Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that since the new "Squidfree" SBN DC area forum has been reintroduced that the thread about "The Truth about Katies Accident" has received twice as many views as any other thread. And the thread it has twice as many views as ii the original thread about Katies accident which in turn has twice as many views as the next often viewed thread. I guess most people are more interested in death than anything else. When a new rider posts looking for advice they may get 10 people to read their thread and maybe 5 to respond. But let someone post about a crash, injuries or death and people flock to it like vultures to carrion. We all, every single fucking one us, should be ashamed of ourselves. Do not give me this bullshit about how much she meant to everyone because I know that many people did not think the world of Katie. I have seen derogatory comments posted in this very forum about her in the past. Is this what our society has been reduced to? I am not posting this to bash anyone specifically but I am sure those that fall into this category already know who they are. I am just curious to what everyone elses feelings are in light of this situation.

·
How about them Redskins?
2,418 Posts
I see your point, I think Death is an attention grabber, Period. No one can drive by a car accident and not look. Its human nature.

As far as the numbers go, I do see that pattern you talk about. I also think alot of traffic is comming in to read and post in as far as I know, the last thread about this that hasn't been closed, or deleted. Some of the other sites are run like a communist nation, with posts and threads being censored and deleted. Some are run like a democracy, such as here and for the most part CF. Here on SBN we don't delete posts we dont agree with, and feel free to check out our forum rules. It is very specific about this.

I can't find a similar post about Katies death on .net or .com and the one on CF has been closed, so I am guessing that the big numbers of views= people still are hunting for information, gossip or whatever.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
:spank We should be assamed of being so damn interested in crashing & death. It is death that keeps us alive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To be honest with you Ken I think its just this board. There aren't a lot of new topics or a lot of new local members coming to here anymore. Everyone has pretty much been run off to different boards, which in my opinion is pretty sad. I've been on this board since 2000 and I have seen a lot of people come and go, but it seems that lately people are mostly leaving and not coming. This has become a board for a select few and I just don't feel that new riders or even older riders feel welcomed here anymore.

Kinda sad but perhaps things can and will change...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
RRonin, anyone is more than welcome here. MORE than welcome.

The thing is, there aren't any BS sections. This is it. Either you come here to ride or you go somewhere else to BS. It seems people like to BS more than ride, IMO.

Shit, maybe people don't come here any more because their are only a few of us and we aren't the "cool" crowd to them. Our post are to the point. Most of us wear full-gear and do looooong rides. Plus, I'm the only one who does the wheelies on our rides (very few though :) ).

Every ride I've been on since the new SBN has been some of the best group rides I've seen. I'd say 300 miles is the average and never an exact repeat of a previous ride. Matter of fact, rides weren't even posted on SBN before. The old members were too afraid of who was going to show up and would even exclude the safe, good riders they didn't know. They actually still do.

Old members have made the decision themselves as to if they post here or not. Nobody pushed them away but themselves. (unless any of them would like to comment why) You are posting here and you are more than welcome on any ride. So are they. But, IMO, I *think* a lot of old members think they are too good to ride with this group or they think we are unsafe. Whatever the reason, it was their decision to go away. I'm glad you are still around here though. I've heard nothing but good things about you and your riding. Hopefully you'll join us or post and lead your own ride here!

Hopefully people will start flowing back here in time. Nothing is stopping them from posting and joining in. Everyone here is friendly and safe riders. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Welcome back Tony! You doing any track days this year?

Speaking of group rides, anyone up for a ride this weekend? I'll post sometime up in the Group ride spot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This board has become a riders board which is awesome! VVV I haven't had a chance to hook up with you guys yet but I look forward to riding with you guys. I'll keep an eye out for the next ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think a lot of people went away, and this place is perceived (right or wrong) to be dcsquid.net light... a bunch of squids. Will they come back ? Don't know. It was dead here forever.

I'm not convinced, but I'm a cranky old bastard. I would imagine the ride pace on the average SBN ride is waaaay above what I deem safe, respectable, and prudent.

I could be wrong...

Barry

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Barry said:
I'm not convinced, but I'm a cranky old bastard. I would imagine the ride pace on the average SBN ride is waaaay above what I deem safe, respectable, and prudent.

I could be wrong...

Barry

You know whats funny. I went on one ride with USroadscholar, BurnCycle SoulRider and others, and that was the FASTEST ride I've ever been on. They didn't slow down because there were newbies on the ride or people who didn't know the route. I had a great time though doing my own pace a notch in pace below them.

Our pace is way under what they were doing.

You're cranky and wrong.

Philip

(young, cranky & right)

·
Registered
153 Posts
V V V said:
You know whats funny. I went on one ride with USroadscholar, BurnCycle SoulRider and others, and that was the FASTEST ride I've ever been on.

I'm still trying to find those damn switch backs they took us on....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't say they (or anyone else) was fast, slow, safe, unsafe. I made a generic comment.

FWIW, I know when I ride with Bill (I don't ride with the others much, if ever) the pace is very, VERY relaxed. I would wager that when Bill, Jay, Bernie, etc. get together the pace goes beyond what I would like. But, I can ride my own ride.

Other than my very, very, very first ride with that group, I've never been left, and everyone is caught up when a turn is made.

It's my opinion, and again, I could be wrong, that many of the "fast guys" from before are still around. I don't imagine a lot of guys in full leather on supersports riding a slow, sedate pace. Which is why this is about my 5th post in a year.

To each their own. I imagine beyond any harsh feelings, people have gravitated to sites where they have found like minded folks. Period.

Barry

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Barry said:
I don't imagine a lot of guys in full leather on supersports riding a slow, sedate pace.

Barry
I could say the same for a bunch of BMW riders in Aerostich. :twofinger Cause I've NEVER seen a BWM rider go slow. I was passed by a group of BMW riders at the gap like I was standing still.

AM I WRONG?? Didn't think so.

The biggest pricks I've seen have been BMW riders. Also some of the fastest and dumbest on the street btw.... Too each their own. (right back at ya! ;) )

I'm shocked how once you sold your super sport you've gone completely hateful toward sportbikers you don't know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm - I'm not hateful - I'm categorizing a group of riders. IN GENERAL... read that again, and I'm sure you being a smart guy will admit that IN GENERAL sportbikers are likely to ride in a fast, unsafe manner. Period. I would argue the majority of crashes and speeding tickets go to sportbike riders, not your average Goldwing or Cruiser rider.

It's the nature of who's riding what. Typically young men. And young men are not known for making the best decisions regarding safety and responsibility. I know, I did stupid stuff on a sportbike when I was 20, 20 years ago. THANKFULLY I outlived my stupidity. Even then, I was the most conservative rider out of all the sportbike riders I knew. Why? Cause I wanna' ride another day.

If you perceive me as hating sportbikes, ask some of the sportbike riders that I continue to log hundreds of miles with if they perceive me as hateful. I've simply moved on, and changed my opinion. Ex-sportbikers are likely worse than ex-smokers. Be ready for more of the same.

cheers,
Barry

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Barry said:
If you perceive me as hating sportbikes, ask some of the sportbike riders that I continue to log hundreds of miles with if they perceive me as hateful.

cheers,
Barry
I perceive you as hating anyone with a sportbike you don't know. With a good reason too though as I spit and curse when I see idiots on them too. But I realize that there are people out there responsible and sane riding on them too and do not generalize everyone in full-leathers.

But.. I'll say this again. BMW riders are the biggest pricks/squids I've seen on bikes. They wear their full-waterproofed-gear and all but they don't fool me, I know they are just as squidly as any street knee dragger. I've witnessed it countless times out in West Virginia every weekend. Seen them crash more than I have sportbikes. Yep, it's true.

KRS12Steve who use to post here (now on adv) is an exception. He's a nice guy not a prick, but still a damn squid!! :lol

I think it's too ironic the choice of your bike and not how you ride it is how riders are classified by veteran motorcyclists. It's a shame.

You'll believe people here are squids no matter what. I'm sure you'll never ride with me or anyone else here so there is no point in trying to change your view.

Every time I see a BMW squid out in the WV mountains, I'll think of you Barry!

:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hahaha... I do ride with people on SBN. Just not a lot of them. And yes, I generally say if you are on a sportbike, you are probably riding fast. Period. OR, you are posing and don't need the sportbike. Amazingly I was actually arguing that with Mikelly yesterday.

As for type of bike leading to a generalization of the riders mindset, ability, and attitude, I (and the insurance industry) stand behind that. Is it a 100% clear indicator of the rider, no... but it's a indicator just the same.

Oh - just where are you seeing all the BMW riders crashing and displaying poor skills? You seem as much, or more, biased as I am, but with much less valid reason I'd wager.

Barry

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Barry said:
Oh - just where are you seeing all the BMW riders crashing and displaying poor skills? You seem as much, or more, biased as I am, but with much less valid reason I'd wager.

Barry
Like I said, West Virginia is where I see them. I do live there and do all my riding there. I see them using poor judgement more than anything. Passing on blind curves, grinding parts and overall just being an ass. I've only seen a few that use their heads and those are the guys I stop and talk to.

After reading a few of my post above I see that I came across as cranky as you usually do but I'm tired of the stereotype of this board. I bet you could count on one hand how many tickets AND crashes this group has had in all of our riding since we started. That in itself speaks volumes to me.

You do realize that most of us own our own homes, work and have or starting a family soon? We are grown up responsible people. I think I'm the youngest at 25. We all have too much to lose to go blazing around on the streets. That's why most of us do TD's.

Enough bitching from me, I'm done.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I liken Barry to be "Born Again". Now that "HE" Doesn't own a sportbike, no one should. Why? In Barry's words to me: "If you own a sportbike and you aren't riding it as it was designed, then you are a poser. If you are riding it as designed, then you shouldn't be riding it on the street"

The tag on my truck reads NOPOSERS. Guess which one I was until about three months ago?

Hmmm... Back on topic, ROnin and Ken, I've ridden with both of you ONCE. Ronin almost got to see me die on my first sportbike ride in a group in several years, and on a bike I was totally unfamiliar with and not set up for my weight/ style of riding. Ken, Our ride was one of the best I've had in a small group in a while.

I think all the hateful shit I and other spewed forth was what drove a lot of folks away. I was at one of the worst places in my life, and had a bunch of strangers ganging up and provoking a lot of shit just to see me type more hateful and dumb text... Oh well. This place was lawless and unregulated. I'm told it has changed, and because of that, and the fact that I can't seem to get rid of my F'ing bike, I'll probably be back here more often. Other than here and NESBA, I have no need for Sportbike or Motorcycle websites... By and large most of the folks exibit conduct I have no need to be around.

My story and I'm sticking to it.
Mike

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Mikelly said:
"If you own a sportbike and you aren't riding it as it was designed, then you are a poser. If you are riding it as designed, then you shouldn't be riding it on the street"
That's a new one to me. So I'm suppose to go buy a cruiser or BMW to do my 500+ mile rides now? Or when I go on a week ride down south and back? Go buy a dirt bike to follow the cool dirt road that follows that cool river? I don't think so. I ride my sportbike like most Adventure riders ride their bike. I'll go just about anywhere on it. Is that being a poser?

I like riding my sportbike on roads that are not perfect, as long as they twist, I'll ride it. I LOVE riding down dirt roads on my sportbike to see where they lead to. My bike is used for more than just railing. Others buy 2-4 different bikes for different occasions when I use one for all of them. No I cannot go riding off road too far but I promise you I can ride my bike just about anywhere else and have done it too.

I grew up on dirt bikes and that's kinda how I ride my sportbike. I'm not blessed with the mula to purchase multiple bikes (dirtbike) at the moment. So I do what I can with what I got.

Poser huh? I think that bothers me more than the squid comments. :a2 :twofinger

btw: I don't take anyone on the dirtroads during group rides. Don't think anyone would ride with me again if I did!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some would call me a squid because I do the occasional wheelie. Others would call me that because I do occasionally put a knee down on the street (I know, I know I am crazy for doing that......whatever).

But I can quarantee that every ride I go on I will ride at a pace that I am always 100% comfortable with. If I am not comfortable I will back it down. And if whomever I am following doesn't want to wait for me then I probably won't ride with them again.

It cracks me up that some believe you can judge a rider simply because of the type of bike they ride. I prefer to put some miles in with someone before I judge them. I ride with many different types of riders who ride many different types of equipment. And believe me just because you ride a lot of miles does not make you a "better" rider. It cannot hurt because the more hours you ride the more you are going to experience.

I have been called a poser because I will generally wear out the center of my rear tire first. Thats unfortunately due to hitting 29 to get back and forth to work instead of driving the cage 95% of the time. The same people who make these comments have never once taken me up on hitting the back roads or taking it to the track so I do not value their opinion of my riding much.

So does any of the things I listed above make any of us "better" than the other. I have ridden with Barry and we have always had a good time. He is one guy that if he has the time, call him up, he will ride whether street or dirt it matters not. Like Mike said we got to ride one time together and it was a blast. Most others on here I have never ridden with. But I am sure I will and then I will tell you if you are a squid or not. I have ridden quite a bit with Jay and Bill. Never once did we ride over anyones head. But that is a subjective thing as well. Jay and I will usually ride faster through corners than we will the straights.

But of course none of this matters because I ride a sportbike on the street so therefore I must be a poser!!! :twofinger all for Barry!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts