Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '92 honda cbr600f2 has had periodic problems ever since I bought it a few months ago.

First when I just got it, the bike would start and run fine....but when I was in stop and go traffic like on my days off the bike would refuse to start after I had parked it for a while. It seemed like the battery was low on power, lights came on and the starter worked, but not enough to fire the engine.

Had the stator replaced.

Then it ran fine for a while, but again on another day off in stop and go traffic it died while I was at a light. Same thing, lights worked, starter tried to start the bike but not enough charge in the battery it seemed..was able to roll start it and take it to a nearby dealer.
They said it might be a bad battery..so I had THAT replaced.

Now, 2 weeks later... I was in stop and go traffic and again it died when I was idling at a stoplight.

Got it started right away, then rode 3 miles to get a drink. When I tried to start the bike, again no go. The lights turn on and the starter worked...but not enough power to start the bike.

Roll started it and did some high speed runs and then went home.

When I tried to start it it did work.

Does anyone know what this could be? :(

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
If you have replaced the stator and your sure its good, then its probably the regulator/rectifier.

Search stator regulator rectifier, there have been several threads lately about those kinds of problems..

·
Registered
41 Posts
make sure you don't have a short anywhere, as this can be constantly draining the battery - also, get the rectifier tested........if this is faulty, it won't allow a regulated charge to the battery - I'd more than likely say that that's the problem. The rectifier's the little black box on the subframe under the rear fairing (left side, I believe)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks!

good thing it doesn't happen when I ride to work...only on days off in heavy traffic.

just got a shop manual, will examine it later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts