Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ninja 250 started leaking coolant yesterday. Has anyone else had this problem with this or other bikes, or know what could be wrong? The water pump looks fine, but it's coming from that area. The O-rings were just replaced. Do the gaskets need sealant? Thanks in advance for any help!

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
clean the motor, and run it until it starts to leak again. Then you'll know exactly where it's comming from. Then try putting the bolts at the correct torque (sometimes too tight can be bad, too). If that doesn't help, replace the gasket/oring in question. If the bike is a beater, you can try using a sealant, but that's not a proper fix.

Be weary about the coolant flowing accross gasket surfaces, too. I thought my cylinder base gasket was leaking because I saw coolant streaming from it, but it turned out the leak was above the gasket, in the orings on the pipe that goes into the block. Just a heads up in case your leak is in a place like that, too..

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Reading between the lines, I'm guessing you had a leak and sought to fix it with the oring gasket replacement. Thats not usually the problem. Is it coming from a small hole in the bottom of the pump? If so, the pump is bad. If it's coming from another place on the pump, its likely that you pinched an oring on installation.

I can't really picture your setup, but I'd start there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. Now I'm just waiting for the weather to clear up :rolleyes so I can work on it some more. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ductape...That's the way we do it here in A-Dale...LOL!Either that or some nice JB-Weld! :moon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts