Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the popo pulled me over tonight for some bull sh*% reason and then started just looking for reasons to give me a ticket. I wasn't speeding, had my girlfriend on the back (who was also fully geared) and both of us even waved to them as we passed them...at the speed limit.

The thing that pisses me off the most is how much they got onto me for my Suomy helmet since it doesn't have a DOT sticker on the back. Can someone go over the legality of the helmet laws and let me know if Suomy is at least street legal in the states. I know its passed by a European safety foundation but it didn't seem to matter to them since it had no stupid sticker.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
As far as I know, Suomy's are DOT approved, but not SNELL. I think Suomy's are DOT and BSI (British Standards Institute?). I think you'll be fine about the helmet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thats what I told him...but he said "it has no sticker on the back, its an illegal helmet." Here I am wearing full gear and making my passanger do the same and I get this kind of crap. Go mess with some squid wearing nothing but a tshirt and some flip flops. Anyone no anything more..or how to prove to them its DOT approved.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
It must be quota time for the coppers, remember when it comes to traffic 'enforcement' that police are writing tickets for self sustaining revenue to support the police department. In Illinois they do these 'safety checks' when revenue is low to help generate income for the cops, DUI is what they claim they are looking for, but sadly it's more for the 1000's of dollars it will generate for the cops thru fines and court costs per DUI. Don't get me wrong, getting drunk drivers off the street is a good thing, but who is benefitting financially from the deal?

Back in the 90's some hair brained politician came up with the idea that ALL vehicles should have their headlights on during the day. This was 1st tried by requiring Police thruout the US to have their headlights on as an example. Over the next 18 months police organizations lost ticket revenue by an average of 40% requiring many patrols to be reduced, hours to be cut, and greatly increased ticketing thru 'safety checks'. The reason for this was that the Police were some of the only people on the road with their headlights on during the day so they stuck out like a sore thumb, rather ironically like motorcycles in traffic. Due to the financial strains burdening most all Police agencies around the nation at that time the government removed the requirement for the headlights to be on during the day by Police. After this the same politicians pushed hard to make ALL new vehicles produced be required to have their headlights on at all times the vehicle is running. This was met by strong opposition from the AMA due to the fact that motorcyclist would then blend into the crowd like just another cager and not provide the added margin of safety needed by bikes.

Jump forward to today and you still see some vehicles with automatic daytime running lights, but most can now be turned off. Something else to notice is how many Police do you see currently with daytime running lights on? In Illinois it's rare to ever see that anymore due to what I explained above. I mean if you think about it, didn't people after seeing the cop with the daytime lights on then slow down? Isn't that the goal? Even when you don't see the cop way ahead of time you still slow down, but soon enough it's business as usual again, even if they had someone pulled over. So if both situations bring about a temporary slowdown to traffic, then what is the difference between them? REVENUE for the Police is the difference.

Just some food for thought. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But what about having a DOT sticker on the back of your helmet. Anyone know of the actual law that says there has to be a sticker? Is there another way to prove the legality of the helmet. I checked Suomy's website and they claim that their helmets are DOT approved, but nowhere on the helmet can I find anything to show.

·
Don't Mess With Texas
324 Posts
Well if he specifically stopped you to look at your helmet then he was in the right.

Chapter 661.004 in the Texas Traffic code states "Any peace officer may stop and detain a person who is a motorcycle operator or passenger to inspect that person's protective headgear for compliance with the safety standards presribed by the department"

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Damn Kevin, Damn. Seriously, get the hell out of your lawbook, go do Chrissy or something! hahah. I'm curious how to find out if Suomy is DOT or not....

·
Don't Mess With Texas
324 Posts
Spike said:
Damn Kevin, Damn. Seriously, get the hell out of your lawbook, go do Chrissy or something! hahah. I'm curious how to find out if Suomy is DOT or not....

Well I had to help a 'brotha out, since I was born in the city he lives in, and since TX law is my favorite :lol

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
If I remember correctly any State that has a helmet law requires it to be D.O.T. labeled, which has more to do with Government funding than anything. Illinois use to be 1 of the only States that didn't have a helmet law and the Illinois Depatment of Transportation paid for that choice by recieving less funding by the Federal Government for roads. The Government used that as a way to try and pressure States into having helmet laws, again by that all important factor, MONEY. The fact that your helmet has a D.O.T. label, or not, is a technicality, but enforcable.

Remember who it is that provides that D.O.T. label, the Government, they want to have a strangle hold on everything. I would imagine that the Government (D.O.T.) recieves money from those manufacturers that display the D.O.T. sticker. So this gives monopoly power to the D.O.T. by requiring their sticker on all helmets used in States requiring helmets, even if another standard far exceeds the D.O.T.'s specifications. Big Brother at his finest! :rolleyes

·
IM A BAD ASS WITH A STICK
374 Posts
lids over seas are better then the ones here...they have better saftey standards...from what ive heard

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
there are DOT stickers on e-bay....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kawisixer01 said:
there are DOT stickers on e-bay....
Thats what I'll prob have to do, since I can't seem to find any other way of proving that the helmet is DOT approved(besides printing something off of their website-which prob wouldn't hold up.)

I'll go look on ebay right now.

·
Registered
402 Posts
snakemann said:
Well if he specifically stopped you to look at your helmet then he was in the right.

Chapter 661.004 in the Texas Traffic code states "Any peace officer may stop and detain a person who is a motorcycle operator or passenger to inspect that person's protective headgear for compliance with the safety standards presribed by the department"

However, this rule doesn't apply if you have an MSF card and Appropriate Insurance. The insurance is required by law anyway. . . So as long as you have the MSF card on you, it doesn't matter what helmet you wear or if you are even wearing one at all.

·
Registered
966 Posts
pmoney said:
lids over seas are better then the ones here...they have better saftey standards...from what ive heard
And I heard that GSXR's are slow!!! :lol ......I hate when people finish a statement with " thats what ive heard." :rolleyes

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lun said:
However, this rule doesn't apply if you have an MSF card and Appropriate Insurance. The insurance is required by law anyway. . . So as long as you have the MSF card on you, it doesn't matter what helmet you wear or if you are even wearing one at all.
I thought that to be able to sport NO helmet all you had to do was have a certain amount of insurance and some sticker on your bike that shows that easily? I have completed the MSF and have a large amount of insurance(but no sticker showing that), so this really really pisses me off if true.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts