Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the Hawaiian government gets their way it looks like they will. They are even meeting in a special session to find ways to ban them all together :eek:

http://www.kgmb9.com/local/show_news.php?show_n_id=3080&clean=1

Mini-Motorcycles On The Move
Dateline: August 23, 2004 - Rob Young

(KGMB) : One of the newest fads to hit Hawaii has some people furious. Mini-motorcycles or pocket bikes are popping up all over the islands and some say they're an accident waiting to happen.

Pocket bikes aren't street legal. So riders are taking them to Hawaii's parks and parking lots. Although they're little riders say the bikes are loads of fun and Oahu teens and adults are making a mad dash to buy them up.

"We got into it because in the last 2-3 months we've been getting 3-5 phone calls a day...people asking if we have the bikes in or the safety gear for them," says Jason Baba, owner of Mililani's Bike Werx.

Friday Baba's shop got its first five bikes. Already they're in demand. Even at $500 or more per bike, it's a price teens like Nainoa Heffernan are willing to pay.

"Me and my uncle went to Waipio and it looked like pretty fun, so we got 'em about a week after," says Heffernan.

Heffernan's friends are also buying bikes of their own and until now they haven't been disappointed. As quickly as pocket bikes roared into park parking lots, they've rubbed park users the wrong way.

"They're running around, they're making noise, they're darting in and out of traffic, they're running around the parking lots and the bottom line is they're very hard to see," says Central Oahu Regional Park Advisory Committee member Marty Burke.

Central Oahu Regional Park's parking lot has been a pocket bike paradise. But now the city's marked it off limits because of public safety concerns.

"Our parking lots are full on the weekends," says District 5 Park Manager Glenn Kajiwara. "We have softball tournaments and baseball tournaments...it's just so congested we're afraid something's going to happen and that's what we're trying to prevent."

Without parks to cruise riders like Heffernan are wheeling around elsewhere...like city sidewalks and streets. Something city and state transportation officials are so worried about they've scheduled a transportation summit. The meeting is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, August 24th at the Neal Blaisdell Center.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, saw that on the news last night. Didn't they have the same complaints about(and eventually ban) those gas powered scooters too?

The media has a point, though. It's only a matter of time before a kid gets creamed while doing laps in a crowded parking lot or the street in front of their house because a car didn't see them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Serves them right for doing stupid shit in the street. They do look like fun though. Oh well I dont have one so I guess I wont be missing out on much. Even if they ban them people are still going to use them. Like the gas powered scooters.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The should be banned on the street or in crowded parking lots and on sidewalks... they are fun to ride around but those aren't the places to do it... find a track or something to ride them at... (I know... easier said then done though...but they still have no place in the street/sidewalks/parking lots)

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were showing a guy driving around a crowded parking lot during the day. He was being an SUV and you couldn't see him at all.

Only takes one to ruin it for everyone else

·
Registered
205 Posts
There was a good midweek article a week and half ago about them. A LITTLE GIRL DID GET hurt . she was hit by an SUV while she was riding on the STREET.

These things should be outalwed, and only usable on the track where they belong.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
yup. they are creating a major headache for all the vehicle govorning bodies. they are somewhat street legal w/ lights and mirrors. but they have no VIN # nor licensing, and lil kids are getting hurt cuz they're parents are too stupid to buy them helmets or watch over them.........

the end is near for them.......

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
i just don't get it... if they ban pocketbikes, i want all scooters banned too.
--I'll back that piece of legislation. They are toys, not vehicles. They have no place on the street except as annoyances. They should not be legal for street use anymore than a Honda CRF 50 is legal.
fun, sure I guess. I never got the mini bike thing for adults. I bought one (the electric kind) for my 4 year old. Don't see why a 24 year old would want one. Just doesn't do anything for me personally. Like humping a midget. I guess it's cool if that's what you're into.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Here's the little squid with no sleeves. I thinki she'll survive the photo session though.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also back the legislation.The solly lama says he doesnt see why adults would like them. For one these things are fun and fast for there size mine goes about 40 mph.But they are not for the road non the less. They make a great pit bike for the drag races. I use mine all the time to go from my trailer to the bathroom, consesions and so.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well, they're already are illegal to ride on the street. Outlawing them would mean not allowing you to own one, correct? They should be limited to private property use, mainly race tracks. (go cart tracks should be making a killing off this)

I will have one in the next two mos. It is the only avenue (read: cheapest) I have to do any kind of racing, for now. There is a group that rents out a local high speed go-cart track every week. Hopefully I'll be faster than my boys. :twofinger

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
No, outlawing them would not allow people to ride them on public right of ways (ie sidewalks, streets). Right now, there is no law that says we can't (really, its that ambiguous) to the fact taht hte gasoline power scooter required a special session for our lawmakers to address (they are allowed on the public right of ways, if the "seat" is attached to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts