Sport Bikes banner

"Plug" on front side of rear hugger...

971 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Heavy FZ6 
#1 ·
Well, I installed my TCP painted hugger this afternoon, in the process I ran into a few kinks... namely, the bolts on the chain side of the bike weren't long enough to thread through the new painted hugger. Luckily, the leftover bolts from my install of the FE kit let me get it on, but I found it a bit strange that I might have been pretty stuck if it wasn't for Mike in a totally unrelated situation. :p

The other thing that kind of bothers me a bit is the "plug" that sits at the front center of the hugger... there was no way to get it out, other than to pop it out by pulling up on the hugger... when it popped, the plug that was in there flew somewhere into oblivion not to be found ... so that hole is now empty.

I was just wondering, in my opinion it seems like an unnecessary fastener, but what do you guys think, should I get it replaced?

And don't worry, tomorrow I'm installing my lower chin fairing and after that goes on (hopefully with no missing fasteners...) I *will* be taking pics and posting them.

#2 ·
You need it or your bike will lock-up and you will crash......

[just fu@#in' with ya..... ]

#3 ·
Binary Jay said:
Well, I installed my TCP painted hugger this afternoon, in the process I ran into a few kinks... namely, the bolts on the chain side of the bike weren't long enough to thread through the new painted hugger. Luckily, the leftover bolts from my install of the FE kit let me get it on, but I found it a bit strange that I might have been pretty stuck if it wasn't for Mike in a totally unrelated situation. :p

The other thing that kind of bothers me a bit is the "plug" that sits at the front center of the hugger... there was no way to get it out, other than to pop it out by pulling up on the hugger... when it popped, the plug that was in there flew somewhere into oblivion not to be found ... so that hole is now empty.

I was just wondering, in my opinion it seems like an unnecessary fastener, but what do you guys think, should I get it replaced?

And don't worry, tomorrow I'm installing my lower chin fairing and after that goes on (hopefully with no missing fasteners...) I *will* be taking pics and posting them.
You are probably okay without it, i found the best way to take out those type of fasteners is to push the center pin in with a nail or something small them it just pops out, If you want to try and get a replacement that may work goto a automotive store and look around there fastener nuts and bolts aisle they have fasteners that are real similar that they use on cars for there door and trunk panels and will probably work too.

#4 ·
I took mine out with an interior door panel removing tool. Its a little flat tool with a grove in the middle and an arch in the stem of the tool made just for those kind of rivets. Worked like a charm. And I never have put it back in. I decided that I like to take the hugger off when I'm cleaning the bike since the chain lube I use is so nasty. Because of that, I thought it would be nicer not to have to mess with it again.

#5 ·
After 2 days of spirited riding, I haven't noticed anything that would lead me to believe I need it... the hugger had rubber grommets, so I tightened the jeebus out of each of the 4 bolts that hold it to the swingarm.

There was really no way to push the pin out from the bottom with a pin, as the bottom is solid metal. :) I just don't like seeing "holes" on things where fasteners should be, but hey, I think I can agree that it's not a mandatory one.

#7 ·
Smart ass. :beer :)

#9 ·
This should probably go in the FAQ, too. "How do I get that little fastener off the front of the hugger?"

Like WTVa mentioned, there's a pin in the center of the plug. From the top (not the bottom), just push down on the center of the plug. The center will pop down and release the plug. It seems a little odd, since you're pushing the center of the plug down, then pulling up on the plug, but it works.

#10 ·
I should have asked before I just manhandled it off... lol

Oh well, it's gone now... anybody have a spare? :)

#12 ·
Ah cool, I was looking for that fiche and couldn't find it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.