Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So bought the bike about a week ago, if that. Bike runs great just needed a new battery. I know the person i purchased it from so i know the bike was taken care of. It only has 17k miles on it !!! Anyways as I was learning all the things about it taking it slow and all that it was alright running okay. Right now it will not go over 40 mph. I can get it started (eventually) but it wont stay idling with the clutch on even, i have to rev it. if i don't rev it at all, then it dies. While i am riding, whenever i downshift if i dont keep revving it, it dies. Slso, periodically in first gear, sometimes in neutral the exhaust will make a popping sound that scares the crap out of me.. I added seafoam to it, but have yet to drain it and then put it back in which i also plan to do. I am going to clean and rebuild the carbs, and change the oil sometime this week. But it is also making the sound like almost a chain link is loose and its like 'lapsing' or something, and i dont know if it even has to do with the chain. But does anyone have any suggestions for any of these problems?

This is my first bike, I had only ever ridden dirt bikes, and this is my baby. She is in great condition, just think she she needs some TLC.
ALSO, when i do clean the carbs, what are some suggestion as to what products to use to clean them?
Thanks so much everyone!!!

Brittany.
If any of you think it would be easier to email or call me with your suggestions please do. PLEASE only text me about the bike... no creepers. i beg of you.

405-693-2160

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
What is the year make and model of bike. If it has only 17k miles on it and it has carbs then its a good chance the carbs are your main issue due to sitting to long without the carbs being drained. If your mechanically inclined enough to take the carbs off and be able to sync them and such then go for it however you might find it better all around to let someone that deals with carbs all the time just do the work. It usually don't cost much in the big scheme of things to have the carbs cleaned up really good and synced. Another thing to check is all the basic stuff... chain, sprockets, brakes and so on. After you get the carbs done see how it acts and go from there.

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
I agree that it sounds like a fueling problem, probably clogged carbs. Only 17k miles isn't a good thing if it has been stored outside or left to sit without the fuel stabilized for a long time.

It's a Suzuki twin, correct? Those are pretty simple bikes to work on, so you shouldn't have any problems checking and adjusting the drive chain and everything else. I don't remember if it has one or two carbs. Probably two since it's a twin. You will want to check control cables (clutch and throttle) to make sure they don't have any issues. If it's a later GS500 with bodywork, you will have to take that apart, but you will be doing that off and on as long as you own the bike. May as well get into it now.

Those are a lot of fun. My brother had an earlier one for a while. He rode it on the street, then raced it. As far as I know, it got converted back to the street after he sold it.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Gaolee doing research and looking at the profile.... good job man. Yea a 96 GS500 with 17k miles has likely been sitting a while. If a carb bike sits to long without fuel stabilizer or the bowls being drained then they get clogged up and run like trash if they run at all. Honestly you just need to be honest with yourself on how mechanical your mind works. Some people just don't get mechanics at all and that is fine as long as they accept that and have their stuff worked on by mechanics and such. On the other hand if you are good with figuring out mechanical stuff then with youtube and the right tools there isn't much you cant do on your bike. Like with most things the hardest part the first time is just the diving in... after that first step you find it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts