair?
Answer: The dealer should preferably bring your motorcycle by trailers or truck to the dealership. If you should need such transport, please contact your dealer. Your dealer will then insure that your motorcycle is transported. Kawasaki will assume the costs of transport.

Question: I don't own a Ninja ZX-10R, but the front wheel at my motorcycle has the same design. Is my motorcycle similarly recalled?
Answer: No. The problem emerged only with molds of ZX-10R front wheels.

Question: My Ninja ZX-10R is my only means of transport. I cannot wait, until my motorcycle is repaired. What am I to do?
Answer: Please discuss such matters with your dealer. Sometimes a dealer may lend a temporary replacement. We have asked the dealer make every attempt to help you in such a case.

Question: Why will it take until September, before all motorcycles are repaired?
Answer: This period is necessary due to the available production capacities of the supplier. Because of the high potential for danger, we preferred to not wait until the manufacturer had sufficient stock.

Question: Can I use another wheel than the Kawasaki replacement and so keep riding my motorcycle?
Answer: No. No other Kawasaki wheel model would fit without broader modifications. In addition, the front wheels of other models in most cases weigh more, which would degrade the handling of the ZX-10R.

Question: How many casting defects in the front wheel have been found?
Answer: Three front wheels world-wide.

Question: Why did the supplier supply defective front wheels to Kawasaki Heavy Industries?
Answer: The Product Control of the supplier was not accurate enough.

Question: How will the supplier avoid errors like these in the future?
Answer: All wheels are submitted to a more precise radiographical check in the future. In addition they will improve the casting procedure, in order to reliably eliminate cavities.

Question: Does this problem occur also with ZX-10R rear wheels and/or at wheels of other models?
Answer: The casting defect did not occur with wheels of other models and/or ZX-10R rear wheels. The molds of the ZX-10R of rear wheels are not the same type as those of the front wheels.

#11 ·
I thought it was going to be a joke or something.... hahahaha...

like " recall on FRONT wheel"..... kawasaki had to add more weight to the front because of all the squids buying the bikes and looping them the first day.

I wonder if the cases of the broken front were from squids slamming the front end down after a little scare?

Either way.... Kawasaki is totally doing the right thing. Only 3 cases and they are recalling all. That is crazy.... Shit on the 10... the front wheel is barely used anyway. :flipa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.