Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am desperate PLEASE PLEASE HELP I'll start from the beginning I have a 2003 r1 about 30k on it.. The bike was running good and smooth no problems at all very good ... I was going about 150mph and riding around everything was good. Came to a stop said bye to a friend then on my way home hit a stop light .. Check engine light came on.. Then the bike started running like complete crap bogging down and. Had a decrease in low end power which is in heard of on any r1 the sound of the exhaust I noticed also changed a little bit I don't know how to explain it except sounding a little faint or like something is clogged.. Anyways.. I started with spark plugs and and ignition coils fuel pump and checking all those things and replacing them a little better but I still had loss of power as well as the sound was still kind of "faint" coming out of the exhaust.. Eventaully i ordered another fuel pump a used oem thing that would fix it .. It didnt bike still ran poorly and it started to take a while to start when engine is cold i would have to sit there and crank and crank it would start but low rpm and when it got hot like over 200° the bike would stall ...Umm so it got to a point where I didn't know what to do.. I took it to a shop he checked the valve clearance came back good the throttle bodies were good as well and compression test was good over 125 on all cylinders umm he did find some codes he replaced the crank shaft position sensor and the air intake pressure sensor.. Cam shaft was good he said as well.. There's no ticking or clicking in the engine or anything like that... But after all that still no change and now the bike will not start it just cranks.. I am at a loss I have no idea he says he's not sure either and he will be looking at the wiring harness next.... Does anybody have any ideas

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
You need 3 things to get an ICE (internal Combustion Engine);
nventors.about.com/library/inventors/blinternalcombustion.htm
to work. Fuel, air and spark.
You check the spark by pulling a plug, grounding it against the frame and cranking the starter. If you see a spark, you got juice to at least one plug. Then you check fuel. That is usually pretty easy. To much and you can smell it. Run your finger around the inside of a carb. It should be moist. There also should be fuel in the float bowl, if it has a float bowl. Somebody designed a carb that didn't use float bowls but that was after fuel injection started coming from the factory. Since fuel injection is MUCH better the electric carbs were too little too late. So if you got fuel and spark, the problem is air. Blow out your filter and check to see if anything crawled up an air passage and died.
If you get into replacing parts and hoping you guessed right, start with the cheap ones first.
If we start a pool, I'm going with fuel. You have to take off the airbox to get at the carbs on most sport bikes. One tends to notice an air filter so f**ked it keeps the bike from starting. If the electrics were way out of plumb, you might have trouble cranking her. If it was just one plug or one carb, it would run rough but it should run. I would look first at the fuel lines (tubes) feeding the carbs, Pull them off and blow them out. Does that year R1 even have an electric fuel pump? Fuel pumps go click click click click when you turn the key on. At least on Jap Bikes. That sounds tells you it is working.
Good luck. Don't panic. Take your time and be logical. All that 5hit works for a reason. It stops working for a reason also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response nothing in the air box its clean it is fuel injected by the way not carberated and as far as I know it does have spark and all the injectors are clean as far as I know

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
When was the last valve adjustment? Did the service center do a leak down and compression test?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Thanks for the response nothing in the air box its clean it is fuel injected by the way not carberated and as far as I know it does have spark and all the injectors are clean as far as I know
Fuel injected. My bad, I wasn't sure when the switch was. Doesn't really change the fact that you need fuel, air and spark. Will it start with the air box off? Can you pull an injector out, put it in a glass gar and ground it then see if it is shooting fuel? I've done that with a car but I don't know if it is possible on a bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts