Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
It changes the gearing ratio of the final drive, which is the sprockets and chain. By changing the gearing ratio you give the bike more torque (good for wheelies and stunting) or more top end and more refined throttle control (for uber-powerful bikes).

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
Personally I've never seen the point of changing the stock gearing. No doubt the factories mess about with the gearing when developing the bike, so the end product is pretty much the best for the power characteristics of the engine.

If you change the gearing for more top end then you'll lose on acceleration and if you change it for quicker acceleration then you lose on top end.

Whats the point with a modern sports bike. If you feel you have to change it then maybe you bought the wrong bike ?

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
in other words, for people that speak english, less teeth = slower acceleration, faster top speed, more teeth = faster acceleration, loss of stock top speed.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
bomma said:
Personally I've never seen the point of changing the stock gearing. No doubt the factories mess about with the gearing when developing the bike, so the end product is pretty much the best for the power characteristics of the engine.

If you change the gearing for more top end then you'll lose on acceleration and if you change it for quicker acceleration then you lose on top end.

Whats the point with a modern sports bike. If you feel you have to change it then maybe you bought the wrong bike ?
well your wrong about the best the factory can give the ratio they give you is a general setting to keep the bikes from goin to fast (government regulation) but still getting up and goin when you want but if you fine tune the gearing you will get much more out of your bike for whatever you are goin to use it for and just general riding

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
ZxHunteR said:
in other words, for people that speak english, less teeth = slower acceleration, faster top speed, more teeth = faster acceleration, loss of stock top speed.
I think it also depends on which sprocket you change as to the difference achieved.

Still a waste of time though. :)

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
bomma said:

IMO, 600SS's already have more topend than you'll ever need on the street, and more than you can regularly use. I've actually thought about adding more teeth to the rear/removing teeth from the front on my bike, because, frankly, the 170+ top speed on it is more than I can use, but I can almost always use faster acceleration.

Divide the number of teeth on the rear sprocket, by the number of teeth on the front sprocket. This is your multiplier. The b***** this number, the lower your top speed, but the 'more' acceleration the vehicle will have.

·
Registered
225 Posts
changing sprockets only makes a difference on bikes with less than... say 80 HP. anything higher on HP, why bother? you can power wheelie a gixxer-1K in 4th, do you really need fewer teeth. you can top out a gixxer-1K at 170+mph, do you really need less teeth?

·
Registered
706 Posts
bomma said:
I think it also depends on which sprocket you change as to the difference achieved.
True. Less teeth in the front will accelerate faster. I believe it is a general rule of thumb that 1 less tooth in the front is the same as 3 more teeth in the rear.

I have heard of many people who do track days at specific tracks gear there bikes to better suit that certain track.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Do whatever makes you happy. Most people like the extra acceleration rather than a ridiculous top speed.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Yet going down a bit in gear for faster take-off also leads to faster use of fuel. In other words your bike will eat up more fuel pr mile in a lower gearing.

Mind you no one seems to think about fuel milage though up in this part of Canada a gallon of petrol is a round figure of $4.44 pr gallon of only 87 octane AND will be going up just as it will in the States.

So why is Kwacker, Honda, & some private firms starting to produce prototype m/c motors for diesel fuel. Admittely it could mean sales to them when it comes to military demand for m/cs, but then many people start to panic when price of petrol starts to climb in North America.

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
I'm glad I changed the gearing on my old GSX-R600 (02). I never really went 160 mph, so at the expense of top speed I gained some acceleration. Made wheelies easier and all that good stuff. On a racebike, it's critical to make sure your gearing matches the type of track you are at. For instance, lower speed tracks you would sacrifice top speed for more power out of the turns.

·
Squidly McSquidster
559 Posts
i'd like to see a gixxer power wheelie in 4th. maybe with nitrous

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
try&keepup said:
i'd like to see a gixxer power wheelie in 4th. maybe with nitrous
Maybe someone who was really good who gave it a monster bounce???

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
jon341427 said:
what does changing the number of teeth on the rear and front sprocket accomplish if anything at all?
I had a few friends who ride tell me that will also help w/ the speed margin error (or hurt for that matter). Most speedos can have a 12 or 15% error margin. Changing the gearing can make indicated more accurate to actual road speed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I just swapped out the front sprocket on my 929 for a 15. That's -1 from stock. It has made a WORLD of difference in terms of launch and exit speeds from corners. There is no way the stock set up on that bike is right. The stock set up must be designed to limit performance.

·
Registered
402 Posts
velo12 said:
I just swapped out the front sprocket on my 929 for a 15. That's -1 from stock. It has made a WORLD of difference in terms of launch and exit speeds from corners. There is no way the stock set up on that bike is right. The stock set up must be designed to limit performance.

Of course it is. . . Just like there is a timing retardation feature in the first couple gears. By doing so they make it less likely for the n00b who just purchased his brand new Kawahonzukaha 1500, to loop it pulling out of the dealer lot. And even when it DOES happen they can say, "Look, we tried to make it stupid proof!"

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Gearing a bike lower does not always mean it will have less top end. How many bikes on the market today will redline in 6th gear?

With my RC51 geared 15/41, which is -1 front and +1 on the rear, I'm still slipping the clutch until about 15-20mph. I ride with cruisers a lot, mainly shadow 750's, and a Marauder 800, and if we are in town, many times they are shifting into 2nd just after I fully let out the clutch in 1st from a stoplight.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts