Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time posting so hopefully this is the correct place to post. I have an 06 zx14 that has been sitting in shed for the last month or two because its been too cold to ride. I took it out and it fired right up and I let it warm up and then cut it off. When I tried to restart it it just made a clicking sound like the battery was dead. After charging the battery for a while it did the same thing, so I bought a new battery and it was still doing the same thing like it was dead. Then I smelled gas and looked under the bike only to find gas dripping heavily from my headers, I then checked the oil level through the little glass and it was filled completely up, so when I drained the oil there was a ton of gas in the oil pan too! What is going on why would gas be in my oil, and does the 14 have some kind of safety feature that wouldn't let it start or even turn over to prevent further damage? PLEASE HELP

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I wouldn't say your fucked, or at least not yet. Sounds like your cylinders were flooded with gas and it leaked down. Gas in the oil occurs when the cylinders are flooded and gas leaks down, the engine is running extremely rich for long periods of time, or your rings are bad. There is always some gas that gets by the rings, especially when the engine is cold.

Drain the oil, replace. After that, if it still will not start, figure out why. The starter should turn the motor over even if it does not start. KISS. Check obvious things like the handlebar switch, kickstand, in neutral, etc. Check the battery terminal connections. Check voltage on the battery, even the new one (it should be high 12's or possibly low 13's for a recently charged battery) . They can need to be charged, plus the initial water added to them. Do you have a Power Commander installed? Do your other electronics work? If you get the bike to turn over, but not start, check the plugs. They may be fouled from the excess gas.

The fact that it was running earlier and YOU cut it off (rather than it cutting off on its own) lead me to believe that your problems are not that serious.

In the future, don't start the bike to warm it up. Start it up and ride it. If your not planning on riding it, make sure that the oil reaches operating temperature. Water temp and oil temp are not the same thing. If none of this works, and you can't figure it out, take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have a power commander that I installed roughly 6 months ago. The biek is not turning over at all just making the same exact sound a bad connection, or dead battery makes. I checked all the connections and they are perfect. The bike is an 06 but only has 9,000 miles on it. It never smoked or gave me any trouble at all. It definitely didn't get flooded from turning over because it never turned over since I spotted fuel coming from the crease in my header. I checked the fuses under the seat and everything was fine. I will check the injectors, and the fuel pressure regulator. I have tried to start even with the kickstand up and nothing changed and i figured it wouldn't be the kill switch because with the switch off the bike should do nothing not even make the ticking sound..thanks for giving me a little hope nobody wants to hear they are fucked

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Yes I have a power commander that I installed roughly 6 months ago. The biek is not turning over at all just making the same exact sound a bad connection, or dead battery makes. I checked all the connections and they are perfect. The bike is an 06 but only has 9,000 miles on it. It never smoked or gave me any trouble at all. It definitely didn't get flooded from turning over because it never turned over since I spotted fuel coming from the crease in my header. I checked the fuses under the seat and everything was fine. I will check the injectors, and the fuel pressure regulator. I have tried to start even with the kickstand up and nothing changed and i figured it wouldn't be the kill switch because with the switch off the bike should do nothing not even make the ticking sound..thanks for giving me a little hope nobody wants to hear they are fucked
Completely disconnect your Power Commander from the bike and see if you can get it to start then. PC's do go bad and the bike will not start (although they do usually turn over and just not fire). Just and idea.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Its hydrolocked. Your cylinder, at least one, is full of gas. Pull the plugs to see which one, or ones. Your battery was fine, the starter just cant turn the motor over like that. Don't start it with gas in your oil, either. Time to pull the tank....

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Its hydrolocked. Your cylinder, at least one, is full of gas. Pull the plugs to see which one, or ones. Your battery was fine, the starter just cant turn the motor over like that. Don't start it with gas in your oil, either. Time to pull the tank....
I have a hard time believing that even an injector that was stuck open would provide enough fuel to lock the motor in the amount of time that he had turned the key and tried to start it. He did have the bike running and then shut it off. It is not like a carb that can have a float problem and let fuel into the cylinder if the fuel is not shut off at rest, the 14 is FI.

If a injector was stuck, wouldn't the fuel pump run continuously and never prime?

OP...take the plugs out and see if the motor will turn over then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I went to remove my plugs, but didn't have the right extension. Also I have seen somewhere else where the ground wasn't good in the location behind the collant bolt. With a bad ground on a power commander what would the result be?

·
Registered
848 Posts
yes, injectors can stick open. haven't see it happen on a bike personally (not saying it couldn't happen). but yeah, they can stick and all that nice pressure that was there just lets the gas flow right into the cylinder. and if he tried to fire it back up, then the fuel will flow straight into that same cylinder until the computer stops the fuel pump when the bike doesn't start.

do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to ON and the start lever to Start (without actually starting it)? if you do, then more than likely that is at least good. if you are really good with wrenches and electrical, swap injectors around (once you find out which cylinder(s) is filling up) and leave the plugs out. if the cylinder is THAT full, you need to get it empty and aired out. after swapping injectors, you could turn it on, hear the pump prime, and see if the faulty injector is now filling up the cylinder. if it does, there ya go.

if you don't feel like doing all that, take it to a mechanic.
if you feel froggy, yank the injectors (if you know for a fact that the injector is the culprit), get them cleaned and flow tested/matched.

the fuel pumps normally prime for a bit until the computer sees a no start/crank condition, then it just stops the pump. those babies can sure flow some fuel in that short time. especially, if he repeatedly tries to start the bike or keeps hitting the start switch (or ignition) from OFF to ON.

good luck. if you don't feel that mechanically inclined, then by all means.... GET IT TO A MECHANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes when i turn the key on the fuel pump sounds exactly like it always does nice and strong. Is it a possibility that If i remove my headers (since i already have my plastics off) that I can see which cylinder the fuel is coming from? then ill know which injector or injectors is the culprit? since it seems impossible for all the injectors to go out at once, there shouldn't be fuel coming out of all for cylinders when i remove the headers is this correct?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I would totally remove power commander take it to the beach and float test it . Phuking problem causing bits of shite that seem to phuck up more bikes than they ever help .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha I hear you on that..only reason I got it was because I pulled the secondary throttle plates which kills the 14, and everyone told me That the computer couldn't compensate for how lean it would make the bike. Im at work now, I have been taking notes all day so I know what to do when I have a second to take another look..other than the injectors the pc3 is on the top of my list..the damn thing is maybe 5 to 6 months old if it has failed that fast, I dont want another one period

·
Registered
848 Posts
If you want to do that much work, but problem is, unless you get the compression to drop (remove the plugs), you are not going to be cranking the engine over to push out any fuel. if all 4 plugs are removed, it should be able to crank and you'll see fuel come SPRAYING out! (if there is a lot of fuel).

taking the headers off , i feel, would be extra effort when there are easier things to do like the Power Commander or plugs. just me.

keep us posted...

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
If you try to turn it over again with the plugs in it and it IS hydrolocked (and it very well could be) you risk damaging things..

Remove plugs, turn it over, if thats the issue and a cylinder is filling up with fuel, you need to find out whay. It could be as simple as laquering up because you didn't treat the fuel and left it parked so long (and ran it for short periods - bad idea all to itself).

Also, you'll need to flush the cases out well,, cheap oil, turn it over and run for a very short time, drain, repeat, then run decent oil.

If you're not inclined with these types of things, be very careful so you don't end up destroying a good motor.

Once you determine if fuel in the cylinders is an issue, you then decide which direction to take.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good route to take. I was reading in my owner's manual that if there is an ignition , or fuel injection problem the bike goes into "fail safe mode" and it stops the injection , ignition, and starter operation. It also said by pressing a couple buttons on my dash together that it will give me the error code. Hopefully it could tell me something, but yeah definitely gonna get plugs out and see what happens. Hopefully ill have time within the next day or 2

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
haha I hear you on that..only reason I got it was because I pulled the secondary throttle plates which kills the 14, and everyone told me That the computer couldn't compensate for how lean it would make the bike. Im at work now, I have been taking notes all day so I know what to do when I have a second to take another look..other than the injectors the pc3 is on the top of my list..the damn thing is maybe 5 to 6 months old if it has failed that fast, I dont want another one period
Every electrical problem I've had with my Kawasaki everyone I speak to always blames the pc3.

Not once has the power commander been the issue lol. I can't even blame Kawasaki. I crash the thing at least once a year and race it in anything mother nature has the audacity to throw at us. Stuff is gonna break as far as I'm concerned.

Just check and see if it's throwing a code. If none, I'd start with pulling the plugs and then verify the starter circuit is even working like those other guys were saying

·
Registered
20 Posts
do yourself a favor and quit trying to start it! get the extension and pull the plugs. sounds very much like injector failure. either held open or stuck. pull plugs, and drain oil. disconnect fuel injector power and try to crank with plugs out first.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts