Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on the turnpike yesterday afternoon, and i felt the handling of my bike a little bit off, so i stopped to see whatz wrong, and realzied my rear tire was punctured by a little nail....my question is if this is fixable (and recommended to fix) or if my tire is a complete loss and i have to buy a new one..thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any recommendations on brands of tires? because rite now i have the dunlop 207 i believe, and im not to happy with them..i've heard michelin makes real good ones, but kind of expensive...anything else?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Tires are pretty much down to preferance. I like the Metzeler M1 I am running right now, but others have thier preferred brands. Depends on what you want to do with the tire, hard riding, lots of twisties, maybe a pirelli supercorsa, Michelin Pilot powers, Metzeler M1. Touring, maybe the Metz Z6 or something else.

Pretty much all the big name tire manufacturers are on the same page. Just pick one and try it, you dont like Dunlops, so try a pirelli or michelin next. If you do switch your tire to a different model/brand, make sure to get both the front and back. You want to have the same profile on both tires.

Check your pressure regularly. At LEAST once a week. Preferred daily.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I have never had ANYONE tell me to ride on a patched tire.. whether patched from the inside or out, EVERYONE (stealerships, to my small repair shops) says not to run on a patched tire.. I would just get a new one..

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would replace it. Check out some Z6's they are grippy and last a long time.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
this needs to be a sticky........***********NOT RECOMMENDED TO FIX-A-FLAT A "Z" RATE TIRE***************

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you don't race it (speeds of over 120+ for an extended period), I'd patch it.

I've ridden on plugged and patched tires and never had a problem. If the tire has pretty good tread and you're going to replace it, give it to me and I'll get it patched/plugged and ride it until the strings show.

This question comes up every now and then and still haven't seen 1 post where someone can DIRECTLY attribute an accident or blowout to a patched or plugged tire under NORMAL driving conditions (i.e., not racing or driving at an excessive speed for an extended period of time). It's always the same thing "I always hear that you should NEVER ride on a damaged tire..." but never any solid evidence.

Patch it or plug it (preferrably a mushroom plug, but I've used your cheap plugs) and ride it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
In a car i would deff fix it but on the bike those two wheels are your lifeline, and unless you are a hell of a unicyclist i would get a new tire all together, 150 or so bucks or your ass sliding down the pavement at 60MPH ?????????

·
Registered
211 Posts
ncpartsguy said:
This question comes up every now and then and still haven't seen 1 post where someone can DIRECTLY attribute an accident or blowout to a patched or plugged tire under NORMAL driving conditions (i.e., not racing or driving at an excessive speed for an extended period of time). It's always the same thing "I always hear that you should NEVER ride on a damaged tire..." but never any solid evidence.
Well realistically it is probably hard to post up a personal story of haveing a patched tire blowout from the grave! :eek:nfloor Just busting your chops so please don't get mad. I am just from the school of thought that anything that is patched is not as reliable as something new. I not just talking about at the track. I mean if you don't mind running the chance of your bike becoming and instant unicycle on the interstate at the speed limit of 70. So short answer it "Replace IT!!!!!"

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Here's my story:

Went to check the air pressure in both tires today...found my rear was at 20 psi !

As I wonder what the hell??? I look at the tire and yep, there's the head of a nail sticking out.

I called one shop and they didn't patch tires...a new one would run me about $200

Called Cycle Sports and they said they could do it... charge me one hour's labor which was about $82.25 exactly.

So I took my bike down....my wife picked me up in her car and I did errands all morning using her car.

Got the bike back around noon.... and now I'm here with ya'll! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts