Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 02 sv650, all stock. Here's the symptoms.... It'll crank and start nicely with the choke, but it's reeeeeally sluggish (even when hot) and it backfires like crazy through the exhaust. It also spits a shower of gas through the top of the carbs, about 6" at idle and up to 18" when you dump the throttle. It takes it about 3 seconds to go from 3k rpm to 8k rpm. When you take the choke off, it won't idle but you can keep it running with the throttle cracked a bit. It's still sluggish, but the backfiring has let off some. Still spews gas. It also has absolutely no power. I had to hold it at about 6k rpm and ride the clutch just so it would pull itself up the ramps into my truck. It normally will pull itself up at under 2k rpm (4x4 truck, steep ramps).
What else... Carbs are completely stock now, as far as jetting, mixtures, and shimming are concerned. I blew carb cleaner through every port on them. all are clear. All the wiring looks good. The bike has never been down. The problem started after it sat for 2 weeks last summer. It had no problems the last time I rode it. Then I went to ride 2 weeks later and it wouldn't even pull itself out of the parking spot. OH another fun fact... You can unplug one cylinder and the backfiring stops. this is the same on either cylinder. for some reason though, they don't cooperate together. I'd assume either ignition or valve timing, how the hell does it jump timing while it sits? the bike only has 4,860 miles on it. i've owned it since it came out of the wooden crate. whhhaaaaat the hell. Any ideas? I've checked a buttload of things but it'd take forever to list them all

·
ZRX Pilot
419 Posts
1st check your plugs, then your floats.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
+1 to the above.

When you say the carbs are stock now, what were they before and did this problem start after you put them back to stock?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plugs are new, floats are nice and floppy and appear to be seating and sealing well. I had a retarded spell last year and I jetted (mains and pilots) the carbs, as well as shimming the needles. But this was at the beggining of the summer. the problem came after it sat for 2 weeks at the end of the summer. so, my first reaction (once i checked all the wires and connectors and plugs) was to undo what I knew had been changed. The carb is all i ever did. I never got anything else accomplished.

I just called the shop today, 2 days after i've taken it over there.... "uuh, well, we haven't gotten to it just yet. maybe we'll be caught up today and take a look at it" sooooo i suppose i'll be calling daily to keep it on the top of their minds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts