Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to attempt one of the headlight mods posted in this forum. I know I read something about doing the pod lights (little lights in the corners of the fairing that are on the Euro model but not on the NA one) but I can't find the thread. What parts do I need to buy? (I'm not planning on removing the stock signals) Any suggestions?

·
Registered
78 Posts
What type of lights are you looking to put in the markers?

I put blue LEDs in mine. I picked up a set of Varad Hyperled iLKS which handle all the resistors and such to make them run on 12volt systems. Drill out the back of the socket to the size of the led and shove it in there. Then I ran a wire off my front marker lights to them and put a switch inline so I can shut them off. They are not very visable during the day but at night they give a nice blue glow to the front of the bike.

Also does anyone know where to get bright Pink LEDs? FZ6Girl wants to put some in the front of her bike but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
exciter99, where did you get the LED's? I was contemplating doing the other mod, repositioning the stock front marker lights in the pod, but after seeing how yours looks, I'm not so sure :D.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I picked mine up at SoundFX but that is just a local car audio/mod shop. I did a seach on shopping.yahoo and found them at cardomain.com Varad ILK Blue LED They come in a few colors so you could keep it creative. I am thinking of finding some way to set it up so I can put some form of high intensity beam in the light socket and have a switch with the LED perhaps comming in at an angle so I can either get extra headlight assistance or a cool blue glow.

I am all set with removing the stock blinker/marker setup. I still want all the visability I can have. I don't like to give cagers any extra excuse not to see me. :twofinger

Anyone having any luck on those pinks? :leghump

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a little help from across the pond?

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about a higher intensity beam rather than an LED for visibility. The LED's look great though. Decisions decisions.....

Maybe one of the European members of this forum could help me out by telling me what kind of (pod) lights come with their FZ6's? Just to give me a a good starting point for size. What kind of reflectors are they housed in? I've got no experience with this sort of thing so any info is appreciated. :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Anyone try to put really bright LEDs in the pods to replace the stock turn signals? According to Oregon law you can use either white or amber for turn signals in front. I think this would be a great looking mod as long as they are still functionally visible.

·
Registered
853 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
calzor suzay said:
I'm in the UK, it's standard fitment here...
Is there a way for us across the pond to get them?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
crazymofo,

The bulb socket is just the socket from the 2003 R1 headlight. Not sure if it's the same in any other year so I just ordered the 03 model part. It uses 194 type bulbs, you can either get those in LED or regular buld. I think it cost me about $15 for 2 sockets which isn't that bad.
You need to drill the opening though. Start in the middle of the area where the socket will slide into with a small drill bit (there may be a little nipple of plastic right in the middle you can use as a marker) and slowely work your way up in size. The last size bit you need is a 1/2" bit .... but then you will still need to drill the hole a little b***** by rubbin the bit along the hole in a circle motion. You'll also want to use a pen knife to cut off any burs and stuff to make sure everything is smooth. Keep trying the fit the socket into the hole as you do this so you don't make the hole too big.

Yamaha Part Numbers;

5PW-84312-00-00 HOLDER, SOCKET

4SV-84347-00-00 BULB (12V-5W) ( 194 type bulb, you can get this at any auto store )

http://www.sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/headlight-mod.html

·
Registered
853 Posts
greatzippy said:
crazymofo,

The bulb socket is just the socket from the 2003 R1 headlight. Not sure if it's the same in any other year so I just ordered the 03 model part. It uses 194 type bulbs, you can either get those in LED or regular buld. I think it cost me about $15 for 2 sockets which isn't that bad.
You need to drill the opening though. Start in the middle of the area where the socket will slide into with a small drill bit (there may be a little nipple of plastic right in the middle you can use as a marker) and slowely work your way up in size. The last size bit you need is a 1/2" bit .... but then you will still need to drill the hole a little b***** by rubbin the bit along the hole in a circle motion. You'll also want to use a pen knife to cut off any burs and stuff to make sure everything is smooth. Keep trying the fit the socket into the hole as you do this so you don't make the hole too big.

Yamaha Part Numbers;

5PW-84312-00-00 HOLDER, SOCKET

4SV-84347-00-00 BULB (12V-5W) ( 194 type bulb, you can get this at any auto store )

http://www.sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/headlight-mod.html
Thanks a lot zippy, this will be a big help. Are you wiring it up to act as turn signals or just markers?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I just wired it up as marker/running/accent lights. Since the LED signals I have don't work as markers (only 2 wires, blinkers only) I just tapped the pod lights into the POS wire for the front runners and the NEG. The singals use the blinker and neg off the same connector.
Since I have the LED signals I didn't want to use yellow/amber in the pod lights cause someone would probably get confused since they don't blink with the signals ..... we are dealing with NJ drivers here ya know :D
And red was out as well for the front of the bike ..... again, NJ drivers :hshot
So I decided on Blue LEDs on a silver bike .... looks pretty good actually. I got a 194 LED buld that has 6 LEDs in it so it's pretty bright .... especially at night. Plus the area where the pod lights go is kinda small so using LEDs is a little better cause they don't give off heat like a normal bulb would ..... and they draw less amps (and probably watts) then a bulb.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've done the headlight mod and I love it! It's scary cutting into my baby like that but it was pretty simple and definetly worth it. The finished product looks stock and way better IMHO.:dblthumb

Now for the pod's. Thanks for the info here so far. Is anyone using Luxeon Star LEDs? As far as I know, their 5 watt bulb is the brightest one available and it comes in a variety of colors. They're a bit pricey but will probably look great (if they fit, that is). If it works, I'll definetly post pics...

http://www.lumileds.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=2

http://www.luxeonstar.com/sub_category.php?id=201&link_str=199::201

1 - 15 of 15 Posts