3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys;

Need some sugegstions on a first bike.

I have ckecked my local AutoTrader and found the following bikes:

Ninja 250/500R
Suzuki GS500F

and Buell Blast.

BTW..i used a Ninja 250 in the MSF course here in Toronto. Loved it alot.
Thanks

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Personally I'd recommend the 500R. The 250 is fun but it just needs some more guts for everyday riding. When you need to get out of someone's way it's kind of hard on the 250.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love your signature!

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Haha thanks, which part??

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never argue with an idiot, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
It's true man, however I find myself arguing with idiots all the time... I can't seem to escape it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ninja 250R - the lightest, tightest handling learner bike I can think of. Needs to be revved beyond 10,000 rpm to really get anything out of it, but it's perfectly usable in everyday situations. You slow down to avoid trouble, not speed up. It can do anything in tight quarters or at very low speeds.

Ninja 500R - slightly heavier than the 250R, but still pretty light. I personally think it's less comfortable, but does handle well, and has a lot more go-ability than the 250. Probably the best all-around learner bike there is.

GS500F - more comfortable for larger riders, but I find the seat to be plank-like. Less go than the 500R, but a little more than the 250R. Handles well, and like the other two, are cheap and easy to maintain unless you plan on breaking and fixing fairings a lot.

Blast - ideal for very small riders, its seat height is very low and it's lighter than either of the other two 500s. 0-60 time is the worst of the few; I generally see about 7 seconds flat, where even the 250R can be wrung out to around 6 seconds. Seat can be made even shorter with an optional cut-down seat.

If you liked the 250R, there's no real reason not to get one - the 500R is faster, but the 250R will be a little easier to deal with very low-speed maneuvers. Gas mileage can't be beaten (60-70) and it's dirt cheap to insure. Even brand new, they're only $3000, too, $1600 cheaper than the next cheapest (the Blast.) If you're looking new, that'll save you a lot of money to get some good gear. I'd rather have better gear than a faster bike, myself.

But you really can't go wrong with any of them. They all have their high and their low points, and people will recommend whichever ones suit their needs, personally. For me, I liked the diminutive size of the 250R, and the soft suspension makes it very easy to deal with on the horrible roads here in St. Paul. It's about the best commuter bike out there. So you could still have a use for it once you're 'done' learning on it. No sense in taking a hit in depreciation, right?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot Repeator. That's alot of help. I am a short rider, but the seat height of the Ninja 250 was very comfortable. I even did the tight Z-patetern excersize in the course with the Ninja 250. But i heard alot of people saying that they get bored with the performance quickly. I really like the looks of the GS500F.

If I bought, would I be able to lower the bike myself or must have a mechanic do it?

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would go w/a EX250/500 since you liked how it felt already, and look for a used one since this is going to be your first bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
once you replace the rear shock with an ex500 one and lower the forks, the 250 ninja is outright ridiculous fun. best begginer bike out there.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
you lower the forks? What are you talking about??????

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would get the 500 if it was me. The 250 wont be able to handle highway speeds comfertably at all. Even the 500 about 85 just feels like too much work for it. Your better off just spending a little more now and geting something that will keep you exited for a lot longer.

·
Registered
531 Posts
jesseyo said:
I would get the 500 if it was me. The 250 wont be able to handle highway speeds comfertably at all.
Really? Have you owned a Ninja 250?

I have. The Ninja 250 can handle the highway just fine. A Ninja 250 is a GREAT starter bike!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
speedtuners said:
Really? Have you owned a Ninja 250?

I have. The Ninja 250 can handle the highway just fine. A Ninja 250 is a GREAT starter bike!
+1

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
The ninja 250 will handle highway just fine. I did 600 miles straight on my Ninja 250 about a month and a half ago.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm....I live in Canada. It maybe a pain to get that thing here.

drmnlateef said:
If your interested, I have an 2004 Ninja 500 with 1800 miles in awesome condition for sale, PM me for more info

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After shopping around. I have come to these options.

I can get a 2005 Ninja 250 for $7300 CDN out the door or get a 2005 Suzuki GS500F (lowered) for $7051 CDN from another dealership out the door. These prices include the taxes, freight, etc. The dealership for the GS500F has only 3 left. So I got to make my decision fast. The GS500F looks like a very good deal.

What should I do guys?
:fiddy

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
a used, cheap bike........CASH.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts