Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a tread on how to polish your rims but i can not find it. Has any one done there rims and tell me what I will need to do

Thanks

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
querias mas? good link, too bad my rins are white

·
Registered
456 Posts
paint them blue then polish

when i did my f3 wheels i started with 150 grit then went to 280 both dry. after that i went wet 400,six00,800,1000,1200,1500 and finally 2000 grit. then hit it with mothers polish and a polishing wheel that goes on teh dril you get from sears for like 5 bucks. then wipe them down with glass cleaner and your set

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quik said:
yes i have but use this method at first.http://www.zx6r.com/polished/

Thanks for the link thats what i was looking for do you have any pics of the finished rims that you did. Has anyone out there done the complete rim? The panit one one of the spokes on my rim looks as though it has been rubbed offso i think i will have to do the complete rim this winter.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Link didn't work for me

·
Registered
456 Posts
i guess the host took it off. i found that months ago but what you need is this
go to home depot get the strongest stripper you can
then get some laquer thinner
then get 000 and 0000 steel wool
then get some paint brushes 1'' and 1.5''
then get a nylon brush
2'' masking tape the best you can find
gloves
container to keep it in
all this stuff will come out to 40 bucks.

here ya go steps
first tape off rim, use the edge you see on your rim. make sure the tape is on there good. apply some stripper with a brush on the rim. do one side at a time. when you apply it wait 15 minutes. while waiting start taping hte other rim. do one side of rim at a time. after 15 minutes the stripper should be lifting the paint. use the brush and dust off the old paint. redo that step. after that is done you should be almost bare clean. you will need to get thinner on 000 steel wool and work the little bit off. remove the tape and take your time and clean that edge up perfect. i used my finger nail after a point ot make it perfect. after that is done go over rim with a dry 000 then use 0000 on rim. after that hit it with mothers polish and wipe it down. use aersol glass cleaner to remove the residue. then go to next rim. then the other side of those rims. if you have trouble with your rim having some nasty shit on it that wont lift you will need a some scruff pads and alot of thinner. keep using this as sandpaper and remove the nasty stuff. hopefully you wont have to do that. on my 1kRR i had the front wheel done in an hour the rear rim had nasty shit on it and ti took 2 days to clean up. now on my wheels. the front is perfect and bling but the rear is duller then the front so this winter im going to wet sand them down. im only going with 800,1000,1200,1500,2000 then mothers. but if your not happy with the rims do this. see stock rims have little groves in them. they help for the paint to adhere. if you dont like them you need to do this. start with 80,120,250,320 then wet 400,600,800,1000,1200,1500, and 2000 you can go to 3000 but i stopped at 2000. the shine at 2000 is what is on the white bikes wheels. i hope that helps outs

·
vroom vroom
490 Posts
found some etuff at wal-mart called "dad's" automotive stripper. Find it in the paint area. Works great to remove paint from rims and frame. Just takes some time to work. Be careful not to get it on anything you dont want stripped or destroyed ( plastic)

·
Registered
279 Posts
also be careful about where u put it...it can eat throught the tape so be extra careful about the line where the paint stops.....tape if off extra good

·
Registered
483 Posts
Use aircraft stripper. You can pick it up at almost any hardware store. that stuff eats away paint. It will bubble in a matter of seconds. That stuff smoked the paint right off my rims.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts