Sport Bikes banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks guys, you were a great help !

I pulled out the ram air ducts because i knew they were going to be a pain. I have to say, it was pretty painless all in all.. I'd say if you can read this thread, you could have been done by now.. haha.. Seriously, compared to changing my plugs in my Astro van, this is a walk in the park..

-=< Aaron >=-

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I did my plugs twice today... Yep twice.. I got them all done and went for a ride. Everything ran great and I started thinking about the job and realized I forgot to use the anti-seize. So I ended up doing the whole job over.. Point of the story is to think about what you are doing so you don't have to do it again.

·
5,547 Posts
I did my plugs twice today... Yep twice.. I got them all done and went for a ride. Everything ran great and I started thinking about the job and realized I forgot to use the anti-seize. So I ended up doing the whole job over.. Point of the story is to think about what you are doing so you don't have to do it again.

Classic! :laugh:laugh:laugh

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks guys, you were a great help !

I pulled out the ram air ducts because i knew they were going to be a pain. -=< Aaron >=-

How did you pull out the ram air ducts? I'd like to make 1 & 4 as simple as possible? I've never messed withthe ram air befoe so I'm in the dark as to pulling them out...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another Tip

I just finished this job and my tip to add to this is to get the Socket from the Tool kit. If you do not have it, order it.

I did mine with a regular socket and a few different extensions because My bike was down and I couldnt stand to watch her sit while i waited on the tool to come in. So it can be done.

I had to grind my normal sockt down so the walls were thin enough to fit around the spark plug.
A 6" extension attached to that socket fit fine down to get the 2 & 3 plug loose, but it didnt work for 1 & 4.

For those two plugs I had to slide the socket down the cylinder by itself, then put the extension in the cylinder and attache it to the socket that was already in the cylinder because together they were hitting the part of the fraim where the ram air ducts come out of, preventing it from going down the cylinder.

After i loosened those plugs i had to pull up on the extension as far as i could and use a screw driver to push the socket off of the extension just so i could get the extension out of the cylinder.

Then I pushed a shorter extension down the cylinder to attach to the socket and used a pair of needle nose plyers to grab that extension and pull it out of the cylinder with the socket.

And like another person noted, a regualr plug socket may not hold the plug cuz they are a little small. So i just used the black electrode thing that you originally pulled out of the cylinder to grab the plug and pull it out. If you have a magnet tool that would work too.

To put the new 1 & 4 plugs back in I did it the same way in reverse. Slid the plug down the cylinder. Slid the socket in behind it. Put the long extension in next and tightened it up. Pulled the extension up and pushed the socket off of it so that I could pull the extension out.....or else you get stuck on the ram air part of the frame. Put a smaller extension down the cylinder and attached it to the socket, then used plyers to pull the socket up.

:bangdesk Seems like a lot of extra crap that the original socket could have saved me from.
But at the end of the day i was riding off into the sunset on my iron steed lol :horse

Some of you may be thinking, "why didnt you just use the shorter extension to tighten and loosen the plugs". Well it was not quite long enough to stick out of the cylinder.

All in all its not that tough of a job. Not having the correct tool probably cost me about 30 more mintues to get it done, but it got done. I highly suggest getting the socket that goes with the tool kit for the bike though. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys

I`m in the middle of getting this done and have a question.

For some reason, I don`t feel like the igniters are going back down all the way.

I can`t remember how far they went down before I took them out but something tells me they`re suppose to go down further.

I can`t push them down anymore than seen in the pic. Are these are far as they`re suppose to go or what am I missingÉ

·
5,547 Posts
Hey guys

I`m in the middle of getting this done and have a question.

For some reason, I don`t feel like the igniters are going back down all the way.

I can`t remember how far they went down before I took them out but something tells me they`re suppose to go down further.

I can`t push them down anymore than seen in the pic. Are these are far as they`re suppose to go or what am I missingÉ

Yep you have to push them down further until they are seated. When you aren't sure about something the old cellphone camera can get you out of a jam if you remember to take pics before you take things apart next time. Check out the pics in this thread for the KCA removal. Notice how far seated the igniters are in the pics.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/zzr-mods/413395-how-remove-kca-valve.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok well thats disappointing i tried for 45 min trying to get them down further and even vice-gripped the igniters and hammered them lightly. THEY WONT GO DOWN. Arghh so fustrating working on this bike

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok maybe im not turning the plugs in far enough. Im using the iridiums CR9EIX. My rule of thumb is hand tighten all the way and give another half turn with a wrench. Can they go down further?

·
5,547 Posts
Ok well thats disappointing i tried for 45 min trying to get them down further and even vice-gripped the igniters and hammered them lightly. THEY WONT GO DOWN. Arghh so fustrating working on this bike
"THIS BIKE" is one of the easiest bikes to work on. Are you sure that you have the right spark plugs? Are you sure the boot on the igniter is properly lined up with tip of the spark plug. Don't use a hammer your going to break something and then you will be pissed.

·
5,547 Posts
You have to insure the plugs are properly seated, otherwise the boots will not go down all the way. You should be able to push the boot down with your thumb.

The service manual states 113 inch/pounds for the spark plugs. NOT FOOT POUNDS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK dumb post on my part, took out the plugs to see why the igniter wouldnt seat on them and realized I never took off those little metal couplers that screw on to the ends. Never realized you had to take them off. Problem solved, thanks for ur help!

·
5,547 Posts
OK dumb post on my part, took out the plugs to see why the igniter wouldnt seat on them and realized I never took off those little metal couplers that screw on to the ends. Never realized you had to take them off. Problem solved, thanks for ur help!
Hahahahaha:)

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Most spark plugs do not even come with those these days. My NGKs just came with the threaded posts, that I suppose are for screwing on the ends if you need them. I did not have to take anything off the NGK Iridiums I bought from Ebay...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts