Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i need sprockets. REAR for sure. i dont know about front. I can't tell if the front is worn out cause i dont know how to see it. I just got my first bike a couple days back and I can't tell. The rear has teeth missing so it needs it. The front, i put my finger into the cover and felt about 3 teeth and they were sharp and long. So i guess it's okay. Also, the front is STEEL while the rear is aluminum so that might be why. This is a 520 AFAM conversion. I also don't know if i should replace the chain. How do I check?? I pulled the chain right in the middle where the side stands are and it moved about 1 inch up and 1 inch down. So total moving distance is about 2 inches of "slack".. So should i look into getting the whole set? I can't afford the whole set so im trying to get different pieces off ebay. I found a rear sprocket 49 teeth for about 11.99 .. 2 days left. So i need to find a chain and front sprockets maybe..... How do i check which chain i need??

Man i need serious help. Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
okay so i need sprockets. REAR for sure. i dont know about front. I can't tell if the front is worn out cause i dont know how to see it. I just got my first bike a couple days back and I can't tell. The rear has teeth missing so it needs it. The front, i put my finger into the cover and felt about 3 teeth and they were sharp and long. So i guess it's okay. Also, the front is STEEL while the rear is aluminum so that might be why. This is a 520 AFAM conversion. I also don't know if i should replace the chain. How do I check?? I pulled the chain right in the middle where the side stands are and it moved about 1 inch up and 1 inch down. So total moving distance is about 2 inches of "slack".. So should i look into getting the whole set? I can't afford the whole set so im trying to get different pieces off ebay. I found a rear sprocket 49 teeth for about 11.99 .. 2 days left. So i need to find a chain and front sprockets maybe..... How do i check which chain i need??

Man i need serious help. Thanks
If your past your wear mark on your swingarm, and you have 2 inches of play, I'd say your chain is done.
Rule of thumb, if your replacing a worn sprocket or chain, best to replace everything at once. Going just off of feel on the front sprocket won't do it. You really need to get a manual, or search and see what chain and sprockets are stock on your bike if your wanting to go back to stock. Otherwise, just find a kit online for your bike, with the same gearing, and see what size chain they use. You still may need to remove some links, but always best to have it too long then short. And make sure that if you are going 520, that your sprockets and chain match. If your doing it yourself anyways, just pull the front cover off, and see what size main you have. You could count the links on your chain, too.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Personally, i would change all three at one time and use OEM stuff. Aluminum sprockets will wear about twice as fast as steel. You should be able to get 15K-20K out of OEM quality sprockets and chain.

If you are wanting more acceleration which can be accomplished by going with lighter wieght chain/sprockets, you can also just drop one tooth up front or go +2 in the rear and get the same affect with out sacrificing longevity.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. I forgot to mention that the stock gearing is 15/47 (front/rear). I think I will change all 3 at once. Anyone ever use Sunstar sprockets? How are they?

i can get a JT sprocket set and a EK chain for $112. Or a Jt front sprocket+Sunstar 49 teeth rear sprockets+Ek chain for $103.

Not much difference so I want to choose the best products. They're all steel and i can go with the 49 teeth in anyway. Thanks

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Don't forget that if you change your sprocket sizes, your speedometer will not be as accurate anymore. That can be fixed with a Speedohealer though. www.speedohealer.com

Sunstar is a good name, they have been around a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts