Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the part of gear I've been neglecting so far. I've leather pants that I use only for spirited canyon rides but are just to clumsy for regular commute. I heard Tourmaster and First Gear are the recommended brands. I did a search and saw a few options but I'd rather ask directly to our trusty FZ6 crowd.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I use Tourmaster Venture mesh as overpants on my work commute. It has rigid armor in the knees, foam in the hips, and reinforced panels in a lot of places. It has reflective stripes along the legs. It comes with two inner linings a windbreaker-like lining and a thermal lining. This past winter, I zipped both linings into place and was much warmer than previous years. Pretty cheap from NewEnough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been very happy with the FirstGear overpants thus far. I can't say that I have ton of experience, but they are comfortable and slip right on over shorts or pants that I am wearing at the time, making them a good choice for commuters who need nicer pants at work.

Knee protection seems good. I won't say great, but that wasn't the expectation.

They breathe well and are cool enough on hot days once the inner wind/weahter liner is removed. I have not worn them in the rain so I cannot verify the resiliancy in wet weather. My guess is that they would be fine in mild rain, but might get wet/heavy in heavier weather.

Overall, I'm very pleased. Hope this helps. :cheers

-P

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
I have some FieldSheer textile pants (waterproof, CE armor in knees and hip) that were cheap and have been great.

My only beef with textile pants: Slippery against the tank. You had better install stomp grips or similar, or you can't grip the tank with your legs worth a darn.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
TourMaster Venture textile overpants - zip out flannel lining, permanent wind/water proof lining. Breathes well even on hot days. Armor in knees, pads in hips, reinforced in hip area sticks to seat better.

TourMaster Sabre textile jacket same features - armor in shoulders, elbows, w/ foam back pad. 3/4 cut.

I can ride in the textile stuff down to about freezing then I switch to a polar one piece suit.

Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket. Armor in arms & shoulders. Foam back pad.
Excellent for summer spring summer fall temps down to upper 50's or so.
Like them all very much.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Don't mind me barging in - I mess around with riding gear all the time and thought I could share. There are two pairs of overpants that I'd recommend: Fieldsheer Four Season Mesh Pants and the Olympia Airglide 2 Pants.

I wear the Olympia Airglide 2 pants for my daily commute and couldn't be more satisfied. For safety, they are constructed of 500 Denier Cordura, include CE Knee protection and a memory foam sort of hip protection. The knee armor is adjustable so you can position it right. For comfort, the outer shell has two large mesh panels on either leg - one at each thigh, one at each shin. They flow plenty of air during the summer. However, when it's rainy or just cold out, there's a waterproof thermal liner that you can install. I've worn them north of 105 degrees and down to about 50 or so.

The Fieldsheer pants are essentially copies of the Olympias made with different materials to hit a lower price point. They're very well made and I nearly picked 'em up to save a few bucks, but a few things swayed my decision. As far as textiles go, Cordura is the best out there for abrasion resistance - only the Olympias use that in this price range. The liner in the Olympias provides better rain protection, since they also have the waterproof-style zippers on the legs. Also, just the general construction of the Olympias is a step above.

I didn't look at Firstgear's options seriously because of the build quality and the materials used. I stay away from manufacturers that use no-name materials like "Hypertex" as those are generally advertising junk with no real evidence of their protective qualities. That's not to say they won't do the job as well as something else, just that I can find many references to the quality of Cordura and that gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm not a fan of overpants personally. I wear Tour Master Quest Textile pants most the time. They get a bit warm, and the swishing noise gets old, but at least I don't have to worry about finding a place to stash them throughout the day. Great price for armored pants.. decent construction. Read the review here:

Tour Master Quest Pants

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have Draggin jeans and Scorpion Duece Textile Pant , the latest issue of sport rider shows results of the scorpion pants in a crash. No roadrash. The draggin jeans have video on their website.

Both are comfortable and both have armor.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Tourmaster makes not only great luggage but awesome gear too. That draggin jeans got me thinking into buying one for me and my fiance.

So far I have narrowed down to these since I am a cheap guy :twofinger

Draggin Jeans
Tour Master Venture Textile Motorcycle Overpants :: New Enough, LTD
Tour Master Caliber Textile Motorcycle Overpants :: New Enough, LTD
Joe Rocket Alter Ego Textile/Mesh Motorcycle Overpants :: New Enough, LTD
Teknic Freeway Textile Overpants - Motorcycle Superstore
Fieldsheer Four Season Mesh Pants - Motorcycle Superstore
Olympia Moto Sports - Men’s Airglide 2 Mesh Tech Over Pant
I may most likely end up with the Venture pants since they are the cheapest and I am a big fan of Tourmasters quality and value.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh... decisions decisions decisions

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have 20k miles on my Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants and (2.0) jacket. I like it, though I needed to pick up additional rain gear for when I ride all day in the rain.

·
Registered
341 Posts
+1 tourmaster venture. they are better for my 5'10'' body... all the other brands were WAY too long with a 34 or 36" waist. Requiring some tailoring if I wanted them to fit right.

tourmasters were primo right out of the bag.

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Alpinestars yet!?! I've got alpinestars textile pants and the fit is just right, very comfortable, and in my crash they did well (however it wasn't a "bad" wreck).

FWIW, I've also get an Alpinestars textile jacket and LOVE it, and an Alpinestars 2-pc leather racing suit and they all fit well, fit and finish is excellent, and from what I heard they stand up well to accidents.

Not cheap, but gear is the wrong place to go cheap.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
349 Posts
Firstgear textile air overpants. They have a zip out waterproof lining for the rainey days and it really does work :).

During winter I keep the waterproof liner zipped in as it really helps keep out the cold.

I went with my regular pant size and they fit very well. I got them from Newenough a couple of years ago though I did upgrade the knee armor.
Armor not tested!!!!

I wear them on my daily commute, they are great value and I have no complaints. Highly recommended.

Dave

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts