Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:)
Hello everyone,
I am a 35 years old soon-to-be rider (provided that I get my permit this weekend) living in Transylvania...I never rode before, except for the riding school I attended this month, on a 125cc beaten up Yamaha. The "school" actually consists of some basic exercises required to pass the exam, so nothing more then a little slalom, some "figure of 8s", obstacle evasions and emergency braking. I manage it all rather well, no dropping the bike (knock on wood).
Also, I have been driving with a stick and clutch for the last 16 years, for about 100.000 miles and I had my share of near calls on the road, enough that I know exactly what surprises the road can offer you at any given moment. I drive well, rather sporty yet a bit conservative and paranoid about what can be found behind the blind corner...
Now, all this talk leads to my question: Should I buy a Suzuki SV650 as my first bike? I know this was asked before and I read most of the answers, yet since those questions came from young people I would kindly ask of you to answer me considering my age, background and experience...would those matter on an SV or would I just squeeze that twitchy throttle by mistake and spill myself?

Thank you for your patience,
Sergiu

PS I am also 5'9'' so height might be an issue too...

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
That is sort of the outer limit of beginner bikes IMO. It's a much better idea than a 600, that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
First of all, welcome to the board.

I know this was asked before and I read most of the answers, yet since those questions came from young people I would kindly ask of you to answer me considering my age, background and experience
I'd say an SV650 is a decent choice for a first bike, if at the top of the range as others said. Not being an I4 supersport is definitely good.

As far as being older and all, unfortunately it doesn't really matter much. Sure, you'll hopefully be less inclined to be as stupid as a young person. But being 16 with no motorcycle experience and being 35 with no motorcycle experience is still no motorcycle experience.

My analogy of skiing always comes up. Doesn't matter how much you "respect" the slope, everybody starts out as a noob. Driving experience in a car does give you an idea of how traffic behaves and all that, but riding a motorcycle is just completely different than driving a car. Not only the controls and whatnot, but some of the main skills are counter-intuitive, and require conditioning yourself to become second nature. Counter-steering, not chopping the throttle and target fixating, etc.

The trick is to get a bike thats easier to ride, so that you can get those skills up to speed quickly and commit that stuff to muscle memory. It takes waaaay longer to build that confidence on a bike that's constantly and actively trying to kill you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
A beginner is a beginner, regardless of age, and you will develop your skills faster and safer on a bike that doesn't bite back so hard when you make mistakes.

Hopefully you are less reckless than you were when you were younger, and will have a more mature approach to learning the necessary riding skills. But your reflexes, balance, flexibility and eyesight probably aren't as good as they used to be. So you'll need the wisdom and judgment that come with age.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
If you refer to yourself as a "gentleman", you are restricting yourself to BMW or maybe Moto Guzzi to sustain your image. :)

The range of bike models offered in Europe is somewhat different than we have in the States, and I'm not sure what's available in your neck of the woods. I would look for something in a 400-500cc twin, or even a single if you won't be doing much expressway travel.

The essential difference in buying a motorcycle compared to a car is that quite often you don't really know what you want until you've experienced it. It is not at all uncommon to go through half a dozen bikes in quick succession as your skills mature. It's best to gain that experience as inexpensively (used bikes) and painlessly (slower, more forgiving bikes) as possible.

The SV-650 is not the worst starter bike in the world by any means, but let's put it this way - the fiest time I rode one, I was surprised that the front wheel came off the ground slightly when I upshifted at 170km/hr. Because of my experience, it was a pleasant surprise.

KeS

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Agreed with the above only I tend to say... SVs are not beginner bikes. I was heartily surprised after 10,000 miles of experience when I got mine that people suggested them we beginner bikes. They just aren't.

They are great for people with dirt experience or previous experience many moons ago but for rank beginners... No. Not so much.

Better them a SS. No question.
But flat beginner bike.. not really. 4-500 are way better options.

Reactions: bassjones

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey, being a while since I came online but still no bike. Still no $$ dam economy not helping hehe. Reading what you guys said 650 are not beginner which I thought they where now Im more incline in getting a ninja 500 is that much more difference? one from another.

Also Im not considering the 250 now since when I rode one I felt it was screaming when I gun it. I dont know if its me since Im 6'3 214 pounds or is it normal to feel that an advice will be good because maybe Ill start considering the 250. I rode a rebel 250 if its matter.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
As far as the ex-500 goes. If you looking for a straight line blast you won't get it. You'll have enough to beat traffic but you won't be keeping up with supersport.

Learn to ride the bike in the turns and twisties and when you upgrade you'll be a much better rider.

The 500 is an amazing bike. I've always pushed it as a beginner bike. I put 10k on it in one year. And sold it for $700 more then I paid for it.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
848 Posts
35 is middle aged? dang I'm old. i agree that the SV is a tad much, 500s are excellent choices!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey, being a while since I came online but still no bike. Still no $$ dam economy not helping hehe. Reading what you guys said 650 are not beginner which I thought they where now Im more incline in getting a ninja 500 is that much more difference? one from another.

Also Im not considering the 250 now since when I rode one I felt it was screaming when I gun it. I dont know if its me since Im 6'3 214 pounds or is it normal to feel that an advice will be good because maybe Ill start considering the 250. I rode a rebel 250 if its matter.

Thanks
I've ridden two bikes in my life, my friends new 250 and the ninja 500 I bought. To someone with 600 or so miles between the two, my 500 feels like a missile to me. The 250 is so light and tossable though, which is pretty awesome. The 500 might not be too high up on the bike ladder for speed, but a sub 5 sec 0-60 is nothing to sneeze at. I was really happy with my choice and can definitely see it being my bike for couple riding seasons as I develop my skills.

Fwiw, I'm 6'0 200.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, everyone, for your comments, including the British gentleman that assumed I would be learning on a Jawa based on my nationality...actually those were not bad bikes, I am told, but I haven't seen one since childhood. The common theme around here is the Yamaha R6/R1/Suzuki GSXR and finding a moderate displacement bike is not very easy...and, Sequentialshift, that would be Pennsylvania in the US, not Transilvania, where I live, indeed.
As for the bike I am going to get, what I managed to find locally is a Ducati 600 Monster, a Kawasaki ER5, a Suzuki ES500, a Kawasaki EL250...I will keep looking for the next week and eventually go for one of those if nothing new (in the same tune) appears.
Thank you again and I'll let you know what I got!

P.S.
I got my license yesterday, so "de jure" I am a motorcyclist...if not yet "de facto" :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm glad I put 9k on a Ninja 250 before I bought my SV650.

I'm used to its power now, all whopping 70 horses, but when I first got on it...wow. I was a surprise from the 30 I'd gotten used to.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Thank you, everyone, for your comments, including the British gentleman that assumed I would be learning on a Jawa based on my nationality...actually those were not bad bikes, I am told, but I haven't seen one since childhood. The common theme around here is the Yamaha R6/R1/Suzuki GSXR and finding a moderate displacement bike is not very easy...and, Sequentialshift, that would be Pennsylvania in the US, not Transilvania, where I live, indeed.
As for the bike I am going to get, what I managed to find locally is a Ducati 600 Monster, a Kawasaki ER5, a Suzuki ES500, a Kawasaki EL250...I will keep looking for the next week and eventually go for one of those if nothing new (in the same tune) appears.
Thank you again and I'll let you know what I got!

P.S.
I got my license yesterday, so "de jure" I am a motorcyclist...if not yet "de facto" :)
Any of those sound feasible. Your local dealer situation may be a consideration, too.

KeS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah .. that .. and I was right .
Er, no...I just re-read my last statement and I realized it can be confusing, so I'll rephrase:
While there is a Pennsylvania in the US and also a few Transylvanias as swell (to my surprise), I DO live in the Romanian Transylvania, you know, in the Carpathians mountains range..it is a town called Zalau, pretty close to the Hungarian border...
Also, I found this today...going to see if it is ok:
kawasaki - tocmai.ro

Sergiu

1 - 20 of 20 Posts