Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to start polishing a swingarm i got for my 04 R6. First attempt i tried some paint remover. well that worked great, too bad it was only in spots the size of a penny and with only about half a dozen spots that size. Soo i break out the sandpaper, and after 2 hours of sanding i've got half of the paing off of it... this is a pita and to think i've got to go all the way up to 1500 grit.... this is gonna take awhile. I'm definately paying someone to polish my rims and frame this winter or atleast gonna have em bead blasted to remove the apin :eek: I'll post up some pics as soon as the thing gets done drying.

·
Registered
456 Posts
start with 80 grit in some spots then got to 150,220,280,320 then hit 400 wet,600wet,800wet,1000wet,1200wet,1500wet,2000wet you could got up to 3000wet but i stoped at 2000wet. then get mothers and a buffer. after buffing get aresol glass cleaner and soft paper towels and remove all teh residue

·
Registered
456 Posts
if you keep using aersol glass cleaner each time you clean your bike it should stay fairly good shape. also if you use Zoopseal. i heard good stories about that product. or just use mothers once evey 3 weeks doing a quickie it will maintian the luster. dont let comtaiminats get on it. it will spot the metal. also dont let rain water hit it. it stained my wheels to the point i had to rewetsand them down

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started with 100 grit wet sanding, and will probly forgo the water on it so i can get the rest of the paint off... got any hints tips on gettin the paint out of the little corners? i've got a Dremel tool w/ a few wire brush attachments i've been thinking of using for those hard to get area's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts